Do you sell your puppies at Christmas? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Replies: 8

Breeders: 1

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hey, figure after 12 hours and the breeders haven't bothered to reply it's fair game to insert your own opinion :-P
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My Ks were born on Halloween...so they are 8 weeks old on Dec 26th....3 are flying to people I have been in contact with - some for a few years....they are not "Christmas Puppies"....one will be able to go home locally that week - met buyer about 6 months ago, young professional couple, he an FBI agent, she from Germany with warmblood horses, so not a Christmas "present"....the others that will be flying will fly AFTER the holiday craziness...no way am I putting pups on planes between Christmas and New Years....

Have had a few inquiries about presents for Christmas - but from people who I have been in contact with over time as well....

the Christmas puppy inquiries - I just don't have anything available.....

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope, if we happen to have a litter ready to go to their new homes around Chirstmas time, we hold them till after the New Year.

Not only to keep away the puppy buyer doing it out of impulse and/or wanting a puppy as a Christmas gift, but also because x-mas time is a very stressful time for a lot of families... having other family members coming, traveling, etc. No need to put a puppy into that kind of stress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have not noticed Nikon's breeder "hold" puppies because of Christmas just because (unless the new family asked for that). A few years ago I "borrowed" a puppy over the holidays (breeder wasn't sure which one(s) to keep so a few friends took one for some individual attention and training).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Honestly Laurie...
The Karma/Pascha puppies are available for homes on Dec 13th (8wks old).....so technically...some people might consider them Xmas time puppies.
I have been "screening" prospects for over 2 months.....so I am satisfied...and even though they are "available" to new homes in December...they are not Xmas Puppies.
*I actually don't like having puppies available around the holidays......they can be born around the holidays...just not available.*
I'm like Robin and many others here, I usually plan my litters to be before Christmas or their availability to be after Christmas. But on occasion we do have litters that are ready around Christmas although usually these are planned litters that have already been reserved well ahead of time. I don't like the idea of selling a said puppy for a Christmas present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Narys Policia ZVV1
Faust Cierna Vdova ZVV1, BH
NarysDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think there is a very big difference between having a litter that is ready to go home about Christmas and planning a breeding and advertising Christmas puppies.

If you screen your owners you screen your owners. Depending on circumstances the holidays could actually be a good time to place a pup because of time off work for some people. For other families it could be the worse possible time. A breeder that has talked to the owners would know.

And I've never had a litter ready to go for Christmas, I've had litters born on Christmas Eve and New Years day. I would not skip a breeding I was planning though because they would be ready to go about the time of the holidays.

Betty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty View Post
I think there is a very big difference between having a litter that is ready to go home about Christmas and planning a breeding and advertising Christmas puppies.

If you screen your owners you screen your owners. Depending on circumstances the holidays could actually be a good time to place a pup because of time off work for some people. For other families it could be the worse possible time. A breeder that has talked to the owners would know.

And I've never had a litter ready to go for Christmas, I've had litters born on Christmas Eve and New Years day. I would not skip a breeding I was planning though because they would be ready to go about the time of the holidays.

Same here. The S litter is ready to go home in 2 weeks, but that is also due to having to keep them for the import regs. We do follow that; I know some people do not.

Plus, with this litter - these are for working homes and we have been very particular since this is a similar breeding to two other ones that we have done and need strong handlers.

I know Lee is doing the same.

V KK1 Molinari Enzo SCH3,IPO3,VK3,FH (WUSVx3,FCIx4)HOT
KK1 Frodo v Biezenhoeve SCH3,IPO3,HPO3.FCI & WUSV '10-'12, FCI '14. HOT
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013, WUSV 2015
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

I had litter born on Halloween once. Count forward 8 weeks and you get Dec 26th. I kept most of that litter until after Christmas day. I let one go a couple of days before Christmas but she was going to a fellow breeder whose schedule worked out that way. But this was a litter of Beaucerons and most of my puppy buyers had placed deposits close to a year before, the timing just worked out that way. With a rare breed you kind of have to do the breeding when all the stars align. I knew when I did the breeding that they would be Christmas pups, but it was fine.

- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of
, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I haven't had a litter in the fall before so never had to worry about it. With my screening process and the types of homes that most of my puppies go into I doubt this is something I would even consider. I might suggest that a buyer wait if they were going to be leaving for the holidays or have other plans that would not be best to throw an 8 week old puppy into the middle of.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.