Would you breed a non akc dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would you breed a non akc dog

We will be getting a GSD and we plan on doing as much with him as we can for titles. He has akc parents but he comes with no papers because his mom was a rescue GSD.

Would you still stud him when he is older? Also can you stud him to a female Workline female that is titled and has papers if he is a showline GSD?
LoveMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyDogs View Post
We will be getting a GSD and we plan on doing as much with him as we can for titles. He has akc parents but he comes with no papers because his mom was a rescue GSD.

Would you still stud him when he is older? Also can you stud him to a female Workline female that is titled and has papers if he is a showline GSD?
No.

The mom should never have been bred in the first place simply because she's a rescue, in my opinion.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

She was part of the akc with good papers but the current owner could not get them out.

So he should be fixed then so my girl is safe from him.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Absolutely not.

Why would you stud him out? For the money? Breeding dogs is not (or should not be) a moneymaking scheme.

If you are truly interested in becoming a breeder, please find a reputable breeder that will mentor you. There are enough unregistered, unproven, UNWANTED puppies in shelters and rescues without adding to the problem.

Titling is only one piece of the puzzle. Confirmation, health, temperament, papers, etc. are additional required pieces. No step should be skipped, IMO.

Everyone thinks their dog is wonderful and many seem to think this means they're worthy of breeding. The fact of the matter is... the majority of them simply are not.
Rott-n-GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
She was part of the akc with good papers but the current owner could not get them out.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

do you think $500.00 plus $300.00 for shipping is to much then because he not papered? We paid $1500 for our girl so I am still a little scared. We are picking him up on Friday so I am just making sure I cover my basics and do this the right way.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:

So he should be fixed then so my girl is safe from him.
How old is your girl? You should really wait to fix either dog until their growth plates are closed. There are ways to keep dogs apart when the female is in heat to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I would fix the female if she's old enough. Or are you thinking of breeding her, too? AKC registry is FAR from the only thing needed to breed a dog. Did you x-ray and certify her hips and elbows with the OFA? What about other health/genetic testing? What sort of titles does she have? What about her confirmation? Or her temperament?

If you simply cannot keep these dogs apart, I'd get them altered ASAP.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
do you think $500.00 plus $300.00 for shipping is to much then because he not papered? We paid $1500 for our girl so I am still a little scared. We are picking him up on Friday so I am just making sure I cover my basics and do this the right way.
I would personally NEVER pay any amount of money for a dog (aside from an adoption fee from a reputable shelter or rescue) from a BYB facility. All you're doing is lining their greedy pockets so they can breed more dogs that will likely end up on death row in shelters.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
$500 for a non-papered dog is quite a bit, but typical. $300 for shipping is average; that's what the airline charges, not the breeder.

Were the parents health checked or titled? Or are they just papered? Because honestly, papers mean next to nothing, other than the dogs are purebred.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Why are you scared? What does the price you paid for your female have to do with anything? Price does not make the dog and is completely subjective. If you think $800 is a fair price for the dog you are getting, then it is. Personally, $800 for a dog bred from a rescued female is way to high for me to pay.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.