Do you give your pets Heartworm Preventatives - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 03:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: Do you give your pets Heartworm Preventatives

I don't know---here is the link---
http://www.harboranimal.com/
JeanKBBMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

In my area they test every 2 years.There is no law stating such as you said, its the vets discression.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2004, 11:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

In the FL Keys, no choice...hot all the time-the mosquitos can be the size of cats. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Our dogs get HW prevention. Bailey our 2 yr old has been on Heartgard, ProHeart, and now Interceptor.
Our new rescued addition, Bud came with ProHeart. He is suppose to go back to the vet tomorrow for follow up work and his next injection of Pro Heart for the next 6 mos.

My husband is active duty military and some military bases have vet services and some don't...that should explain why Bailey has been on three different types of HW prevention.

Any thoughts on if I should get Bud re-injected with ProHeart tomorrow? Or should I start him on the tasty meaty pills monthly? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Member

Hmm. I'm going to ask Sabaka's vet tomorrow if yearly testing in order to refill prescriptions is a state law. The old vet (my ex boss) told his employs and his clients it was law...but he also charged people who shopped at Petmeds Express about twice what he charged everyone else (to get back at them for not buying HW prevention from him). So I guess he could have been lying to screw people out of money...
Unbridled Brunette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2004, 08:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you give your dog the heartworm vaccination, in my opinion, your dog is more likley to die from that than heartworm.

I have a link to a news article on the heartworm vaccination. Over 400 dogs have died from it in a year. I will post it tommorrow. I am at home and the link is on my work computer.
Ashten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here is a link to the news story on the heartworm injection/vaccine.
http://cbsnewyork.com/investigates/l...061162738.html
Ashten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

My dog Charlie gets heartworm medicine monthly all year. We live in a high mosquito populated area. I have seen other dogs suffer through heartworms and would never want that for Charlie
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I am willing to go the 3 year route with vaccines, but I've seen too many people take the gamble with HW prevention and lose.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I haven't personally known anyone who took chances and lost, but I have seen many HW+ local shelter dogs, and that's enough to convince me that it's just not worth the risk. I use Advantage Duo for fleas/ticks and heartworm prevention.
bjoy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2004, 03:18 AM   #29 (permalink)

Here in FL HW is horrible. Many years ago a vet would not give med to a dog until after they tested positive for heartworms, then they would treat. I went through it with a couple of my dogs. Then we thought it was a miracle when they came out with the daily meds.

In the past I have had the neighbors on both sides of me have HW+ dogs, at the same time! Most adult dogs going through the shelter down here are HW+. So you can see, it is very common. Something I had never heard before about a year ago is the treatment of dogs with mild cases of HW with the preventative. So many times now is not whether the shelter dogs are HW+, but how bad.

In my county we are required to have a yearly rabies shot so to keep track I also have them tested for heartworms at the same time.
ILGHAUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2004, 06:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

South Carolina

You bet! and I test as well.

Our Springer died at 14 due to congestive heart failure due to heartworms (confirmed) as we did not test, but she was on preventive all her life.and never showed clinical signs until it was too late......but we missed one winter dose and that was enough
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.