Is this a good sized kennel for a large breed dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Is this a good sized kennel for a large breed dog?

Here is the kennel:

6X12X6H, W/ 2 CANVAS TOPS, RUN, KENNEL,OUTDOOR, KENNELS, DOG RUNS, PENS, KENNELS | eBay

2 Questions:

1) is this a good kennel run for a large breed dog?
2) is that a good price for that kennel run?

The reason why I am asking is I was talking to one of my breeding mentors and we were talking about his dogs and he disclosed that his dogs are outside in runs. So I thought about it and was thinking, "Since my parents own their land and most siberians prefer to be outside, what would be wrong with me getting my foundation for my kennel as long as she or he isn't outside by themself?" My father doesn't mind if I have an outside dog so there's no problem there.

You can just answer the questions or you can comment on what I am thinking. If you comment on what I am thinking, please do not be harsh.
GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have no problem with runs, but will the dog ever come inside? How much interaction will s/he get daily? Your dad would probably mind an outside dog if it got bored and started barking and howling all day and night. I bet it gets boring in a run if left out there all alone, day in and day out, only getting interaction during feeding time. (Not saying you'd do that, though).

As far as the size of the kennel itself, I have no input for you, unfortunately.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
I have no problem with runs, but will the dog ever come inside? How much interaction will s/he get daily? Your dad would probably mind an outside dog if it got bored and started barking and howling all day and night. I bet it gets boring in a run if left out there all alone, day in and day out, only getting interaction during feeding time. (Not saying you'd do that, though).

As far as the size of the kennel itself, I have no input for you, unfortunately.
Come inside? No, but that breeder I was talking to does not usually bring his dogs inside.

Interaction with me or with another dog? Or both?

As for being left alone out there 24/7, I already have that figured out. I have an eye on a older breeding quality female. So I'd have a show prospect puppy and that older show prospect female together. If not in the same kennel run, they will be side by side and able to interact.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you know what you'll use for the ground surface? Most people I know that have had problems with their kennels have been with the ground, not necessarily the sides. There are issues to consider like drainage, can the dog dig out, sanitation, etc.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

How much time will the dog spend in the kennel? If it will mostly just be for sleeping then that should be fine. If the dog is out there with little human interaction or time out of the kennel then I would be looking at a 10X20 at least and probably something more like 20X20. I have a 10X10 kennel that gets used maybe 2 hours per day and IMO that is too small.

Putting two dogs side by side can result in some rather unpleasant interactions like fence fighting, fence running, barking, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

For ground surface I am considering concrete but am unsure about it. I am concerned it may hurt their feet.

Time outside the kennel, I would say 4-5 hours a day. I am not completely sure about that. The least is 3 hours, I do know that.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

The kennel floor will need to either be block or cement. In warmer climates I have also seen them put up on raised platforms built at a slight downgrade with the floor made of treated 2X wood on its side with the boards separated slightly to allow drainage. Underneath is sand. This allows for air circulation. These kennels, though, were meant for when the owner was at work and not some place the dogs lived 24/7. They also had a 1 acre fenced in yard with a 5' fence for when the owner was home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

For $900 you can build one for much less with minimal tools and skill required. You may want something wider and a little longer.

One of my very early topics shows a few pictures, and you can also pickup the vibe of outdoor living dogs and some other members opinions on that...

My dog comes inside for nights and at times during the day, however at this time he is leashed or in his crate. The run is more for an area to be outdoors yet he is still contained. He does get walks and training sessions throughout the day. It's worked well for us.

Interaction with you is important and should not be disregarded. The "run" is not it's exercise.

I don't think that the 2 dogs should have open fence between them. The areas should isolate them visually from one another, but I don't breed nor have a second dog.

FWIW, the breeder I got my pup from, who has 30 years of experience, has 28 dogs and all but two are outdoors all year long. (I live in Ontario)
cowboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I found one, I found one! It is 10 x 20 x 6!

Dog Kennels in a kit 10 x 10 x 20 Dog Kennel

And yes, I will do everything in my power to interact and be with my dogs. If I feel like this can't work period, I won't do it period.

However, keep in mind siberians are different than GSDs.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Since this is a GSD board people are assuming the kennel is for GSD and not Siberians.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.