Kennel Name Help? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
vom Eisenraben or vom Traumfaenger are the only ones that I'd suggest. The others are just not... what I'd consider as a Kennelname (I'm a German as well).
Awesome, those are my favorites anyway! Thank you for your input. Since you speak German, can I ask you what I would do about traumfänger, because obviously when I get a domain name I will not be able to use the umlaut in the url. So should I just leave it out (traumfanger) or do I spell it traumfaenger in the url, and just use the umlaut when I can? Is it interchangeable? Not sure how to handle that if I use that one.
vomtraumfänger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
None of them are in the SV SW database
Thank you so much for looking, I appreciate it
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
Awesome, those are my favorites anyway! Thank you for your input. Since you speak German, can I ask you what I would do about traumfänger, because obviously when I get a domain name I will not be able to use the umlaut in the url. So should I just leave it out (traumfanger) or do I spell it traumfaenger in the url, and just use the umlaut when I can? Is it interchangeable? Not sure how to handle that if I use that one.
if it's not taken yet, I'd use traumfaenger or vom-traumfaenger or zwinger-vom-traumfaenger, zwingervomtraumfaenger, vomtraumfaenger, traumfaenger-german-shepherds, traumfaengershepherds...

any of these would probably work BUT to make it easy for Americans I'd use traumfanger instead of traumfaenger.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

What's the difference between "von" and "vom?"

I tend to prefer the names that are preceded by vom.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
if it's not taken yet, I'd use traumfaenger or vom-traumfaenger or zwinger-vom-traumfaenger, zwingervomtraumfaenger, vomtraumfaenger, traumfaenger-german-shepherds, traumfaengershepherds...

any of these would probably work BUT to make it easy for Americans I'd use traumfanger instead of traumfaenger.
Okay, how about www.vomtraumfanger.com? So you're saying just leave out the umlaut on the url and the "e", right? I like that better anyway, simpler. But I will still use the umlaut in the text on my website because it's awesome
Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
What's the difference between "von" and "vom?"

I tend to prefer the names that are preceded by vom.
I like vom better too. Even though it isn't really just a matter of opinion . . . it actually depends which gender the noun is . . . feminine gets "von" and masculine/neuter gets "vom"
Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
Okay, how about www.vomtraumfanger.com? So you're saying just leave out the umlaut on the url and the "e", right? I like that better anyway, simpler. But I will still use the umlaut in the text on my website because it's awesome
Yes, that is perfect. I'd get that registered right away before somebody else snatches it away. And yes, It's simpler for the english speaking population, so I'd leave it at traumfanger
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, that is perfect. I'd get that registered right away before somebody else snatches it away. And yes, It's simpler for the english speaking population, so I'd leave it at traumfanger
Okay, I bought the domain name. So the web address is mine anyway, but how do I register the name so no one can take it from me if I haven't had any reg'd litters yet? Is there any other way to claim it if you haven't started breeding yet?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I like vom Eisenraben or vom Traumfanger best as well. I agree the meaning of the other names just doesn't seem appropriate for a kennel.

While I like the sound of the second, if it were me I'd probably go with the first due to the special personal meaning.

Also keep in mind that that umlaut won't just be a problem with website addresses, but also on AKC papers. You can't use an umlaut in AKC registered names, so you'll have to either leave it out or turn it into ae, which can get confusing to people when they see two different spellings of the same name.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

So I don't have much input on the Kennel name, but I love Big Star! I have a cottage up there I bought from my Aunt a couple of years ago. My parents have a cottage up there...all my summers have/are spent up there! I just stopped up their yesterday to drop a trailer off, they got quite a bit of snow up there! I love your Hypothetical kennel name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I like the last one, it's cool in English, easy to say even if you don't speak any German, and how can you have a German kennel name without an umlaut?

I am friends with a German college professor and we were making up hypothetical kennel names for me, mine is "zum Großen Sterne". Ever summer my family goes to Big Star Lake which we just call "Big Star" (everyone drops the "Lake"). It's my favorite place ever, very important to me so I wanted that as my hypothetical kennel name and that's what he came up with. He said place names can use "zum" and adding the "e" to "Stern" makes it sort of old fashion dative noun.

Starting the search for my next family member!
Danielle
Danielle609 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.