Breeding tips. Age to start etc .... Can anyone help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Breeding tips. Age to start etc .... Can anyone help

Just looking some tips here.

What's the perfect age to start?

As for a stud dog what should I look out for ?

Only want one litter out of my girl then she's getting neutered.
Tara is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please do not breed your dog, there are already way too many animals dying in shelters everyday because people "wanted a puppy from their dog" or they wanted to make a quick buck or their unaltered animal got out and bred with another dog or strays that keep reproducing. So please go take a look at your local animal shelter, more than half of those dogs in there will not be making it back out.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Dakota's Unbreakable Vow "Draven" ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If more people were responsible then we wouldn't have so many animals dying every single day in shelters.

Breeding should be left to reputable Breeders, people that are looking to better the breed, people looking to breed healthier GSD's and GSD's that have great temperment and the ability to preform any task that their owner gives to them.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's not for making a quick buck , my mum want one , my granny wants one for security as does my uncles and aunts they love Tara and want her pups. I know it will be sore on her but I want to keep her living on , I'm thinking ahead because some day she wont be living and when that day comes I think if there's her pups around it won't be as tough to deal with. I know it's a long wile away.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
It's not for making a quick buck , my mum want one , my granny wants one for security as does my uncles and aunts they love Tara and want her pups. I know it will be sore on her but I want to keep her living on , I'm thinking ahead because some day she wont be living and when that day comes I think if there's her pups around it won't be as tough to deal with. I know it's a long wile away.
How old is she?

What does she bring to the breed?

Only dogs that have titles, great health, great temperment, great bloodlines and great working ability should be bred.

You are just going to contribute more puppies that are going to end up in shelters and die.

Go look at your local animal shelter, those dogs are there because of people like you.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

She should be at least 2 years old. Health tested, hips checked and preferably titled in something to show she can work like the breed was meant too.

She is a long coat (probably) and is not to breed standard so many will say she should not be bred. If she has temperament issues (fear or aggression) then she definitely should not bred. Which by the way, some issues you won't see until 2 years old since depending on the line, German Shepherds do not mature until 2-3 years old.

If your family wants a great dog, then their best bet is to go to a reputable breeder to stack the odds in their favor.

You won't get a lot of support here for breeding your pet. We are strong advocates of leaving the breeding to the professionals. The people who have researched bloodlines and genetics and know how to pair to dogs to create a German Shepherd they are proud of and that continues to improve the breed.

Also, females get spayed. Males are neutered.
gsdraven is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You know, my black GSD is absolutely gorgeous, I think he is and so do my friends and my family, he has a fantastic temperment and he gets along great with people, kids, cats and other dogs but he doesn't have any titles, he is from a BYB, he doesn't have the best health and he doesn't have good bloodlines, as much as I love him and as much as I would love to have a puppy from him I would never breed him, he is not going to make the breed better, he is going to produce more puppies and those puppies are going to produce puppies and those puppies are going to produce more puppies, get the picture? There are too many puppies dying everyday, why would I want one of my dog's puppies to die the same way?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Haha stop making out as if I'm bad to dogs. I love dogs if you seen how spoilt my dog was you wouldn't say that , and Ireland isn't as bad as America we actuly have a Conscience when it come to training animals , all the puppies will be giving to family members who are dog lovers, none will be in shelters.

So it's not people like me that leave dogs like that.

She's 5 months nearly 6 , and before you start I know I'm about a year off breeding yet I'm hardly gonna start breeding out of a 5 month pup!

She's very smart, great temper with kids ,good for security very protective but does not bite. Very playful. Easy to house train.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
She should be at least 2 years old. Health tested, hips checked and preferably titled in something to show she can work like the breed was meant too.

She is a long coat (probably) and is not to breed standard so many will say she should not be bred. If she has temperament issues (fear or aggression) then she definitely should not bred. Which by the way, some issues you won't see until 2 years old since depending on the line, German Shepherds do not mature until 2-3 years old.

If your family wants a great dog, then their best bet is to go to a reputable breeder to stack the odds in their favor.

You won't get a lot of support here for breeding your pet. We are strong advocates of leaving the breeding to the professionals. The people who have researched bloodlines and genetics and know how to pair to dogs to create a German Shepherd they are proud of and that continues to improve the breed.

Also, females get spayed. Males are neutered.
Breeding professionals ? What people who take 9 litters out of one dog , no way .

I'd rather get one litter out of my dog then that's it. And it's purely for family not sold told random Joe.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
She's very smart, great temper with kids ,good for security very protective but does not bite. Very playful. Easy to house train.
She's a baby. At this age, she doesn't have it in her to be protective. If she seems protective, she's acting in fear. I hope you read around the site quite a bit. You'll learn a lot of the development of German Shepherds. They aren't your average dog.

Quote:
Breeding professionals ? What people who take 9 litters out of one dog , no way .
That's not my definition of a breeding professional. Check out the breeding section of the forum. You'll see what most of us think is a good breeder.
gsdraven is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.