Where did your reactive dog come from? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Please select the best response:
Both parents had multiple titles and health checks. They can also be found in all generations of the pedigree. 16 29.09%
Titles/Health Checks are on one parent, but lacking in some areas of the pedigree. 2 3.64%
Titles may be found 2 or more generations back in the pedigree. Some health checks done. No recent 'accomplishments' in pedigree. 9 16.36%
Very few titles/health checks in pedigree. May be recent or very far back in pedigree. 3 5.45%
No titles or health checks in the pedigree. 5 9.09%
I do not have pedigree information on my dog. 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Where did your reactive dog come from?

Reactive meaning some or all of: dispite training and socialization, the dog is nervous, skiddish, unpredictable, or reactive towards other dogs, strangers, children, other non-threats, or new situations.

I am wondering where the statistics stand in this forum community with reactive dogs as far as how the dog was brought into this world by it's breeder's breeding program. I am specifically wondering more-so about titles, such and IPO/Sch, or dogs who work in SAR, Therapy, or other programs that require stressful environments. Health checks are a bonus, not all that relevant to reactivness.

You should be able to select more than one answer if you have multiple dogs. I am also interested in information regarding dogs who have since passed away. I tried to list the choices from the most 'responsible' breeding program, to the least responsible, and lastly, a lack of information. Thank you all so much!

*****AND, multiple choices didn't work....ADMINS, can you help out with that??

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13

Last edited by PupperLove; 02-09-2013 at 03:46 PM.
PupperLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Does anyone have anything to add about their dog(s)?

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think my dog is reactive per say but she is skittish and a bit unsocialized. She hasn't had training so that's the issue with us. But I answered the question anyway because she does have weak nerves.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I guess I should have worded it differently, I do mean weak nerved. I guess I just thought 'reactive' because weak nerves usually = big reactions to unthreatening things! So, thanks for answering Zeeva!!

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No problem. Do you have a weak nerved doggie? It's tough to deal with, I understand :c. My husky has nerves of steal but he's a bit DA toward some dogs (as most dogs don't get along with other dogs he just takes it to a bit of fight mode level). But other than that he isn't scared of people, loud sounds (sat through fireworks without flinching) etc. He's a rescue so I've no info on his background. Yadayadayada c:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I answered no pedigree because Riley was our reactive guy and though he was mixed, he was adopted from the local humane society.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, unfortunately Jackson has some issues. His pedigree is filled with dog with titles.....several generations back, there is nothing 'recent'. He has had issues since he was a baby. Ha has made good progress but I constantly feel like I need to be watching him and I have to introduce him properly to situations regardelss if it is the first time or the 100th time. He warms up pretty quick though, and is overly friendly after he warms up. So he definately is managable and an awesome pet, and has also taught me a great deal .

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Onyx is my reactive one. I checked the 'I don't have pedigree info' choice.

Onyx isn't skittish, or timid, but shows aggression when over her threshold. Dog and toddler age kids set her off. She's pretty good with adults and older kids.
She is supposedly from Am pet lines(sire) and working lines(dam)... neither parent were breedworthy, health tested or OFA'd. There was supposedly a pedigree for each but the dams never turned up~according to the breeder after several inquiries and the sire owner wouldn't reveal the papers after a falling out between him and the dam's owner. Sire had an Am name, but I could never trace it anywhere~ Bandit Bear Ghost of the Woods/could have never been registered, I didn't trust either owner to be truthful!

The sire was put down at about 10 due to aggression, after he bit someone. I don't know the reason for the bite incident or why he was put down because of it.

The dam died at about 7(after 3 or 4 litters), breeder wouldn't disclose the reason to me.

Onyx carries anxious behaviors and at maturity is better with her reactivity, but I don't trust her when she gets over her threshold. She has extreme herding intincts/but unstable enough that she can't be competitive anywhere.
Onyx was a surprise to our family from my DH....I never would have supported this breeder(she was a neice of DH's co-worker).
Her sire(Onyx gets the bat ears from him)

Dam(pregnant for her 2nd litter)

Onyx:
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ilka, my mutt, is dog reactive, and always has been. She also reacts badly to kids (other than mine). She used to be okay with kids, but she has gotten to where she doesn't like most of them, mainly due to kids in the neighborhood teasing her. We've managed to get a RE, a BN, and two legs of her CD, but I've retired her from AKC obedience and rally due to her reactivity. I even asked to be excused from the groups in Novice a couple of times because I didn't like the way she was eye-balling the Maltese next to us.

I picked her up as a 4 month old stray, so I have no earthly idea about her parents. According to the DNA profile I did on her, she's a mixture of mostly Bulldog and Italian Greyhound, with a dash each of AmStaff and Collie. In other words, it's really anyone's guess what the heck she is.
LeoRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Mike is a well bred dog who is extremely dog aggressive. He is fine with Bunny as long as there is a fence (even just an x-pen) between them....but I don't let her touch him, and she SO wants to apologize for whatever it is that makes him not love her. But it's not just Bunny, it's any dog except for the few he has known since he was a puppy. He'll turn 10 in 2 weeks, so there aren't many dogs who meet that criteria! These days the only dog friend he has is Ianna.

We did everything I could think of, and the dog certainly has enough training! But I came to the conclusion years ago that he's just not wired right. We got him to the point where he does not go after other dogs, and no longer give hard eye contact to every dog we meet.....heck I safely showed him for many years, few people had any idea he has issues with other dogs.

Fortunately he loves loves LOVES people! That's his saving grace Yeah he's a butthead but I love him anyway.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.