I Want To Breed. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Cliffson, the problem with all that knowledge, is: Where does it come from and how many years does it take to obtain it?

One can argue that you have to start somewhere. When my family started they didn't have all that knowledge already. They had a great deal and knew what they wanted but the extensive in-depth knowledge, they have now, comes from years and years of being involved with the breed and breeding. I think my dad is involved with the breed for over 50 years now. He wasn't born with the knowledge. It took him that long to obtain it.
If you have to wait that long to become a breeder you might as well never try being a breeder at all.

Everyone started somewhere and I'm almost certain that most breeders started out with some/good knowledge but built their extensive knowledge over the years instead of the other way around. That's just the way it is.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 02-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The general public will never stop breeding their dogs. It just simple biology. For someone to make the decision to do strive to do it right is admirable.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Start with conformation and Schutzhund first. See where you are in 5 years before deciding to enter the world of breeding. As any breeder on here will tell you, it's not an easy job! No reason to make declarations now. Just get into the dog world more and if breeding is a possibility for you, make that decision when you come to it.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Good for you for knowing what you want to do. Since you have your breeder as a mentor, guide and confidant you are better off than some. Do you already have your foundation bitch? I am going to assume yes, since you mentioned your breeder already. You still have to get your ducks in a row (and you already said this) before it will happen anyway. Title your bitch, do health checks, and if at that time all things look good, go for it. Use the years of experience your breeder has to help select a stud that would be a compliment to your bitch.

Have you ever helped an animal deliver before? I already had more knowledge about delivering animals before I ever bred my bitch. That itself is its own book. If you are able to assist in any deliveries, between now and when ever you do breed, go for it. You have lots of time to gain some knowledge about breeding.

I didnt pick the studs for my bitch. Well, it was my final decision. The first litter was with my trainers dog. We sought out the knowledge of others to see how the pair might produce. Both of us knew the personality traits of both dogs, good and bad. People that know both dogs gave input on pros and cons. Turned out a fantastic litter. I actually think I was able to pick out the pups personalities and match them with their owners too. I actually have a pup from that litter working for a police department. But he didnt start out that way. Was returned to me at 22 months old, out of control. If it wasnt for my trainer and her connections, I dont know what I would have done with him. I had him in the house, and the second litter I bred in the house. Total chaos! He was aggressive with the puppies so crate rotation had to be enlisted.

I forgot to mention something with the first litter. You need to be prepared for the unexpected. She delivered eight puppies. The eighth puppy was born with an open abdomen. After some research, this is almost a year later, I found out about canine herpes virus. A friend lost an entire litter and didnt know why. In 20yrs of breeding, what did she do different. Exposing a pregnant bitch to other dogs was bad. Two weeks before Yoko delivered she placed HIT at a specialty show. I had continued to take her to training and shows during her pregnancy. Big mistake. I know better now.

You have lots of time to get involved in training and showing. Seeing what other dogs are like. Temperaments, conformation, etc. You will then be able to see what positive and negative traits your dog possess.

Breeding, believe it or not, is the easy part. What comes before and after is the hard part. (That is why there are so many back yard breeders with poor quality dogs, and successfully breeding them)
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you all so much for the informative answers, and questions. I can tell you now, I have helped delivered kittens. It was very interesting, and I enjoyed helped bring in a little bundle of joy into the world.
RileyMay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
This is just breaking the surface. I just wanted to give you a heads up and say good for you for going for what you believe in and want. But think less about the overall picture of trying to get a litter of puppies as soon as possible. Slow down, enjoy the ride, learn as much as you can, from as many people as you can (because no matter what you will ALWAYS deal with biases from every party), and when you get there, the blood, sweat and tears will be that much more worthwhile and the dogs you produce will be completely worth it. You won't regret a minute of it. You are 17, take your time, there really is no rush.
I agree! I'm also 17 and would love to become a breeder however we're still young and naive and need more time to reflect upon the subject and think about how much money we have to put into this. My dog's breeder sold the pups with various things such as a free pack of Royal Canin food (they were weaned), a microchip, first vaccine, wormer, flea treatment, Gwen Bailey's 'The perfect puppy' book, papers, four weeks free insurance ect. Which I think was highly responsible of her (-: She will always take any of her bred dogs back too. Which is another thing we should consider. We wouldn't want our beautifully bred dogs to be ending up in the shelter/wrong hands. A house check is permitted to. We also need to prepare for controversy. Some believe it's right to breed traditional coat length and colours. While others while produce long coated Shepherds. Or blue's/whites/livers. Preparing for all this sometimes scares me, I mean threads could be made on specific forums to criticise, ridicule our dogs. However it's all in a days work, I wish you good luck!

Last edited by tessthebear; 02-24-2012 at 08:37 AM.
tessthebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

I commend people who strive to breed good dogs.

For me, I have never had the inclination to do so. One of my best friends bred gsd's for quite some time, if I wanted a "fix" I could always go there. But I don't have the desire to do it..Heartache, MONEY, and alot of time involved.

Easier for me to go buy what I want

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Buy yourself a quality female puppy, get her temperment tested and put the necessary titles on her. By this time you will have a better understanding of her and wheather you want to breed her if she has sound genetics.
If you are in South La. there are a few people that train Schutzhund and a couple clubs that you can visit. There is also a group around Shreveport if you are in North La.
ed1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm not a breeder and I know next to nothing about German Shepherds, but I think while you're still young, getting into more schooling or a job that allows you to handle a wide variety of dogs and dog issues might help. Examples would be vet tech or trainer.

From a buyer's perspective, I want a breeder who can give me basic advice on health issues, training issues, nutrition issues, grooming suggestions, etc. I think experience in any one of these fields would help you along your path. As an added bonus, some of them can even help pay bills until you've achieved your goal.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyMay View Post
I want to breed West German Showline, and my breeder is going to help me.
Who is your breeder? Hopefully, they are ethical and responsible, and their dogs are doing more than just breeding. You absolutely must have a mentor, and a good mentor is gold. However, a mediocre mentor can perpetuate mediocre dogs and ideas, and will suck the life right out of the breed.

I thought I wanted to be a breeder when I was 17, too! Then I got into veterinary medicine when I was about 20, volunteered at the local shelter, and started learning how to groom. Within a couple of years, I could no longer imagine being a breeder!

I suggest you get some background in caring for animals before you go into breeding. Study to be a vet tech, or get a job at a local vet clinic, kennel, or shelter. Get some animal knowledge and experience under your belt FIRST. I imagine you are still living with your parents, and are still in high school. Are you planning to go to college, or get a job right out of high school? Where are you going to live? You must make sure your house and your neighbors are amenable to a dog breeding operation. You must make certain you have a good, reliable source of income because breeding is very expensive when done the right way--remember, you will NOT make money breeding. Any profit you might see from puppy sales will be eaten up by caring for your dogs, medical emergencies, x-rays, testing, trialing, showing.

DO NOT get an animal you intend to breed until you are really ready and able, and have a specific goal in mind. You want to raise German showlines, AND police dogs? With all due respect to the SL breeders, these are two different goals. Not saying it can't be done, but top show lines do not often go on to become police k9s. They generally are looking for working lines.

You also have to train and title your dogs in SchH before you can breed if you are doing it the German way. Join a SchH club now, and observe. When you get your first brood bitch, she will be your foundation, so you must have a very special one. What if she doesn't make the cut, not able to get that SchH title or conformation rating you want? What will you do with her?

So you see, breeding is quite fraught. If after reading all this, you are still excited to learn and watch, and then do all the things you need to do, then I'd say you are on the right track to becoming a future breeder!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.