Does you dog need to play with other dogs to be fulfilled? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do dogs need to play with dogs to be a happy well rounded dog?
Yes 12 29.27%
No 26 63.41%
Undecided 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Does you dog need to play with other dogs to be fulfilled?

With dog park threads popping up again, I would like to know how many people feel their dog(s) need playtime with other dogs to be a happy well rounded dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Definitely not. I prefer a dog that completely ignores other dogs they don't know.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

My dog seems to love ANY attention, human or dog. She loves playing with other dogs but seems just as content to play with humans. She wants to be doing something 100% of the time and never seems to wear out though. Basically you should always be focused on her, tugging, throwing, running etc.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And to add to my comment, I don't even think dogs needs to do the nose to nose hello on walks that so many people want to do with their dogs.

Some guy came up to while I was walking my dogs the other day. He's got his standard poodle type dog on a flexi leash. Asks if his dog can say hello. I, in the nicest way possible, say no thanks. He gives me a weird look and says "oh, so you want your dogs to be mean". I just brush it off and keep it moving.

This is the common way of thinking. I just don't get why everyone thinks that every dog needs to meet each other. I don't walk up to everyone I see walking down the street and shake their hands and introduce myself. Why are dogs any different?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope. My dog doesn't need doggie friends. I do not get that way of thinking. He does get to "play" every now and then with my neighbors lab who he really likes and I trust. But he walks side by side with him on walks all the time (we walk together a lot) and they ignore each other. It's been great for training every since they were both pups.

He thinks I'm the best thing EVER. He has done without play dates and dog parks his whole life and is a well rounded dog who is a pleasure to own.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog loves to meet other dogs, at least get the sniff in. Unfortunately most of the dog parks in my area are closed and fenced and the people have bad attitudes so we don't go. There is one very small unfenced area in a larger park. The kids are fenced in their area! My dog does very well here, in the unfenced park and the people are super nice.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Not at all - Keeta is a social misfit, and doesn't know how to play nicely, so no social interaction for her.

Gryffon isn't interested in other dogs - may go and sniff noses if given the opportunity, but definitely more interested in his pack (me) than in some unknown dog.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Delgado is a very social dog, he LOVES to play with other dogs. He's the type of dog that would be very lonely as an only dog so I would say yes that playdates are important to him. I can satisfy his needs pretty well and he's content but the excitement when we pull up to my parents or one of his friends walks through the door is just fun to watch. I'd miss seeing that spark for sure. He doesn't even greet my parents, he just runs for the side door which leads to the dog run and waits for Samson their labradoodle to join him lol

Jazzy on the other hand couldn't care less if she never saw another dog for the rest of her life. She prefers human company

Delgado obviously wouldn't die of heartbreak if all his playdates ceased but he would be very sad, that's for sure. His playdates are with family or friend's dogs so I know and trust them all

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010

Last edited by Shade; 12-23-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Ward loves to play with other dogs - he gets supervised "pack play" daily at our training club with dogs he knows, but I wouldn't take him to a dog park. He kinda tunes me out when he's playing hard anyhow so it wouldn't really be safe with dogs I don't trust.
If he didn't play with other dogs, I don't think it'd make a difference anyhow! He loves his people and I gotta admit, we are pretty fun lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have 3, they can play with each other if they want. Ranger does get to mingle at training class, he's a social butterfly, the girls don't seem to care one way or another, they'd rather play fetch or some other game.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.