I Want To Breed. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #31 (permalink)

You sound really young. What are your plans for your career or secondary education? Breeding is going to interfere with either of these things. Also breeding is expensive I would wait until you are secure in a job and making enough money to support your breeding goals.
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Elite Member

Why are people discouraging the OP, they sound like they have it right. They want to breed in the future, they want to do it right (training, showing, health tests, etc etc), and they have a mentor.

I say good for the OP for taking the time to think it through. You know, there are people who only breed once a year or even once every other year. You don't need to be "loaded" if you are one of these breeders.
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #33 (permalink)

I agree, it's no wonder so many people go to "questionable" sources for GSDs when anyone who might actually spend the time to do it right gets discouraged or interrogated.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I don't think there is any thing wrong with wanting to be a breeder. As far as I can tell, you want to learn as much as possible before actually breeding and that is a great thing. We are always going to have an abundance of uninformed breeders so IMO we need people to breed who want to do their homework first. Good luck and have fun in your quest! My only advice is to take your time and develop a very deep understanding of the breed first.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I agree, it's no wonder so many people go to "questionable" sources for GSDs when anyone who might actually spend the time to do it right gets discouraged or interrogated.
I don't think anyone is discouraging or "interrogating" the OP--I think most people are simply advising to take it slow, learn as much as she can, go to shows, trials, etc. and find some good mentors. We want to see it done the RIGHT way, not the quick way. OP is 17 years old and has her whole life ahead of her, no need to rush... I for one am glad to see young people getting interested in becoming a breed steward.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't think she is rushing. If she where rushing, she'd be doing it now. She said she wants to take the time to do it right. She said she's going to do it the "right way" (titling, health testing, etc etc), and still people are being negative but not in a direct manner, like saying something like "oh you need a lot of money to be a breeder" "why don't you get a job first" etc etc. She's obviously aware of all the things involved.
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd love to breed, but I just don't like bitches. So far I'm 0-for-3 in the "getting puppies out of males" department.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #38 (permalink)

Haha, me too! My solution is to have my sister and her boyfriend keep the bitch if I ever find one I like.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

Hello peoples,

I am currently reading more about breeding, and what it's going to take. I'm excited to hopefully start breeding in the FUTURE. I am also reading this United Schutzhund Clubs of America - Breed Standard hoping it's going to help. I'm going to be going through everything on there. Thank you for the advice and information and everything! Keep posting what you feel I need to know, besides I am 17 and apparently rushing it??? Like one person said, if I was rushing it, I'd be breeding right now. BUT, right now I KNOW I would be a BYB if I was rushing it, and like I said...I want to be a reputable breeder whom people can trust, know, and respect. I don't want to breed for money, I want to better the breed. So far, I am learning what it takes.
RileyMay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would say to raise one German Shepherd from puppy first, take full responsibility for the training and care of the dog, including financial responsibility. If parents are not into breeding, a home is needed where the dog' are allowed, including those that are returned. Rentals won't be suitable for that. And make sure the person you date approves of you spending huge amounts of time and money on dogs instead of going out, partying and other stuff people value. Education and a job to support your hobby is essential.

Watching a cat deliver kittens and finding it interesting and deducing you want to breed sounds awfully naive. Especially if you have little or no experience with the breed. A good breeder should be able to provide all kinds of support for the dogs sold long after purchase.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.