Is this a good sized kennel for a large breed dog? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Call a fencing company for a quote.
I still think you can build it for less.

Even with this kit you will still need roofing for shelter from the elements.

For the base, I graded the ground, used screening mix and tamped it down. folowing a light hosing, I laid patio stones and then filled the gaps with magic sand to bind it all together. i have found this base to be easy to clean and maintain.
cowboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Since this is a GSD board people are assuming the kennel is for GSD and not Siberians.
I apologize, I should have made that clear from the beginning.
GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Why dont you wait until you are old enough to move out of your fathers house to buy a dog? It seems like you really want a dog so you're thonking of any way to make it work. Patience will pay off in the long run.
IllinoisGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisGSD View Post
Why dont you wait until you are old enough to move out of your fathers house to buy a dog? It seems like you really want a dog so you're thonking of any way to make it work. Patience will pay off in the long run.

I am 21, will be 22 this year.

Really, the only con to this situation is they'd have to be outside dogs. We own our land, so not extra charges for owning a dog here. It's out in the country with only one neighbor who didn't mind my last siberian at all.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Ace952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

since this is not GSD, but a husky, I would make sure this is a VERY secure kennel. Huskies are notorious for escaping, no fault of their own as they are extremely active dogs and are bred to RUN. Gorgeous dogs, I would love to have one but I have had a dog that enjoyed escaping and it was not fun to have to supervise his every move in the back yard so he didnt climb our 6ft brick wall. Good luck!

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
GSD4LIFE21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4LIFE21 View Post
since this is not GSD, but a husky, I would make sure this is a VERY secure kennel. Huskies are notorious for escaping, no fault of their own as they are extremely active dogs and are bred to RUN. Gorgeous dogs, I would love to have one but I have had a dog that enjoyed escaping and it was not fun to have to supervise his every move in the back yard so he didnt climb our 6ft brick wall. Good luck!
I second this. Actually I have a husky at home for training and believe me... it NEEDS a roof.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That kennel kit is using 12.5 gage wire. The husky will chew through it. I had one of those kennels, actually two put together. They are very flimsy.

What I did was got a contractor to pour cement, and then built the kennels with 4x4 posts, separated by 2x4s and then 9 guage wire stretched and stapled. 9 gage is MUCH thicker/heavier than 12.5. I had the gates built with 9 gage as well. Lots of dog kennels gates are 13 gage, but these the dogs will go through.

6'x10' I think is a little small. Mine are 10'x15 or 12x14. I think huskies need to run, have more energy even than GSDs. I do use concrete as a base, but I have a wood platform/shelter in the runs so they can get up off the concrete and rest off of concrete. I also use cots in my kennels.

I would suggest looking up pending laws in your area specific to dog breeding. Currently Ohio is trying to pass one that requires 4'x16' for dogs over 40 pounds. Anyhow it might make sense to consider any laws or pending laws when sizing your kennel.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I appreciate everyone's suggestions in this thread, but it will be a while before it bears fruit.

I rethought it through and I honestly think it best not only to wait for a dog, but to wait before I start my breeding program. I want it so bad that I can taste, but I must be patient. I am going to delay quick pleasure for something greater.

Someday, I will get me a german shepherd and start my sibe kennel. Til then, I will use what I know to help others.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just an addendum to this thread, found this today:

WARNING!-DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM K9KENNELSTORE.COM - page 1 - German Shepherd Dog

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.