What Flea / Tick Meds do you use? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which Flea / Tick preventative do you use?
Comfortis 5 5.62%
K9 Advantix 23 25.84%
Frontline 29 32.58%
Advantage 5 5.62%
Revolution 3 3.37%
Other 35 39.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

So many of us have commented about using garlic, shame it was not an option. I also use nematodes on the ground and DE around the house.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #32 (permalink)

Currently using Capstar on an as-needed basis for fleas and spraying us with repellent when out in the woods followed by a brushing. I do still find ticks sometimes in the oddest places so am considering using a preventic collar prior to and for a few hours after our woodland jaunts.
Nematodes around shrubbery and last year boric acid powder in the house.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

We've been using Vectra 3D for flea/tick and Interceptor for heartworm since we adopted Joey almost two years ago. Have had no problems.

This month will be the first time we're using Sentinel along with the Vectra 3D. Hopefully Joey will tolerate it.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bug Off Garlic for ticks and NEEM spray/shampoo for fleas on the dog, DE for the house, nematodes for the yard (if necessary).

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Elite Member

I use garlic and apple cider vinegar in Kyleigh's food, and I use a natural insect / tick repellent (spray) when we go out ...

Never had to worry about fleas (knock on wood), but she had 4 ticks in two days before I got the natural repellent ... since I've been using it, haven't seen a tick on her ...

I used Revolution on my first dog and the liquid burnt her skin / fur ... no chemicals for my animals!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

Advantix. I live in NC. So far so good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AdamandEve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
The advent of easy to use spot-on products has made flea and tick prevention convenient for many pet owners. Certain ticks can carry dangerous diseases so we’ve all become extra careful with our prevention routine.

As a veterinarian, I’ve been taught that the majority of these products are harmless and safe, but evidence now shows that both the ‘active’ and some ‘inactive’ ingredients in the spot- on preparations have been linked to serious health effects both in laboratory animals and in pets.

The Washington-based Center for Public Integrity (CPI), a nonprofit investigative news organization, and the National Resources Defense Council, an environmental advocacy group, have both published reports about the safety of prescription and over-the-counter flea and tick treatments.
FIPRONIL
Dr. Dobozy of the EPA’s Pesticide Division has found that the active ingredient (fipronil) in Frontline remains in a pet’s system with the potential for nervous system and thyroid toxicity. Tests on laboratory animals resulted in thyroid cancer and altered thyroid hormones, liver and kidney toxicity, reduced fertility and convulsions. Frontline’s web site creates the impression that the product stays in the oil glands of the skin. But Dr. Dobozy’s study showed that, in fact, it does enter the body and the organ systems.

IMIDACLOPRID
Advantage contains the active ingredient Imidacloprid. In laboratory studies Imidacoprid has been found to increase cholesterol levels in dogs, cause thyroid lesions, create liver toxicity, and has the potential for damaging the liver, heart, lungs, spleen, adrenals, brain, and gonads. As a neurotoxin, it can cause incoordination along with labored breathing and muscle weakness. When this drug was tested after its introduction in 1994, researchers found an increase in the frequency of birth defects when it was tested on rats, mice and dogs. In the Journal of Pesticide Reform, author Caroline Cox exposes thyroid lesions as a result of exposure...
Your a vet?
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
Your a vet?
...NO, sorry, that was quoted from a link and now I see I forgot the link - gotta do some digging for that quote - urgh
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via ICQ to CMorton

For the first time ever we have had a flea problem here at home.

Working as a vet tech in general practice, I used to explain to folks day in and out about the flea life cycle.

I started with Frontline, did longer than 3 months to see if it just needed to break the flea life cycle, and we did our needed vaccuming, treating the home, etc... The yard can't be treated, it's wooded, etc...The 2 cats were also treated.

5 months- still fleas, and a few of my dogs developing the typical flea allergy symptoms. So we just switched to Comfortis for Everyone!! Luckily the dermatologist that rents part of our hospital during the week sells it for super cheap to us LOL.
Haven't found a single flea since, and they were Very easy to find prior.
I gave it to 7 german shepherds and 2 shih tzus. No one vomited or had any side effects except my shih tzu who threw up his food 2 hours later. Not a big deal and by then it was absorbed.
The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't do ticks, but that's ok. I groom them weekly, and they get thoroughly checked over. I don't know that I would want to give them a pill that does it all anyway. I am not opposed to chemicals, but I do usually hesitate. Not using Comfortis was not an option though, we were NOT having fleas.
CMorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #40 (permalink)

I have been using Alzoo (all natural) since it warmed up here in PA. We are having a crazy bad tick season, but I have only found two ticks so far this year. No fleas. Reading the warning label on the Vectra scared me enough that I would not put it on my pup because it would get on my child...then why would I want it on my puppy?!
VickyHilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.