Do you vaccinate your dog/dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Do you vaccinate your dog/dogs?

Do you vaccinate your dog/dogs?
zeusandzena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Do you vaccinate your dog/dogs?

I get what the law requires (rabies & distemper) and, until this year - didn't bother with the bortadella (man, that sucks - IN the nose! Poor puppers) - but *if* we ever need to go away overnight withut the pups - the vets won't board the crew unless they have it - so I had them give it ...

I should add that I 'learned' to be careful about vaccinations when my son was born - 2 months before I got pregnant - I stabbed myself in the hand and had to get a tetanus and 6 months before that, had an MMR update so I could go back to school - since my doc knew it - they did the titers on him when he was born and he was FINE, didn't need the vaccines for either of them ... the pediatrician told me he was practially immune to both because of me! So I started having second thoughts about ALL vaccinations (refused to let him have the chicken pox one too) for people and pets!
LaciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have recently started looking more closely at how we vaccinate our animals. I will do Rabies per law, but as for the other vaccines, I would like to do titers to determine his immunity. I don't belive that at 364 days the dog is immune and 365+ 1 day the dog is suddenly at risk for disease.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Since Bria has a low thyroid and this means her immune system is already a little compromised, I now only give her the 3 year rabies and will titer her for the rest. I also only titer her for heartworm every 6 months, so far negative. I will not give her anything she does not need. Since she is not around other dogs and is very seldom outside without us, I do not feel she needs vaccination.
BRIASMOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had to answer that I do as my Vet suggests. However, I DO add my input, I just happen to like our Vet.

I had a bad experience years ago with my prior doggie. She was not vaccinated against kennel cough since we never left her at a kennel, nor was she around dogs other than our neighbor's and my parents' dog. WELL, I took her to the Vet I was using at the time for a bath & nail clip (most expensive and "best" <ahem! Yeah right> in the area) and she came home with kennel cough!!! Then the #@%# wanted to charge me for the meds to heal her!! [img]graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img] Needless to say, that did NOT happen. (Of course afterward we promptly changed Vets.) Since then, I air on the side of caution.

My current Vet has been a dream with my rescue! HE called me at home more than once to check on Bear in the early days [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] --she came to me quite sick & had a spay related infection from the rush job they did at her shelter.
amackinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2004, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AmyM:
I took her to the Vet I was using at the time for a bath & nail clip (most expensive and "best" <ahem! Yeah right> in the area) and she came home with kennel cough!!! Then the #@%# wanted to charge me for the meds to heal her!! [img]graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img] Needless to say, that did NOT happen. (Of course afterward we promptly changed Vets.) Since then, I air on the side of caution.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You wouldn't happen to live in north Georgia would you? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I was a vet tech for two years and that was the exact kind of crap my boss would pull. My female labrador retriever had entropion (a genetic problem where the lower eyelid rolls inward and rubs against the eye). The idiot assured me he could fix it...instead he mutilated her face so badly she has had to go through FIVE reconstructive surgeries from a *competent* vet (sadly she will never be the same beautiful dog she was). Needless to say, I quit that job without notice.

My new vet is great. I'm planning on discussing the 3 year vaccination plan with him when I take Koby in to have her stitches removed on Friday. According to recent studies most dogs achieve complete immunity to distemper/parvo/lepto/ect. after the first year's complete round of puppy vaccinations. For those who haven't it's been found that vaccinating every three years as opposed to every year will achieve the same degree of immunity. This is especially great since they have 3 year rabies shots...thereby reducing the amount of pokes Koby would have to receive to the single stick for her HW draw. Also, it reduces the risk of innoculate-related sarcoma. But I want to check with the doc before I make any decisions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Unbridled Brunette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had such a bad experience that I won't give any shots after the first year except for rabbies,and even then I would separate the shots. Especially when the dog is a senior. It's just so sad that you put all your trust in the vet, especially for your first dog I did that, Well when Buster was 4 the vet told me to give him the heartguard shot that lasts for six months. One week later he was having Grand Mal seizures. In my heart I know the shot caused it, the vet told me no. You really have to be your own doctor. To boot I live in Brooklyn where there are no mosquitos! I am going to get a puppy in due time and It's really sad that I had to make all the mistakes with Buster to learn for the next. I think you have to take everything into consideration with all these shots, where you live, if the dogs around other animals, etc..

Roe & Buster
rosey516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rabies = nope, dont need them on the island. In TN it would be the only one I would get every year but only by law. On the island, the only time a dog needs the rabies is when it is leaving or comming to the island.

The standard question for a vet down here when you are taking a dog off island 'has the dog ever had rabies'

Everything else I pick and choose
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is there any other shot required by law besides the rabies?
Do you feel the corona shot is necessary?
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by GSDBESTK9:
Is there any other shot required by law besides the rabies?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In the states, rabies is the only one that I know of to be required by law. At least in TN

Quote:

Do you feel the corona shot is necessary?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I prefer a vodka shot myself, a mixed fruit shot for Bailey [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.