German Shepherds Forum banner

Have you lost a GSD to Hemangiosarcoma?

• No, I have not lost a GSD to this disease

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Yes, I have lost 1 GSD to this disease

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Yes, I have lost a couple of GSDs to this disease

Votes: 7 11.7%

Within the LAST 10 years, have you lost a GSD to Hemangiosarcoma?

5K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  Katerlena 
#1 ·
I want to get a better idea on how common Hemangiosarcoma is in GSDs.

This poll is only for GSDs.

Please add what age they were when they got diagnosed with it or passed away from it.

Thank you.

#2 ·
my male, Kougar, was showing signs of small bleeds....His mother, grandmother, older half brother, littermate sister and several others in same family all passed or were PTS from this.

Danger, who just recently passed, at only 8.5k, had a tumor bleeding out on pancreas (?) I think....several other dogs in the co-owners circle also had the same tumor....

Lee

#3 ·
Can't take the poll on my phone. But I lost my GSD 18 mo ago to Hemangiosarcoma. He was diagnosed in Sept, and I lost him 6 weeks later.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
I answered yes, but it was my dog's dam that died from it. She was almost 6.

#14 ·
I lost my female at 10. She died within hours of the big collapse that's the telltale sign. She collapsed in our yard on her way out for a walk. She'd already played ball and had a normal day. By this time, it had already metastasized from her spleen to her lungs and liver, and there was no hope.

This disease is so sneaky. My girl had her senior bloodwork done just a couple of weeks prior to her collapse -- and the report looked perfect, without any hint of bleeds affecting RBC or anything else.

#20 · (Edited)
We lost our little girl, Radar, 2 years ago. She seemed fine in the morning. Later in the afternoon we noticed she was much different. The next day we took her to the Vet. She was bleeding into her chest. The following day we had her put down before she collapsed from it.

She was 11.

Thank you for posting this. I didn't realize this was so common.

Tom

#23 ·
I lost my dear girl Ursa at the age of 10 to hemangio. She was in great shape and had hardly shown signs of aging or slowing down. It happened very suddenly. It is an awful disease. :(
I didn't mention it but Radar seemed fine and didn't show any signs of slowing down or being ill. It also happened very suddenly. Our Vet told us that she wouldn't make it very long before she outright collapsed from shortness of breath caused by the bleeding into her chest. It was a very painful decision to make. But it was the right thing to do for her.

Tom

#24 ·
I lost Ellie on February 25th of this year. She had turned twelve last December.

I took her to the vet in late January because her neck and throat were swollen. The vet suspected puncture wound or insect bite, but even with prednisone, the swelling didn't completely go down.

On the Monday, she wasn't herself. She didn't get up to greet me when I got home so I knew something was wrong. My husband dropped her off at the vet the next day for them to take x-rays and I was to pick her up after work.

When I got there they told me there was a huge mass on her spleen and that she was bleeding internally, although not too bad at that point.

Never did it occur to me that I would have to euthanize her that day. We didn't suspect cancer but the vet feels the swelling had something to do with it. It totally took me by surprise. I couldn't even take her home for the family to say goodbye, but felt it was the right thing to do. I did not want her to suffer.

I miss her and I, too, had no idea it was so common.

#29 ·
I didn't vote, only because Maia is my first GSD and she hasn't even been brought home yet.

I did lose my black Labrador, Casey, to hemangiosarcoma (she was about 13) just at the beginning of this year. It absolutely broke my heart- just like everyone else, she seemed fine throughout the day and then at night took a turn for the worst out of nowhere. She collapsed, and we had to physically carry her to the car and into the veterinary office. Putting her down was probably the hardest decision we ever had to make... even my dad was in tears. We'd had her since she was small enough to fit in our hands, saying we were attached is an understatement.

My heart goes out to anyone whose suffered the loss of their companions to this horrible disease. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.