Suggestion for Rescue Forum - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Suggestion for Rescue Forum

Hi All,
I think the entire “GSD Rescue Information” forum is awesome and I’m grateful to admin, the moderators and member for all of the work they do to sustain it. But I’d like to see it reorganized to help us find the dogs that currently need to be rescued from shelters and ultimately adopted.
For instance, the dogs in “Urgent” who are adopted or PTS could be moved to a new section “Adopted or PTS” and instead of remaining in the “Urgent” section listed as “moved” they would be removed from “Urgent” altogether immediately. That way the “Urgent” section would only list the current Urgent dogs. Dogs not adopted or PTS but still need follow up could be moved to “Non-Urgent GSD Rescue & Adoption” then only current dogs needing follow up would be listed. This would eliminate the “Follow-up from” section.
I’m interested to see what others think. Just give it some thought….

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
Mac's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I think you are seeing/not liking the redirects that are there so that people looking for the thread for a while can still find it. You can probably see redirects in the General Information forum as an example.

We can make it so that there are no redirects to another forum (follow up, rescue stories if dogs are adopted or PTS, non-urgent if going to a known rescue) but then people might not be able to find a thread they are looking for in the week or two that people are generally thinking of it. So that is something to discuss/think about.

I am going to move this thread without a redirect so that you can look at the Suggestion/Comment box and then find it.
So that you can see what I mean. This isn't a big deal when it shows up on active topics, or is a topic you posted to, but when it is one you are following but haven't checked on for a while, it can be harder to locate. So go check out the Suggestion/Comment box, then look at somewhere like General Info - yours is totally gone, poof, there are all sorts of arrows in General Info. And that's what you see in the rescue section - thread name and redirect.

Quote:
Dogs not adopted or PTS but still need follow up could be moved to “Non-Urgent GSD Rescue & Adoption” then only current dogs needing follow up would be listed. This would eliminate the “Follow-up from” section.
Dogs not adopted or PTS that are in Urgent are dogs that are going to be PTS - in imminent danger - so we should not move them. If there are dogs posted that are not in imminent danger, they should be in non-urgent and be notified on anyway.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post

Dogs not adopted or PTS that are in Urgent are dogs that are going to be PTS - in imminent danger - so we should not move them. If there are dogs posted that are not in imminent danger, they should be in non-urgent and be notified on anyway.
No I totally agree. Dogs in imminent danger should be in Urgent. Those are the dogs me and friends are looking for to cross post. And non-urgent should be for dogs still needing help only. Thats all I'm saying. Its hard to weed through...

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

What are you weeding through then?

If a dog is posted in Urgent rescue and is rescued, notify and they get moved (with the redirect to where they were moved and reason is in (__) in the subject line).

If a dog is posted in Urgent rescue and should be in non-urgent (Craig's List dogs, dogs in no-kill shelter, at someone's house), notify and they will be moved there.

Is it improperly listed dogs or the redirects? Did you look at those in the General Information area to see what I mean? They are also pretty easy to distinguish, because there is an arrow and I think they are in italics. ETA, nope, it says MOVED.

Just let me know - trying to make it user friendly.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I appreciate your replies. I'll try to present my comments in another way that makes more sense. I have to go now but I'll be back.

Thanks again.

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

No problem I appreciate you sharing the dogs! I will also be "off" (HA!) but back later.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I think you are seeing/not liking the redirects that are there so that people looking for the thread for a while can still find it. You can probably see redirects in the General Information forum as an example. Right. My fear is that like when doing searches using google etc. people generally look at only the first or second pages. So I'd like to see as many of the Urgent dogs on the first and second pages instead of the "moved" dogs taking up space. But maybe thats not a concern on forums like this like it is with search engines.

We can make it so that there are no redirects to another forum (follow up, rescue stories if dogs are adopted or PTS, non-urgent if going to a known rescue) but then people might not be able to find a thread they are looking for in the week or two that people are generally thinking of it. So that is something to discuss/think about. Thats a good point. If people come back to check status on an Urgent dog and don't see them anymore at all they might not think to look at "Where are they Now" or "Follow Up..." or "Non-Urgent."

I am going to move this thread without a redirect so that you can look at the Suggestion/Comment box and then find it. So that you can see what I mean. This isn't a big deal when it shows up on active topics, or is a topic you posted to, but when it is one you are following but haven't checked on for a while, it can be harder to locate. Yes, I see what you mean. So go check out the Suggestion/Comment box, then look at somewhere like General Info - yours is totally gone, poof, there are all sorts of arrows in General Info. And that's what you see in the rescue section - thread name and redirect.

Dogs not adopted or PTS that are in Urgent are dogs that are going to be PTS - in imminent danger - so we should not move them. If there are dogs posted that are not in imminent danger, they should be in non-urgent and be notified on anyway. Right. I was just thinking from my perspective of someone looking specifically for dogs in Urgent [imminent danger] to share and then second priority going into Non-Urgent [also or still need attention]. Like 2 clean lists for sharing and bumping purposes. But I was not thinking of it from all of the people who are tracking them. Especially people who are actively involved with contacting rescues and trying to coordinate transportation
Thanks a lot for taking the time to talk this out. I'm thinking that maybe my suggestions aren't a good idea afterall

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac's Mom View Post
I appreciate your replies. I'll try to present my comments in another way that makes more sense. I have to go now but I'll be back.

Thanks again.
I love that you are trying to help these dogs!

I know some of the problems I see are when dogs ARE rescued or homed, people add a post at the end of the thread but then FAIL TO DO A MODERATOR NOTIFY so we don't move it into the Follow Up section. The goal IS to unclutter the Urgent as needed so the dogs that still need help will rise to the top and be highlighted.

Hopefully people will be more aware now and not just add a final 'dog not listed' or 'dog in rescue' but ALSO do the Moderator Notification so we can move it.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Sorry to be off topic, but it would sure be nice to have something for GSD mixes.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle View Post
Sorry to be off topic, but it would sure be nice to have something for GSD mixes.
You are 100% correct and it's called petfinder.

This has been discussed many times in the past and the decision was made to have this be a place to highlight and let the GSD's in shelters/rescues shine in a place of their own.

There are many other wonderful forums and rescue boards that do a great job with the mixes.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.