Do you vaccinate your dog/dogs? - Page 38 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #371 (permalink)

For every "scientific study" that comes up with 1 set of results, there is at least 1 other study that comes up with an opposing set of results.

Rabies has to be given every 3 years, because it's "the law" (whoopie). Kennel cough must be given if you have to board your dog. My previous employer (a vet in whom I place a LOT of trust) vaccinates his own dogs every 3 years. So that's what we do - Ziva got her shots right after we adopted her 2 years ago (I ignored the paperwork from the Rescue...since they lied about so many other things...) She's had only Kennel cough vacc since that time, because we've had to board her twice.

If you want to compare human vaccs & dogs - look no further than the ANNUAL flu & pneumonia shots the government wants us to have. I've never had either. Even now, when the docs say I should, because of my depressed immune system, due to repeated chemo - I won't. Call it my Aires stubbornness. IMO, it's a racket - just like I think cancer treatment is. If they can charge $15 K per treatment, well heck - no incentive there to find a cure, huh?! IMO - no lectures, please!

Our 4 housecats: 3 are 100% indoor cats. The 4th - Oliver - is out with me on a leash periodically. Never ecposed to other cats or their droppings. So they don't get annual vaccs either. Every 3 years, just like the dog. It's an adventure taking 4 cats + 1 goofy GSD to the vet every 3 years for shots! (Obviously, more often if medical treatment is necessary...)
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #372 (permalink)

Have seen the effects of corona and parvo viruses in pups and older dogs, I'd rather not pass up giving immunizations. Perhaps the ill effects such as the spike in autoimmune conditions that were mentioned may have environmental causes? How about what we feed? The commercial dog feeds are made with animals that are not for human consumption. Having seen dead cattle lying in a field for days before the dog feed guys came to pick them up, I wonder about quality. A city pound operator also showed me the dumpster where dogs and cats that he had to kill were stored until the feed guys came to get them. Thats how the outbreak of prion disease (Mad Cow) broke out in Great Britian, right? This may not be an industry wide practice. But, antibiotics and steroids are present and are a factor. I'll take my chances with immunizations.
donna.cerabone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #373 (permalink)
Master Member

I believe it is important for the dog to be vaccinated, although some of them may seem unlikely, you never know what something can transmit to your dog.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #374 (permalink)

Yes we do. Over the years I've owned 6 GSD's and healthy and all vaccinated.
Brava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #375 (permalink)

Default Vaccines

I vaccinate my puppies up to the adult shots then only titers after that. over vaccination has been linked to many autoimmune problems - allergies, temperament problems, tumors, etc. Only if their immunity proves to be low do I give additional vaccinations - most vaccines are good for lifetime or at least 7 - 10 years.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #376 (permalink)

I do puppy vaccinations and lifetime rabies shots on schedule according to recommendations (or laws in the case of rabies). For non-rabies shots with my adult dogs, I talk to my vet about risk (both of the vaccine and of exposure to the disease), do titers, and then come up with a plan for each individual.

I'm a huge fan of vaccines, but I do think we over-vaccinate our pets, largely because with many vaccines we just don't have that much research into how long they are effective. And while I would rather be safe than sorry, I also think that prompting an immune system response like that yearly for the lifetime of the animal is likely to have some effect. Plus, I've had a few animals over the years have a serious reaction to an individual shot, so for that risk alone I'd prefer to minimize the amount of vaccinations my pets get while still ensuring their health and safety.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #377 (permalink)
Elite Member

Berlin is MY first dog, that i'm responsible for in regards to financially. I did give him all rounds of puppy vaccinations (only the required though) and rabies. I am required by law in IL to get the rabies yearly, and I will get his other vac. done again when he is a year - after that I might titer.

Rogue "Tesla" von Huerta Hof
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #378 (permalink)

Wink

I'd like to always think I can put the health of my furkid as high of a priority as my own. I plan to get all of his shots, as well as to keep up his heartworm/parasite/flea medicine each month, and routine exams. God willing, I will be able to do right by Max. He has no voice and looks to me to take care of him. I will try my very best.
mkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #379 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
Berlin is MY first dog, that i'm responsible for in regards to financially. I did give him all rounds of puppy vaccinations (only the required though) and rabies. I am required by law in IL to get the rabies yearly, and I will get his other vac. done again when he is a year - after that I might titer.
Actually, in Illinois, they do accept the 3 year rabies vaccination, as long as the dog is over a year old.

Here is the relevant law:
http://www.agr.state.il.us/Laws/Regs/AnimalActReg.pdf
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #380 (permalink)
Elite Member

In crook county its every year for rabies. And you need about a 7 way shot series to enter any dog park or boarding facility. I may be off but from what ive read there was 24 cases of rabies in the country and i think that was in a very long period like 20 years. Our local dog parks and any training in crook requires unnessecary shots. It doesnt make sense to give most dogs kennel cough shots, the shot itself is ineffective, and the illness is no big deal once beyond puppy. And I saw a big poster for lepto at my vet, its in cook county and its from raccoons. 240 cases last year, and about 1 million dogs. Many who have a dumpster nearby where racoons frequent. Ill take those odds and avoid the dangerous shot. Im doing the 3 way dap series and then a rabies. Im gonna do hertguard and thinking ill do a drug resistance test as well. Screw the govt if they are misinformed and trying to tell me to do more.

Im curious- how much do the titer tests cost altogether?

Last edited by volcano; 03-04-2013 at 02:43 AM.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.