Where did your reactive dog come from? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Please select the best response:
Both parents had multiple titles and health checks. They can also be found in all generations of the pedigree. 16 29.09%
Titles/Health Checks are on one parent, but lacking in some areas of the pedigree. 2 3.64%
Titles may be found 2 or more generations back in the pedigree. Some health checks done. No recent 'accomplishments' in pedigree. 9 16.36%
Very few titles/health checks in pedigree. May be recent or very far back in pedigree. 3 5.45%
No titles or health checks in the pedigree. 5 9.09%
I do not have pedigree information on my dog. 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
Mike is a well bred dog who is extremely dog aggressive. He is fine with Bunny as long as there is a fence (even just an x-pen) between them....but I don't let her touch him, and she SO wants to apologize for whatever it is that makes him not love her. But it's not just Bunny, it's any dog except for the few he has known since he was a puppy. He'll turn 10 in 2 weeks, so there aren't many dogs who meet that criteria! These days the only dog friend he has is Ianna.

We did everything I could think of, and the dog certainly has enough training! But I came to the conclusion years ago that he's just not wired right. We got him to the point where he does not go after other dogs, and no longer give hard eye contact to every dog we meet.....heck I safely showed him for many years, few people had any idea he has issues with other dogs.

Fortunately he loves loves LOVES people! That's his saving grace Yeah he's a butthead but I love him anyway.
LOL. Aw this post makes me wish we had a like button. So well put! c:
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

training and socializing takes care of most ills but
it's up to the human to go out and train, socialize,
expose the dog to the world, find a trainer when
don't know what you're doing, puppy class, etc.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
LOL. Aw this post makes me wish we had a like button. So well put! c:
awwwww Thank you!

I've learned so much from Mike. heck at this point I could probably do a workshop on managing this type of dog! I've learned the hard way that when you have a dog like Mike, you can never completely relax around other dogs. When he's out, I stay on my feet and make sure we don't get caught in a corner....I always want someplace to move if necessary. And I quickly realized that people, even dog professionals, can't be trusted to keep their dogs out of his face, even after I tell them that NO, Mike doesn't want to meet their dog...he wants to EAT their dog!

Here's one of my favorite pics of Mike....how could I NOT love that face?
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
training and socializing takes care of most ills but
it's up to the human to go out and train, socialize,
expose the dog to the world, find a trainer when
don't know what you're doing, puppy class, etc.

True.....but there are some things even good training won't fix!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
awwwww Thank you!

I've learned so much from Mike. heck at this point I could probably do a workshop on managing this type of dog! I've learned the hard way that when you have a dog like Mike, you can never completely relax around other dogs. When he's out, I stay on my feet and make sure we don't get caught in a corner....I always want someplace to move if necessary. And I quickly realized that people, even dog professionals, can't be trusted to keep their dogs out of his face, even after I tell them that NO, Mike doesn't want to meet their dog...he wants to EAT their dog!

Here's one of my favorite pics of Mike....how could I NOT love that face?
Oh, he's gorgeous! Dispite their flaws they are so dang cute and we just love them anyway

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
PupperLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupperLove View Post
Oh, he's gorgeous! Dispite their flaws they are so dang cute and we just love them anyway
Thank you Laura I love this dog in spite of everything, he's just a little "different."
Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

It's funny the GSD I got from a reputable breeder (well known dogs, breeding for the right reasons etc) is a bit of a head case. Low threshold, dog aggression issues, thin nerves etc. don't get me wrong I love him to death and he's an amazing worker but as a pet/companion he is so much work! I am always on my toes when he's out, I always have to watch him and can't just relax. The older he gets it seems the more this is becoming an issue, sigh.

My other GSD is from basically a puppy mill, breeder is an idiot and after I realized just the scale of her operation I felt super dumb for buying a dog from her. BUT Odin is the best dog I have ever owned, not reactive, never need to worry about him, can take him anywhere and do anything with him. Plus at the end of the day he is just as good a worker as my high stung dog.

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper ~ (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

My male is my reactive one. He came from the humane society and was a dog who was picked up very often for getting out of his owner's fence. I can only speculate that he was left outside alone a lot, and not socialized. No idea of his pedigree.

When we got him he was reactive to just about everything alive...dogs in any situation, cats, strange humans. He tried to play with my female but was way too violent about it, and he tried to hump constantly. We did a lot of confidence-building activities and socialization with him, and also NILIF. He had no idea how to control himself, but he learned.

He still carries a ball in him mouth just about everywhere, and does get aggressive with dogs outside our fence. But his recall is solid, and he learned how to play and "speak dog." He will get anxious if he's not exercised enough, but I simply try not to let that happen. I still don't really let him meet other dogs on walks...frankly he's not interested anyway.
angierose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

It only let me vote once, but here is some info on the one I voted with:

Only one of mine has a pedigree. There is a big chunk of Sch3 dogs, one of whom is well known and common in many pedigrees (his name is Grief) right outside his papers. So about 4-5 generations back. Those are the only titled dogs anywhere in his pedigree.

It looks like somebody a long time ago took the most crap puppy from an otherwise lovely looking breeding and then that dog became my dogs great grandsire or great great grandsire. I can't remember which. All the other dogs are meh, with stupid pet line type names. No health certs or titles.

He has multiple health issues common to the breed. He is a bit of an example of how not to produce GSDs.

As far as temperament goes...

I have to give him some credit. I have only ever seen him scared of something TWICE. His first one is the vet, and considering his health record, I can't blame him. He just tries to escape the hospital itself, but is otherwise OK. His other spook was at the ocean, of all things. I brought him to a beach, and he just went NOPE! as soon as he saw it (within about 30 feet of the water line).

He also has shown nerve issues towards weed whackers, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers...He tries to attack them if allowed. Not the vacuum cleaner anymore (I worked with him on it. He doesn't care about it anymore). But the yard stuff? Must. Destroy.

Worth mentioning as well: I had a guest at my house who invited another guest, who we both had mistakenly thought my dog had met before. He had not. When this guest walked into my house (this is a man who was well over 6' tall and 250lbs), my dog immediately blocked him into our entryway. He held him in place by barking and standing his ground, not allowing this person to move. My dog was apparently scared, because there was anal gland funk on my floor. As soon as I rushed up to grab him and apologize profusely, he let me lead him away, but kept an eye on the guy until it was more obvious he was a friend of ours. Then he was all smiles and tail wagging. I am very thankful no biting was involved(no hard feelings either from our friend although it terrified him). I'm still on the fence with what this means.

Also, me and my dogs were attacked by 3 loose ones one time. After fighting off the 3 large other dogs, my 2 GSDs happily greeting the owner, who rushed over to talk to me after he put his dogs up. I was still a bit in shock at the time, and he came up and started petting my dogs - the same ones who were just in a brawl with his dogs. As in literally 30 seconds beforehand. I was very proud of them both!
TankGrrl66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Sam comes from very good German lines as I've seen his pedigree and his parent's pedigrees, it goes way back. He's already showing signs of being highly reactive and prey driven. He has a lot of SCH titled dogs from his parent's lines, both of his dad's parents were police dogs for example. I know 7 generations back on his mom's side there was an infamous shepherd by the name of Alk vom Osterburg Quell.. I thought that was really interesting! That makes him 8th generation. I think Sam has more of his mom's qualities though; high prey drive, fascination in tugging and herding instinct. Then obviously gets his great bite from his dad.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.