Would you breed a non akc dog - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyDogs View Post
We have been working with our dog at our club since she has been a pup and we just love the breed. If we can get her titled and show others how wonderful a GSD really is that would be good enough for me. My husband would like to buy a couple dogs and start breeding them we are just in love with the GSD. This is way I asked about our male dog we really want to give him the life Elsa has and do what GSD love to do. We would also like to stud him out if everything look good with him in a couple of years.
I don't even know where to start......

Almost everyone has a dog they think is so wonderful s/he should be used for breeding. VERY few actually have a dog that should be bred. There's a whole lot to it and it's a very expensive proposition if you plan on doing it right. Health tests, training, titling, that's just the beginning. Don't even want to go into the actual expense of breeding if the bitch needs a c-section or if there's something wrong with any of the puppies. Doing this right is not easy, cheap, and it's not for the faint of heart. Things can and do go wrong. There's a lot more to it than having a decent looking dog and a decent looking bitch, and putting them together!

I have 3 dogs here from very good lines, with names in the pedigree that many would recognize. My dogs are titled in multiple venues. (well the youngster isn't titled YET, she's just a puppy.) None of them are being used for breeding.

Curious, what lines are your dogs from?
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
We have been working with our dog at our club since she has been a pup and we just love the breed. If we can get her titled and show others how wonderful a GSD really is that would be good enough for me. My husband would like to buy a couple dogs and start breeding them we are just in love with the GSD. This is way I asked about our male dog we really want to give him the life Elsa has and do what GSD love to do. We would also like to stud him out if everything look good with him in a couple of years.
Honestly if you love the breed... consider NOT breeding.

There are thousands upon thousands of unwanted dogs, including PUREBRED and PAPERED GSDs dying in shelters.

You need to ask yourself... am I prepared to LOSE my dog? Because females can and DO have complications relating to pregnancy and labor and you need to face the possibility that the female could die during whelping.

Are you prepared to spend thousands of dollars on an emergency c-section? What about complications with the puppies?

Are you prepared to spend a lot of money certifying that your dogs don't have hip or elbow dysplasia, or eye or thyroid conditions?

Are you prepared to keep tabs on any puppies your dogs produce, INCLUDING those you "stud out" your male for? Are you prepared to take responsibility for the ones that will inevitably end up in shelters and rescues... because your buyers decide they don't have time for a puppy, can't handle a puppy, or simply don't want the dog now that it's not a cute puppy anymore?

I LOVE the GSD breed and for that reason, I choose to leave the breeding up to experienced, responsible breeders.
Rott-n-GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
I don't even know where to start......

Almost everyone has a dog they think is so wonderful s/he should be used for breeding. VERY few actually have a dog that should be bred. There's a whole lot to it and it's a very expensive proposition if you plan on doing it right. Health tests, training, titling, that's just the beginning. Don't even want to go into the actual expense of breeding if the bitch needs a c-section or if there's something wrong with any of the puppies. Doing this right is not easy, cheap, and it's not for the faint of heart. Things can and do go wrong. There's a lot more to it than having a decent looking dog and a decent looking bitch, and putting them together!

I have 3 dogs here from very good lines, with names in the pedigree that many would recognize. My dogs are titled in multiple venues. (well the youngster isn't titled YET, she's just a puppy.) None of them are being used for breeding.

Curious, what lines are your dogs from?
We bought Elsa from German Shepherd dogs for sale, German Shepherd puppies for sale
LoveMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What are her parents though? There are a lot of different litters, including showlines from elsa's breeder.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Why on earth would I spay my female?
Valid question ........but I would not neuter the male before his growth plates closed. And I would be careful to prevent an oops litter.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rott-n-GSDs View Post
Honestly if you love the breed... consider NOT breeding.

There are thousands upon thousands of unwanted dogs, including PUREBRED and PAPERED GSDs dying in shelters.

You need to ask yourself... am I prepared to LOSE my dog? Because females can and DO have complications relating to pregnancy and labor and you need to face the possibility that the female could die during whelping.

Are you prepared to spend thousands of dollars on an emergency c-section? What about complications with the puppies?

Are you prepared to spend a lot of money certifying that your dogs don't have hip or elbow dysplasia, or eye or thyroid conditions?

Are you prepared to keep tabs on any puppies your dogs produce, INCLUDING those you "stud out" your male for? Are you prepared to take responsibility for the ones that will inevitably end up in shelters and rescues... because your buyers decide they don't have time for a puppy, can't handle a puppy, or simply don't want the dog now that it's not a cute puppy anymore?

I LOVE the GSD breed and for that reason, I choose to leave the breeding up to experienced, responsible breeders.
I would love to be one day a Experience, responsible breeder.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am *guessing* this is a littermate to the female in question since is it and E litter vom haus miller - could be wrong. Age is about right.

Euros Vom Haus Miller - German shepherd dog

The new male puppy is a grab bag.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 03-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
What are her parents though? There are a lot of different litters, including showlines from elsa's breeder.
Her parents are a working line here is her daddy V Carlo vom Haus Ehrlich, SchH3, IPO3
and her mother passed I noticed she is not on his sight anymore.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Woah...I don't know a lot about pedigrees overall, but the sire is a combo of West German Showlines, West German Working Lines, and Czech. Generally do not see WGSL and Czech lines mixed (sometimes WGSL's and WGWL's). Very different dogs.

Someone with more knowledge can chime in more but generally not the best idea.

I can't imagine Elsa and the new puppy are going to be a good pair to breed.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

Here is where the OPs pup is coming from:

Shannons Shepherds

And now I will sit back and watch the fun begin...

He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They look as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I've never tired of looking into them.-John Muir
DnP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.