German Shepherds Forum banner

What are you feeding?

215K views 1K replies 841 participants last post by  WNGD 
#1 ·
[No message]

#2 ·
<sighing> over 3 yrs ago I adopted my love Patriot. Her first owner had her on Science Diet which we continued her on. Life and diet were quiet and good (or so I thought). Then 6 months later Liberty blessed my life. She had every type of worm possible, plus intestinal distress, imbalances in her digestive tract and the search for a kibble began. We found Wellness and California Natural both which I loved. I love the ingredients in Wellness but it gave Liberty non stop liquid. Cali Nat was ok but I knew I could do better.

My husband and I eat a very clean simple diet and I think this has kept us very healthy. So we wanted to adopt the same style of diet for our dogs hence the raw diet. It's not easy, it's not as cheap, can be very messyand this past week TBH I'm so stressed I wished kibble was still around (thank you dh who has really embraced the diet, picked up the slack and said he would do all the feedings) but in the long run I know it will give my pack (including the Bumble) a longer healthier life.

I love my pack, I feed them the absolute best possible option, I'm the alpha and it's my job.

#3 ·
Checked "other" since I'm currently in "switch mode." Was/am feeding Royal Canin GSD24 but Scout doesn't like it much plus skin is kind of dry and flaky. Am currently switching over to Chicken Soup adult formula. Scout seems to like it and once he gets started eating he gobbles all his GSD 24 as well. We'll see how this goes, still looking for the perfect balance of palatability, firm stools, and of course - good health!

#4 ·
I didn't see Chicken Soup on the poll, but that's what Max gets. He cleans his bowl & has firm stools so I'm happy with it!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paw.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puppy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paw.gif

#5 ·
<font color="purple"> I am currently feeding Cal Nat lamb and rice, I use to feed Solid Gold Hunden Flocken but it was too rich for George, diarrhea constantly so I went with something that all the dogs can eat and Cal Nat seems to work well, their coats, ears, eyes, skin all look great. </font>

#6 ·
I do give Eukienubie kibble but only about 1-1 1/2 cups a day. With the three of them I have found that making the food is cheaper for me and better for them. My senior had some problems and things appear to be MUCH better now. I can also make sure that my puppy (just turning a year old) gets the proper nutrition for her development. It is a pain in the butt when it is preparing time but I find it well worth it as I watch other people feed the can food and they are having problems left and right with their dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

#8 ·
There are two threads like this (this one being the updated one and not 9 pages long) so, I am going to move the other one to the archives and I will put a sticky on this one to stay at the top....it's a great topic/poll.
BTW, I have fed Nutro Natural Choice to Zeus and Zena for it seems like forever and they are doing great on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flower.gif

#9 ·
I feed Royal Canin GS24...I love this food, it has done wonders for Jaxson...I did have him on NutroMax, he had very dull, dry skin with it. I really liked the Nutro Natural Choice for him because it is much easier to get, but he just didn't like it. Now, I drive 2 hours to get his food...but it's worth a happy dog with good health:) I also give him a Greenie everyday.

(I posted something like this in the other thread, thought i'd post in the updated one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pinksmile.gif

#11 ·
Chicken Soup here also. Everybody loves it!

#12 ·
Good to see so many raw feeders already. I am surprised by this as I thought we were in the minority. It just goes to show that some of us are as clever as our dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/gsdpuppy.gif
I am aware that this poll is in the early stages but I am definately going to be watching this one.
Best wishes to all.

#14 ·
All five of mine are BARF/Raw from the 3 GSDs ages 2.5 to almost 4, 1 Chow almost 10, and 1 min. poodle 4 years old. Since going this route we have not had any teeth cleaning or ear infections or problems with stools. The chow had her thyroid meds cut in half. I only use flea preventative about 5 times a year now instead of monthly. And never a worm which can be a problem in rural/lake area FL. All blood panels come back great. Non-believing vets now see the benefits and are supportive of this style of feeding.

#18 ·
I am feeding all three of mine weightmaintance from Purina One- Nike needed to lose around 15 lbs and it worked wonders and no problems. Many of you know the experiments I have tried with his weight and diet problems to the expensive duck/potato food from previous vet and Purina has upgraded their quality in I mix it with chicken/turkey and they love it! Nike also gets his glucasomine chlodritin once dailty for joints and it is wonderful since he is a big boy-

#25 ·
I feed Innova Evo. I switched Magic two months ago from regular Innova and I'm in the middle of switching Bobbie (who I just adopted) to Innova Evo from Pro Plan. I really like Natura products.
I always buy a lot of extra things like fresh meat, fruit, veg and some dairy to throw in as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.