Artica German Shepherds - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Artica German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
what makes your dog breed worthy???

Welll...she is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverant and would make any boy scout proud!

If this is not enough she is healthy, intellegent and beautiful.
Meika's Mom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meika's Mom View Post

Welll...she is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverant and would make any boy scout proud!
If she's really thrifty, sign me up! My dogs are fracking expensive!

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

If this is not enough she is healthy, intellegent and beautiful.
Best response to one of those questions ever.
Jack's Dad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Best response to one of those questions ever.
I disagree. This is why there are so many BYB's and dogs ending up in shelters ... Fluffy is such a wonderful pet, we just have to breed her!!! Breeding dogs is serious and should be done in a thorough and thoughtful manner, not just randomly selecting a bitch which has qualities like a Boy Scout and a dog who's from the same kennel and throwing them together because they might make nice babies.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

[QUOTE=arycrest;2319178] Welcome from Central Florida!!!

Thank you for your helpful information. First, I would like to a make acorrection; I put Meika's bithdate as 10/20/2005 when I should have written 10/20/2006. She just turned five years old not six. Regardless, it seems that most of the white shepherd competitions are in the east not in the western part of the USA. At her age (if allowed at that age) she would be competing against two year olds by the time she got a title she would be too old to breed. If I breed her it would be a one time breeding and would have to occur within the year. Hence, the desire to find out more about her genetic history from siblings, cousins etc.... I have visited the white german shepherd database and have also looked at the german shepherd database, but have found little information. I'm sure you willl agree that the more information I can find out about all of her relatives the better. As observed on the database many of the welll known kennels have had some genetic problems somewhere in the history.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

[QUOTE=arycrest;2319211]I disagree. This is why there are so many BYB's and dogs ending up in shelters .

I agree which is why I have posted a request to find out more about her genetics. Perhaps you missed my first message whcih said I am considering breeding her. Is every dog which has not been shown unworthy of breeding. I don't think so. I have no intention of getting in a battle about so and so standards as there are differences between countries and dogs. Those who suggested she be hip tested are correct (if I decide to breed her) her hips have been exrayed, but not sent in to the AKC as her registry is still whith the CKC. At this time I am simply gathering informaton. Also, she should meet the German Shepherd or White Shepherd standards just because she has not been shown does not mean that she does not meet the standards.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[quote=Meika's Mom;2319213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
Welcome from Central Florida!!!

Thank you for your helpful information. First, I would like to a make acorrection; I put Meika's bithdate as 10/20/2005 when I should have written 10/20/2006. She just turned five years old not six. Regardless, it seems that most of the white shepherd competitions are in the east not in the western part of the USA. At her age (if allowed at that age) she would be competing against two year olds by the time she got a title she would be too old to breed. If I breed her it would be a one time breeding and would have to occur within the year. Hence, the desire to find out more about her genetic history from siblings, cousins etc.... I have visited the white german shepherd database and have also looked at the german shepherd database, but have found little information. I'm sure you willl agree that the more information I can find out about all of her relatives the better. As observed on the database many of the welll known kennels have had some genetic problems somewhere in the history.
Have you checked UKC ... they have shows all over the US. You can get a title in one weekend ... most of the clubs I mentioned have two shows a day for two or three days. But going to several, having a couple experts evaluate her conformation would be very beneficial to you in deciding if you should breed her or not. Shucks, there are many GSD breeders who are licensed AKC judges, you might even be able to contact a few of them to get an impartial evaluation of her conformation.

Of course getting the health screening is easier. The only problem I can think of is that some vets are better than others when doing quality hip -rays for submission to OFA/OVC.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
If she's really thrifty, sign me up! My dogs are fracking expensive!
A healthy dog is as thrify as your going to get.

Last edited by Meika's Mom; 11-26-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
A healthy dog is as thrify as your going to get.
Yeah, but for some reason they still want food, they still want toys, they still want collars and leashes and microchips and soft beds to lie on, they want somebody to take care of them when I go out of town (to the tune of $50 a night because I have two), they still need check-ups. Mine just aren't thrifty. You're lucky yours is.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Also, she should meet the German Shepherd or White Shepherd standards just because she has not been shown does not mean that she does not meet the standards.
How would you know if she meets the standards, if she hasn't been shown and evaluated by a judge?
Freestep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.