German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Take a Poll (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/)
-   -   Do You Walk Your Dog In The Cold And Snow? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/406674-do-you-walk-your-dog-cold-snow.html)

Germanshepherdlova 02-04-2014 08:55 PM

Do You Walk Your Dog In The Cold And Snow?

So on the frozen sidewalks here, and the ones that aren't frozen are snow covered because many people do not shovel their sidewalks I slipped and stumbled along with my dogs. We had not walked the day before-and my dogs pawprints-heck my footprints were the only ones out there and I realized that none of my neighbors walk their dogs in the cold and snow. I try to take them on walks in the winter but we get out there much less frequently than our daily summer walks. I wonder how many people on this forum actually walk their dogs in adverse weather?

BowWowMeow 02-04-2014 09:01 PM

We walk 3 to 5 miles every day, no matter how hot, cold or wet it is outside. I have the gear for it and Rafi has the coat for it. This winter his winter coat is the biggest I've ever seen! He is starting to look less like a malinut and more like a lion!

You can get Yaktraks or Stable-icers for your shoes if it's icy.

JoeyG 02-04-2014 09:02 PM

mine loves the cold and snow and I go just for him

Germanshepherdlova 02-04-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowWowMeow (Post 4966242)
We walk 3 to 5 miles every day, no matter how hot, cold or wet it is outside. I have the gear for it and Rafi has the coat for it. This winter his winter coat is the biggest I've ever seen! He is starting to look less like a malinut and more like a lion!

You can get Yaktraks or Stable-icers for your shoes if it's icy.

3-5 miles in this weather! I'm impressed!

Kahrg4 02-04-2014 09:11 PM

My boys get out. Whether for a walk or just playtime romping in the snow and chasing balls depends on the weather and the sidewalk conditions.

katdog5911 02-04-2014 09:14 PM

Like the postman....rain, snow, hail, sleet....we go out. Maybe not as long in severe weather but out we go.....

LoveEcho 02-04-2014 09:23 PM

Depends on the actual temp, as Echo can be a bit of a pansy. Moderately cold temps and rain/sleet/snow, though, you bet we're outside. Once it drops below 5 F or so he refuses to go outside for walks or play. So then, he torments me in the house...

Germanshepherdlova 02-04-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 4966418)
Depends on the actual temp, as Echo can be a bit of a pansy. Moderately cold temps and rain/sleet/snow, though, you bet we're outside. Once it drops below 5 F or so he refuses to go outside for walks or play. So then, he torments me in the house...

lol-at our house i am the pansy-my boys wanna go out no matter how cold but below 10 degrees and I am the one who can't be dragged out.

lennyb 02-04-2014 09:26 PM

Take both my boys for walks everyday just about. But if wind chill gets below zero then we just play in the yard a little.

Kaimeju 02-04-2014 09:52 PM

Yes, I have snowshoes so it's not really an issue. Sometimes if it's raining too much we only go for a short walk. It only got really cold once so far this year, and it was helpful to run around and play tag rather than walking.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App