Would you breed a non akc dog - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyDogs View Post
Here is a link to her blog with links click on the sire and Brandi www.shannonsshepherds.blogspot.com
Are you talking about the litter currently shown on the blog? The litter where the breeder says "These puppies are for companions only, no breeders."

Is this the sire? Shannon's Tobias Vom Wolf Cimmerian If so, HE shouldn't be used for breeding. He's only 1.5 years old NOW so he can't be OFA'd. He's untitled, and there are no titles in recent generations of his pedigree.

If you want to buy a puppy from this litter, understand that you are buying a pet puppy. NOTHING wrong with that, but you should understand what you're paying for.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
I would love to be one day a Experience, responsible breeder.
Being a responsible breeder means educating yourself BEFORE you start breeding. You need so much knowledge about different lines and what they produce in terms of health and temperament BEFORE you start putting dogs together. It isn't the other way around, you don't learn through doing.

Have you seen these threads?
"Should I breed my dog?" Flowchart
So you want to be a breeder???
Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

And it all comes down to the original question, "Would you breed an unregistered dog?" No, absolutely not. and I wouldn't breed TO an unregistered dog.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't consider this fun. If the female was a rescue as in from the shelter no I would never breed her-because usually when you get a dog from a shelter they expect that you will not breed her-so to me thats just really not ok-
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are serious about breeding dogs and want to be a good breeder, then please learn as much as you can first. Find a reputable breeder and learn from him/her, see if you can help him/her when they have a litter. Experience the whole process before doing it yourself.

No shelter dog should be bred, ever. JMO

If you do not want to become a reputable breeder then please do not breed your dog, there are already way too many animals dying in shelters everyday because people "wanted a puppy from their dog" or they wanted to make a quick buck or their unaltered animal got out and bred with another dog or strays that keep reproducing. So please go take a look at your local animal shelter, more than half of those dogs in there will not be making it back out.

If more people were responsible then we wouldn't have so many animals dying every single day in shelters.

Breeding should be left to reputable Breeders, people that are looking to better the breed, people looking to breed healthier GSD's and GSD's that have great temperment and the ability to preform any task that their owner gives to them.

You have to look at the big picture, if you bring 10 puppies into the world when you breed your GSD and 2 of those puppies get bred and they have 10 puppies and 2 of those puppies get bred and they have 10 puppies each, in a matter of about 5-10 years YOU brought 50 more puppies into this world when there are already puppies dying in shelters everyday because there are not enough homes for them all.

Your puppies will have puppies, and those puppies will have puppies........ the cycle will continue.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #36 (permalink)

So this would be a bad move to buy this puppy. He would just be a family dog forsure this we knew. We were really just scared for Elsa
LoveMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

I suspect that the folks who are selling the OP the pup are not being 100% truthful. No reputable rescue or shelter is going to allow a dog to be bred after being adopted out. Not only that, these folks also claim NOT to be breeders (says so on their website).

To the OP, I would not breed this pup when he comes to a certain age. I do not think that you have been told the truth by the "non-breeder" that you purchased the dog from.

If you seriously WANT to become a breeder, then seriously think about having a reputable breeder for a mentor. Not only read the thread on reputable breeders, you should also read the thread about "So you want to be a breeder". The OP on that thread has experience breeding and yet, she learned a big lesson with her last litter.

He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They look as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I've never tired of looking into them.-John Muir
DnP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you buy the pup you a supporting someone having bred a rescue -I wouldn't and I have no idea what you mean by you are sacred for Elsa?
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #39 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

Quote:
So this would be a bad move to buy this puppy. He would just be a family dog forsure this we knew. We were really just scared for Elsa
A bad move...depends on how you look at it. You would be supporting a BYB (backyard beeder) who is doing nothing to promote the gsd breed, despite what they may "think".

As far as being scared for Elsa...unless you are prepared to manage two intact adults, one female and one male, I wouldn't get the pup. Many folks are very good at managing opposite sex intact dogs in their households, but they will tell you that it requires a bit of work and vigilance.

He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They look as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I've never tired of looking into them.-John Muir
Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
If you buy the pup you a supporting someone having bred a rescue -I wouldn't and I have no idea what you mean by you are sacred for Elsa?
I think the OP means he's scared for Elsa becoming pregnant from the male puppy when he gets older.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.