Do you vaccinate your dog/dogs? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Do you vaccinate your dog/dogs?

I give all my own shots except for rabies since it's the only one by florida law you can't give yourself.
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2004, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Although I don't like to I make sure mine get everything within the veterinary guidelines. I do this because we are mobile Deptartment of the Army Civilians and are subject to move overseas at any time. If the animals are not current on vaccines they may be denied entry. For some places like Hawaii, you have to show proof that the vaccines had not been allowed to lapse at all.

I agree there are sometime concerns but I don't want to have to leave them behind either.

I knew my old girl would not live to make another move with us, so I quit giving hers the last 2 years of her life. She had almost no risk of exposure and we over vaccinate anyway. She passed in Jan 03 and we moved in Oct 03.
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just rabies, distemper/parvo and bordetella, except for Star. I did titers on her this year for distemper/parvo because she has PF. Vet said bordetella was OK for her. I'd like to do titers on all of them but my vet says they're high risk because of the foster dogs and because they come in contact with so many dogs at trials, so she recommended continuing with the vaccination. I'm still considering going the titer route because I no longer have room for fosters. I'll always get the bordetella because it's so easy for them to pick up bugs at indoor trials where there's hundreds of dogs in tight quarters. I realize the bordetella sniffer only covers a few strains but I can't take the chance on a houseful of hacking dogs.

I've been concerned about over-vaccination since we lost three dogs (non-GSDs) to cancer within two years. They ranged in age from 1.5 years to 8 years when they were diagnosed. So now, I'm trying to achieve a balance between reducing vaccinations and giving them the protection they actually need.
agilegsds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have given Lexi her puppy shots, but nothing since 15 weeks. Well, Rabies of course at 1 year as required by law. Luckily, our state is a 3 year state.

Branca has had one set of shots but I will titer her and Lexi both every year or so. Though I understand the titer's can not tell us everything, I am afraid we really over vaccinate our dogs.
Branca's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Michelle,
That is what I have decided to do with Zeus and Zena. My old vet wanted to beat around the bush about it so, I found a new vet that lets me call the shots (arguing with me and even wanted to give them vacc.'s every 6 months) on the vacc.'s. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
zeusandzena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hey did we have the same previous vet! My old one was the same way, he freaked when I told him I took my dogs to work at the shelter with me and then wanted to give them shots every 6 months. When I told him I wanted to do every 3 years he told my mom that I was endangering my dogs' lives and they might contract a disease that will kill them. My new vet is all in favor of not vaccinating every year, she was even surprised that I told her I do every 3 yrs and supported that decision fully - I am so glad I found this new vet!
spiritsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 09:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lol! Yep! New vet is like as long as you do what is reguired by law and your dogs are not at dog parks, etc. then all is well....but, ya know Zeus has a vet phobia so maybe that is what made her say that. LOL! Atleast I don't have to argue my point everytime I go in there like the old place. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
zeusandzena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One had just puppy shots then rabies scheduled every three years. Even with the puppy shots I stretched them out. The other was vax up until we got the pup and decided to back off. They both just get rabies every third year.
playfo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 03:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well I am vaccinating every 3 years. I give them their puppy series and then 1 adult booster and then after that we do every 3 years. But they go to the vet every year for their physicals and when needed.
spiritsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 09:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope. Never again. And if I would ever spend money on buying a puppy it would have to come from unvaccinated lines.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.