Artica German Shepherds - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

Default Artica German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
No offense-- and I mean really, no offense-- if I were you and wanted to breed this dog I would NOT breed her to another Artica dog. Looking over dogs with the Artica kennel name, it would appear that this breeder did a lot of breeding close relatives. This practice is not all that uncommon, especially among some show line breeders, but if you're not an extremely experienced breeder who knows exactly what they're doing, it can get very messy.
I agree. However, the book I have Breeding A Litter states that in general the safest course for newcomers is to line breed. In fact, I've read in more than one book that the best option may be to breed with a cousin. Thus, my interest in finding another white relative. I have a friend that has a PHD in genetics; I thought if I could find out more information about Meika's relatives I could talk with him about this.
Meika's Mom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
This is true, breed standards for the clubs are posted on the various sites ... BUT bear in mind that it takes years of experience to be able to take those simple sentences making up a breed standard and to actually be able judge a dog following the standard ... it's not a simple process.

Can you get her to a western UKC show or two then? If so she'll need to be registered with UKC. She can be registered as either a German Shepherd colored white or as a White Shepherd (but not both).

Your girl is pretty ... love that picture!!!
Looks like I just missed a show in the southern part of the state. It doesn't look I'll have another chance for quite awhile.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meika's Mom View Post
If this is not enough she is healthy, intellegent and beautiful.
These are good qualities. Make sure you have the tests to back it up. Health screening, an obedience title, conformation show results.

And do thorough screening of puppy buyers.

I have been to UKC shows a lot lately, and there are always a whole gaggle of white shepherds in attendance. I hope you have some in your area.

Last edited by BlackPuppy; 11-26-2011 at 09:58 PM.
BlackPuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post

She's just beautiful!!! ( Artica's Corona was gorgeous too! )

I love to research the whites, love to see where it all leads. Sometimes OFA is the easiest way to track a line forward because siblings and offspring are often listed but that didn't work when I tried to find Artica's Tango. I can't find her anywhere. There are quite a few of Artica's dogs listed on OFA and with the AKC but none that lead to Tango. I guess her info is all on the CKC and OVC databases. Aren't her parents listed on your pedigree?

If you really want to breed her I agree with others btw, take her out and see if you can get a few titles on her. Join the WGSDCA, AWSA or other white shepherd clubs, you'll get to know a lot of people breeding whites, get to know the lines etc. You might even meet breeders with Artica in their lines somewhere, you never know. If you end up not breeding her there will always be another great dog down the road. No rush!
Whiteshepherds is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

Welll...she is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverant and would make any boy scout proud!

If this is not enough she is healthy, intellegent and beautiful.
Then just about everyone I know should breed their dog, if that's all you think a dog needs to breed. Heck, why shouldn't I breed my Pom? He's all of those things! And he's also thrifty because he's a little dog! BUT - I'm not going to breed him. Even after he gets flyball and maybe agility titles. He doesn't adhere to the standard. If I bred him, it wouldn't benefit the breed in any way.

Here are some nice white GSDs.

This is Atlas from Atlas Kennels. He is titled out the wazoo.

This male is only 8.5 months old in this photo. Bred by Kerstone shepherds (I know many on here have mixed opinions about this breeder), but I'm not usually a fan of white dogs, and this dog, in my opinion, is stunning.

Here are some GSDs that I'm sure were bred for all of the reasons you stated - look where they ended up. (Each photo is a different dog).

This girl was a drop-dead gorgeous female. You can't really tell from this photo, but seeing her in person (at better angles), you could tell she was a well-bred dog.

I know you might be thinking - but none of those are white GSDs! Trust me - they're just as common in shelters as the blacks, the black/tans, sables, etc. Several of the above dogs were on the euthanasia list. Some were rescued, others weren't as lucky.
-Fastest 2012 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I agree. However, the book I have Breeding A Litter states that in general the safest course for newcomers is to line breed. In fact, I've read in more than one book that the best option may be to breed with a cousin.
Carmen, cliff, robin, lee, lisa, or any of you other genetic guru's... any comment on the above statement?
Lucy Dog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old is that book you're reading?

Linebreeding should only be done by those who are experienced, know what they're doing, and have a purpose for it.

Did you read the first few pages? It says, "They carefully research the pedigrees of the dogs they have brought to a breeding. Conscientiously, they ensure the sire and dam are X-rayed (hips and elbows) along with being checked for other problems that may afflict their breed," on the first page.
"People who sell puppies must be aware of those prospective buyers who, during the interview process, disclose they do not want to show, they only want to breed dogs. Dog shows are, by their very definition, the place where the quality of a breeding program is proven."
...it is far easier to place a puppy from champion parents, or parents that are working successfully on their titles, than it is to sell a puppy from untitled parents."

That's all from your book, within the first two pages. Is linebreeding the only thing you took from the book?
-Fastest 2012 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Last edited by Konotashi; 11-26-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Konotashi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Konotashi:

To the OP, and I don't mean any disrespect, the only thing I have to offer is this:

Every single dog owner feels the same way about their dog. And the thing is--you didn't breed the dog that gave you your dog. This dog, before you brought her into your life, was not in any way related to any dog you had before. Yet you love her more than anything and want to breed her, to have a pup. But you will feel the same about any pup that is placed in your arms, and that you teach, grow with, share your life with, bond with. You don't have to breed a dog to love a pup. ,
RocketDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did not read all, but I agree with Freestep, that six years old is no time to start breeding a female. I just had a litter with Babs who turned six in August. She had a litter when she was three. Evenso, this litter was not easy to deliver. It was small probably due to her being a bit older or not having been bred in a long time. But that made the pups she did have larger. Two of them were the largest pups I have ever had. That was hard on Babs.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #50 (permalink)

Default Meika's Age

[QUOTE=selzer;2319597]I did not read all, but I agree with Freestep, that six years old is no time to start breeding a female.

My error, she is not six. She just turned five which is still getting old and which is why I have to make a decision soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.