German Shepherds Forum banner

Getting a high-quality import dog.

11K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  blackshep 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

My name is Angel, I'm currently a student in Animal Care as well as a part-time kennel attendant. I have spent the last 5 years researching everything possible about dogs as well as the German Shepherd breed. I want to be a small, home-based breeder of working-line German Shepherds.

I would really like to import a male from outside North America that will have an excellent pedigree with a line strong in Schutzhund. The only problem is that I have NO idea where to start looking.

If somebody has imported a pup or stud from outside of North America, could you please outline the process for me? I'd really appreciate any advice or information on how to go about importing a dog. Any suggestions or recommendations as far as WHERE to get the dog?

Thank you so much in advance.

~ Angel

#29 ·
Dog Shows, Schutzhund clubs, seminars, competitions, breeder associations, etc. to start somewhere. There is nothing like a GSD University where you take a class, it is a long journey that takes from many years to forever.

It may depend also on what are your goals. If you are interested in working lines, by example, the start should be to get a dog to train, learn with him or she, get titles, meet a lot of trainers, breeders and their dogs. Your dog to learn first hand the advantages and disadvantages of certain traits, and the dogs of others to compare and decide what you like or not in a dog. And then, only then, to look for foundation dog to start breeding.

#30 ·
I would also read any and all the early books about German shepherds. They contain a great deal of information about the bloodlines and genetics. And talk to some "old timers" who have witness the decline of the shepherd over the past 30+ years so you have an understanding of what the German shepherd use to be and what it has become today. Then decide which era you like better.

#31 ·
I would add to the list, Lee Hough - Wolfstram on this board.

Another thing to take into consideration....most reputable breeders here in the states will only sell their puppies and young dogs on a limited registration, with that being lifted to a full registration after the dog has been proven breedworthy - titles and health clearances.

We started out with a young show line male five and a half years ago and high visions of him being a stud...turned out, after I learned more and more and worked with him, I knew he wasn't the dog I would choose to breed to if I was going to be breeding a female, and I had him neutered. I still train him, still hoping to get that SchH1 title but he's also my buddy. I decided on a working line female for my next dog and she's been everything that I wanted. I took her from an imported 8 week old puppy (through a very trusted broker and with help of a experienced and now very close friend) and trained and titled her. She had her 1st litter last spring and one pup was placed with a world level competitor (he's competing at the WUSV this week).

So, my best advice for you is to find a good young female or puppy, and start with them. Maybe they turn out super and will be your foundation female, or maybe they end up being your personal companion and friend, but you will learn so much more going through the process and more people will respect you for that, than if you just get a dog and start breeding.

#32 ·
Another thought, based on Marsha post.

The more you are involved with the breed BEFORE to start breeding, the best owners the pups born from your breeding will get. If you are too new to the whole dog world you'll have to place an ad in the newspaper to look for owners for your pups. If you and your dogs are respected in the dog circles people will ask for matings and pups even before they are born.

#33 ·
I have to agree with that! I got into the breed about 8 years ago, always wanted to breed but the more I learned the more I realized I needed to know MORE!
I have spent the time since I got my first dog learning everything I can about temperament, bloodlines, pedigrees, structure, etc...spent countless hours working many dogs and watching others work. It took me a long time to find a dog that was truly outstanding in every way, and I hope to breed my first litter sometime in the next year. I am so happy that I have taken the time to do things right by taking the time to learn, I wouldn't want it any other way.

I guess my best advice would be to take your time and don't have your heart set on breeding your first dog. A lot of dogs will not work out, and it may take time to get the one that's truly breedworthy...there is a lot more to breeding than a Schh title.

#34 ·
Oops. should have said that Elsa's pup went to a National Level competitor...a younger 1/2 sister to Elsa is with the world level competitor.

#35 ·
Well, I'm 60, and on the other side of having been a hobby breeder. Now just have my pets. And the best advice I could give you is to purchase from an established known breeder the best quality young adult female of excellent pedigree that you can. Whether it's here in the US, or if you can make the connections in Europe to find a trustworthy breeder or supplier that is fine also. Making those connections generally take many years of actually being IN the breed as in competing and training at least on a club level.

Because even now I do not have personal connections I could trust in Europe (note I'm saying Europe, not just Germany as a number of countries over there are producing high quality dogs) I would probably choose a female here in the US. Probably one that a breeder had retained from a litter, then decided to part with as the dog matured and they could more fully access the quality and value of the dog.

I started out "Bass akwards" (as my Mama always said) with a Male I thought the world of. I started writing to other breeders to see if they'd be interested in breeding to him. I was quite fortunate to get a polite but very candid letter back from one lady who told me "You'll find that males, even nice males are a dime a dozen and that nobody's going to be interested in your male unless he's competing on a high level or already producing puppies who are doing the same." She went on to give me the same advice Chris gave you... If breeding is your goal, start with a proven female, the very best you can find... and then breed up.

Marsha mentioned Lee Hough, who is expecting a litter from her bitch Basha. Several pups from Basha are already titled both here and in Europe... and this is a repeat of a very nice breeding. But starting with a puppy with the goal of breeding is chancy as you never know if they'll turn out of a quality to be worthy of breeding.

There's several people on the site whose view on current lines and dogs who may be available to purchase. (Chris and Lee among them)

#36 ·
Oh, forgot 3 things (and too late to edit my post)

#1... if the person says they can tell ya everything about Shepherds... they almost certainly can't!

#2... see WRITTEN PROOF of any claims regarding titles and tests on the bitch you consider before $1 changes hands.

#3... discuss what you're told with other Shepherd folk to get a feel about the person's history. (take it with a large grain of salt, but listen anyhow)

#37 ·
The key to any program is FEMALES not males - as Jill and others are saying - tons of people contact me and offer to "let" me use their males - titled males, backyard males etc.....I try to nicely inform them that males are everywhere - heck, I HAVE a Schh3 WH OB3 KKL CD male sitting at home that I don't use for MANY reasons.....I would have used him only on one female I had but did not happen......

I have contacts in Europe - got screwed once and got unbelievably gifted once with Basha - dam of Marsha's Elsa - she had one litter nursing when I bought her - 2 National level dogs in Belgium from Q haus Shiho - had a litter there for me, then 3 here - titled and soon to be titled dogs from every litter - there are 2 H's who look super.....as someone suggested - look for someone with a female who is started - I sold my young female to a guy who is in Germany competing in the WUSV right now - because he can do more with her than I ever could.....and eventually I will get a daughter of hers to continue my lines with as well.........but you have to KNOW what you want temperament wise, pedigree wise and have someone who will find that dog for you........I looked for a good female for nearly 2 years before getting Basha.....and she was only available from her owner for a few minutes before being sold LOL.

Lee

#38 ·
Another possible option is to find an experienced, successful breeder who is willing to mentor. If you have access to a good training club and are willing to put in the time, you may find a breeder who will consider a co-ownership of a young female--you train/title her and learn a lot in the process--if/when the time is right, the breeder assists you in choosing a male for a breeding, gets you through the pregnancy/whelping, assists in placing the pups and you share in the proceeds (not a lot after the vet bills, food, supplements, etc.). However, the knowledge you would gain would be priceless and you could avoid a few of the pitfalls and setbacks that otherwise come only with the school of hard knocks.

#39 ·
I was able to have an excellent conversation with the breeder of Rosso (WUSV vice 2006 and WUSV 2007) this past weekend. She, as well as Pierre (handler and trainer before - one of the top ones) stress the importance of raising, training and competing with the dog. How else can you fully understand what you are producing in your focus on breeding? The breeder does focus on the females as well, to breed trained and titled females from your own breeding program is what it should all be about.

It takes time effort and focus, but it is the goal.

#40 ·
Originally Posted By: Tim WildWhat hasn't been mentioned except in passing is that the kind of stud dog the OP is talking about is worth a lot, like thousands. Not worth thousands but you can have it for three low payments of $19.95, but actually worth a lot of money. Like mortgage the house and sell the kids into slavery kind of money.
but true.

#41 ·
Hello everyone!

Thank you for the outstanding advice. I really appreciate all of it, it's given me much more information than I could have gathered on my own.

To clear a few things up, I decided not to import and I'm still looking for the right breeder than will be willing to ship a lovely woofer here to Canada and will be able to continue an extensive relationship with me. Still looking for suggestions and imput on breeders!

I would NOT buy a male and female to breed them. I understand that it doesn't work that way, I was just thinking of starting with a female and a male - finding the female a mate and seeing how the male develops and possibly offering him as a stud (depending on what titles he achieves, what kind of dog he is, etc) and MAYBE breeding the two of them if they are a suitable match. I've just always dreamt of working with a male GSD, so I kind of clung to that idea. Please don't think I would just buy two dogs and breed them, that is certainly not the case.

Also, the point of my getting a German Shepherd is to train, title and live with them as my 24/7 companion. I love the Schutzhund sport! I definitely will be training and titling any dogs that come into my family, ESPECIALLY if I have plans of breeding.

Now, my next step is the learn everything I can about genetics, working lines and pedigrees. Anyone have any resources I can use to learn all about this? I am going to contact my nearest Schutzhund club to try and get involved with them (If you know of any in Ontario, Canada, please let me know!) so I can begin learning. I'm hoping to get my first dog within a year, depending on how it all works out, and start training in Schutzhund.

Advice is appreciated beyond anything, because I trust you all the most and have the utmost respect for so many of you! Thanks again!

#43 ·
To clear a few things up, I decided not to import and I'm still looking for the right breeder than will be willing to ship a lovely woofer here to Canada and will be able to continue an extensive relationship with me. Still looking for suggestions and imput on breeders!
My suggestion: ship yourself. Buy a plane ticket or put gas in the tank and drive toward the US border. Depending on where you are closer to there are tons of schutzhund clubs in British Columbia or Ontario next to the U.S. border and more in the U.S. within only a couple of hours from the border.

The reason I say this is do not rely on the Internet alone. Nothing still beats face2face. Go to gsscc.ca and germanshepherddog.com for addresses and events. Network. Start relationships. See as many dogs as possible. See dogs training. See how they behave off the field. When you see ones you like, talk to their handlers. Ask about puppies. Then have a pup shipped to you in the near future.

#42 ·
The best way to find a dog is to get hands on. Go to the clubs, hang with the people, go to the shows. Google and forums only get you so far before you have to go do the foot work. See who wins, see who's methods you like. You'll start to learn the pedigrees, what they mean, and who has the lines you've decided you like.

When I went to Germany my goal was to bring home my perfect Shepherd. No such luck. Brought back two females, spayed them both. I didn't get much hands on learning and got scammed both times. Technically one was a rescue case though after I got a hold of her, wasn't what I thought she was going to be. But I still have her and she's a great pet.

My boys, well, we'll see on the newest. Logan is a rescue. He's the poster dog for everything wrong with BYBs. Bastian, we'll see after I get him back in shape.

You can look at photos and pedigrees until you're blue in the face. I can't help on finding a club for you, but you can look online, contact, go visit and see if the club is a match for your goals.

Go to shows, meet and great. Join a club. Maybe someone needs a handler and you can learn a lot that way before getting your own dog.

#44 ·
Hi There,

Very interesting topic and one I've been very interested in lately. I'm new to this board and have a lot to learn and am also looking for my first German Shepherd dog. I'm also considering importing.

Temperament is of the upmost importance to me along with proper conformation and soundness of body.

Would Fleischerheim GHD be considered a reputable breeder. Please feel free to PM me if you think not. TIA

Chris
www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net

#45 ·
From reading the posts, I am starting to think Girls Rule and Boys drool when it comes to breeding.....

I might or might not breed GSDs when I am older....but thats for a later time.But I for sure want to breed Collies.lol.

#48 · (Edited)
Would this be your first GSD?

I agree about finding a mentor and getting a young female that you can put titles on yourself.

Ideally, you want your dogs to go into working homes, or at least some of them. And experienced handlers are not going to buy a pup from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

There is so much to learn, and if you're going to be a good breeder, you need to provide lifetime support for owners of your puppies. Which means you need to know how to address training troubles, behavioural issues etc for all types of temperaments.

It's not enough to have a good pedigree. You need to work your dog. Even as a mere pet owner, I wanted to see that both parents from the pups were biddable, and could handle some pressure from being worked.

ETA: Something to think about - What are your goals as a breeder? And how are you going to get there? (I don't just mean getting pups on the ground, what are your plans besides that. There's more to breeding than just putting a litter on the ground) Best of luck on your endeavour!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.