Votes: 4 9.3%
  • other (please state below)

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Nothing

Votes: 2 4.7%

What do you use for fleas/tickets/HW?

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  MsAnneThrope 
#1 · (Edited)
Summers coming and I do lot of hiking and camping. I am just wondering what other people are using for fleas, tickets and HWs.

I have been reading a lot about ticks being in different areas (brown, dear, etc..), and more flies, fleas in areas becoming more immune to products etc.. we all dont live in same area so one stack that works for you might not be good for someone else. So none of that one is better blah blah stuff I just want to know what you use and what area :)

Thanks guys/gals!

#3 ·
I'm using a mixture of stuff..heartguard for heartworm. Scalibor collar, nexgard for the bad months for fleas and ticks. I am also using DE in food and on them along with a homemade spray if needed.

#8 ·
Frontline doesn't work in Vermont according to most Vermont Vets, and i would agree with them.. It never worked for any of our dogs.

Vectra has worked well for ticks and fleas. We have a lot of nasty ticks here and also mosquitoes.

And i will always use Heartguard.
In the dead of winter, i use revolution, because i dont have to worry about ticks and it covers flea and heartworms, etc..
However, I love Vectra because it kills on contact, the ticks don't have to bite first, so i use that one and heartgurad in the summer, because Vectra does NOT cover heartworm. The last thing I want my dog to get is Heartworms, which is why i give hearguard specifically in the summer.

Summary:
Winter she gets just revolution. As it covers flea, heartworm and ticks (it is not on label because it takes a while for the ticks to die). But i do not have to worry about ticks in the winter anyways.
Summer, spring, fall she gets Vectra and HeartGuard. Covering fleas and ticks (kills on contact) and Heartworms.

#12 ·
got our garlic bug off from sunshine and ticks are a thing of the past.
my wife and I still get them but Teana does not.\her garlic breath took some getting used to,but ticks are a thing of her past.its a true miracle as we live in a forest with mega-ticks.

#14 ·
We are in Texas. For heartworm prevention, we use nuheart (generic Heartgard/active ingredient: Ivermectin); for fleas and ticks, we use Frontline Plus, and if we are going to an area with high insect populations, we use Musca-ban Insecticidal Spray.

I also regularly deworm them. We are currently using Aristopet All Wormer Tablets, but used Fido's Closasole Wormer in the past-they both work great! We switched because Aristopet was more economical for our particular situation.

All the products I use are from petshed.com, an Australian company, so all the products comply with Australian regulations. Interestingly enough, I have actually had better luck with the Australian products, specifically, Frontline Plus.

My wallet is particularly thankful to petshed.com!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.