German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Take a Poll (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/)
-   -   What do you use for fleas/tickets/HW? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/437105-what-do-you-use-fleas-tickets-hw.html)

shemeld135 04-12-2014 08:41 AM

What do you use for fleas/tickets/HW?

Summers coming and I do lot of hiking and camping. I am just wondering what other people are using for fleas, tickets and HWs.

I have been reading a lot about ticks being in different areas (brown, dear, etc..), and more flies, fleas in areas becoming more immune to products etc.. we all dont live in same area so one stack that works for you might not be good for someone else. So none of that one is better blah blah stuff I just want to know what you use and what area :)

Thanks guys/gals!

nktigger99 04-12-2014 09:38 AM

I am in Oklahoma and am using sentinal and nexguard. I don't want to use topics because I have young kids. We will also be spraying our backyard with wetable sulfur.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

llombardo 04-12-2014 10:06 AM

I'm using a mixture of stuff..heartguard for heartworm. Scalibor collar, nexgard for the bad months for fleas and ticks. I am also using DE in food and on them along with a homemade spray if needed.

wyoung2153 04-12-2014 10:12 AM

I use Sentinel for HW and Nexguard for Fleas and Ticks.

Used to use Heartguard and Vectra 3d... they worked very well, just became too expensive.

jocoyn 04-12-2014 10:43 AM

I could only vote on one thing but I use Ivomec for HW and Garlic for Fleas/Ticks

nktigger99 04-12-2014 02:39 PM

I may try the garlic stuff as a back up.....my grandfather used to feed his dogs sulfur mixed in bacon fat and it always seemed to work

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

vicky2200 04-12-2014 06:50 PM

We use Revolution.

VTGirlT 04-12-2014 07:12 PM

Frontline doesn't work in Vermont according to most Vermont Vets, and i would agree with them.. It never worked for any of our dogs.

Vectra has worked well for ticks and fleas. We have a lot of nasty ticks here and also mosquitoes.

And i will always use Heartguard.
In the dead of winter, i use revolution, because i dont have to worry about ticks and it covers flea and heartworms, etc..
However, I love Vectra because it kills on contact, the ticks don't have to bite first, so i use that one and heartgurad in the summer, because Vectra does NOT cover heartworm. The last thing I want my dog to get is Heartworms, which is why i give hearguard specifically in the summer.

Summary:
Winter she gets just revolution. As it covers flea, heartworm and ticks (it is not on label because it takes a while for the ticks to die). But i do not have to worry about ticks in the winter anyways.
Summer, spring, fall she gets Vectra and HeartGuard. Covering fleas and ticks (kills on contact) and Heartworms.

shemeld135 04-21-2014 09:49 AM

Has anone tried this? Its called Ticked Off

TICKED OFF provides all natural, chemical free relief from fleas and ticks. It is made of safe hydrolyzed silica and safe Southern Red Cedar Oil...

(Commercial Flea and Tick Products - Dog and Cat Vitamins | Dog and Cat Heath | Flea Spray)

LaRen616 04-21-2014 10:53 AM

Nexgard and Heartgard