Votes: 33 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.3%

Microchipped

5K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Bigwillt 
#1 ·
Did you have your dog(s) microchipped?

#3 ·
Yep, both dogs and even my cats are microchipped. Better safe than sorry, I like the idea of a permanent form of ID on them for life. It's easy to update the information as needed

Reactions: LeoRose and Coleen
#15 ·
Yep, both dogs and even my cats are microchipped. Better safe than sorry, I like the idea of a permanent form of ID on them for life. It's easy to update the information as needed
I'm another one that chips and tattoos both cats and dogs, and all the chips are registered. Just updated my pittie's info, as a matter of fact.

Reactions: Coleen
#4 ·
Yep. We verify the chips are still reading every year at each dog's annual vet check-up. We absolutely keep everything up to date too.

Every rescued dog we send home is also microchipped. The rescue registers the chips for the new owner too -- nothing is left to chance with that.

In my city, found dogs without collars or chips get 72 hours before euthanasia or adoption out to a new home, or even transport to a shelter in another state. Chipped or collared dogs get significantly more time -- at least 5 days, but I've seen the shelters try for 1-2 weeks to get in touch with old owners if there's a chip. In one case, the owners had moved without updating the record, but the chip company helped track down a relative's contact info, and that relative knew how to get in touch with the owner, so the dog got home.

Some cities and counties even chip dogs for residents at a deep discount (sometimes as little as $10).

#6 ·
Yep!

Chipped and Tattooed..

Interesting thing happened while I was dropping off a dog to our local shelter I found running loose.. There was a girl in the office crying because her dog had been picked up and she was trying to claim it, but had no proof the dog was actually hers because it wasn't chipped and it didn't have any tags on the collar. So the shelter wasn't giving the dog back to her..

#8 ·
Shania was chipped. Lucky was not. No one would have been able to get near enough to Lucky to scan for a chip or read a tag. Shania would have walked into the shelter and took it over as her god given right as supreme ruler of the cosmos. Those naked apes pawing all over her would have been viewed as her own personal servants.

#9 ·
Yes, the info is up to date, and they are never allowed outside the fence without collars with tags which include: town license, id tag with my name, address and phone but not the dog's name, microchip tag.

I never licensed my dogs before, I felt it was no one's business if I had dogs. But I found some obscure rule on the lawbooks here that says if they pick up an unlicensed dog they have the right to euthanize it without trying to locate an owner. So we got licenses, which also have their chip # on file.

I can't imagine the circumstances where I would lose my dogs, except that my male is still intact so maybe if he smelled a bitch in heat. But heaven forbid. Such a simple thing to chip and have them wear tags.

I have heard if two disputes where someone claimed that another person had stolen their dog and no way to prove whose dog it really was. Now that scares me, because my dogs get a lot of attention for their looks and although I don't think either one would be easy to kidnap, I could at least prove it was my dog if I found it.

#13 ·
I don't really care for the idea that the microchip can move and not be able to be scanned. But, I have heard horror stories of thieves taking a potato peeler to a dogs ear to remove a tattoo. So we went with the microchip.

#16 ·
Yes, mine are chipped. After seeing what happened after a big tornado in my town 3 years ago, microchipping makes sense.

#19 ·
Charlie is my first dog to be chipped. Daisy and Lucky wore tags and they are fenced and like all our pups usually only outside when my husband or I are home. Thunder and Chevy did not wear tags which was stupid. Charlie is chipped as we expect her to go camping with us and she appears to be able to open fence gates(which are now locked) easily. She scares me more than any other dog regarding escaping. She will also be wearing a tag here in the next week. Reading The cowboys girl post I need to get her license.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.