German Shepherds Forum banner

Is Your GSD A Groaner?

18K views 92 replies 86 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
Who up here has a GSD (or any dog) who groans? I just noticed that two of ours do it every time they move. It seems for common in Sheperds than other breeds.

#31 ·
Piper groans when I hold her and she doesn't wanna be. Like if I'm laying down, I'll call her over and hold her to cuddle with her and she makes it known if she doesn't wanna be cuddled.

also, any time she yawns, she lets out a whine. very shrill.

#37 ·
Gunnar is sucha moaner or sigher (if thats a word lol)
when the bf gets to rubbing his ears, omg does he start moaning. that was really the only time he did it. I think he picked up moaning when he lays down from me! Everytime he lays down he lets out a big sigh! and so does the cat! I think they both take after their mom lol I moan alot while I sleep lol TMI?? hahaha

#38 ·
Yep.

Big groans when dropping the floor for a nap.

Talks my ear off when I get out the leash. To me it sounds like "Rowwr, row row, rumble rumpf" but I know that what she's really saying is:

"Did you get the ball? Don't forget the ball! And definitely treats. Can we go to the park? The one with the jungle gym? I love the park. Aren't you ready yet? Hurry up!..."

#39 ·
Talks my ear off when I get out the leash. To me it sounds like "Rowwr, row row, rumble rumpf" but I know that what she's really saying is:

"Did you get the ball? Don't forget the ball! And definitely treats. Can we go to the park? The one with the jungle gym? I love the park. Aren't you ready yet? Hurry up!..."
LOL!! :D
Grim groans, grumbles, whines, moans, and just about every other noise you can think of. He's not a huge fan of barking, but everything else is frequent! He sounds like a bear cub when playing. :rolleyes:

#49 ·
Both of my PB males are groaners when they are tired and laying down...my PB female is a whiner/screamer not a groaner..and my gsd mix just kind makes that air hmmppfff noise once in a while. My cat is also a very active talker as well.

#51 ·
Over the years I've had a few moaners and groaners ... Faith is the only one of my current guys who moans and groans.

#52 ·
Just something to think about for all those with "groaners"

I've had groaners before so I thought it was cute when my current
dog was a groaner also. Then she injured her foot
and I noticed while she was on the anti-inflamatory meds she did not
groan. Makes sence. So, I waited until after her injury was well healed and gave her the anti-inflamatory med just to see if her groaning was the usual comfort groan when laying down or a pain groan. She did not groan when on the meds. I discussed this with my vet and after x-rays found she has what the vet called "mild" displaysia. The only symptom she was showing was a reluctance to sit for long, climbing strairs, jumping up on the bed etc was no problem for her. I started giving her Omega three fish oil and glucosamine, no pain meds. After about three weeks the groaning had stopped. It makes me wonder if my other dogs were groaning out of pleasure or if they may have had some pain also.

I don't recommend anyone give their dogs anti-inflamatory meds they don't need but if they happen to need them for something else then pay attention and see if the groaning stops.

#53 ·
If you had asked me a few weeks ago I would have said no. But somewhere in the last few weeks my little girl has found her voice, and boy does she use it! She moans and groans for everything. When she lays down, when she plays, when a toy is stuck under a piece of furniture, when she gets rubs. She is always making so kind of noise! Its pretty cute though :blush:

#54 · (Edited)
Heidi is a moaner, groaner, grumbler, and whiner. She's always complaining about something! For example, if I ask her to "shake" or "wave bye-bye" too many times in a row, she complains bitterly. She also chews us out sometimes. The one time we had her stay overnight at doggie daycare, we picked her up and she really read us the riot act! I like the fact that she wants to communicate with us so much, even though it's mainly to let us know that she's displeased about something!

#55 ·
Echo groans when she is trying to get us to move off of her couch so she can stretch out, and just about anytime we rub her ears.

#57 ·
My puppy is very mouthy!
He grunts and groans all the time! He growls when he plays with his toys, and he only barks if he's trying to get another dog to play with him.
I've been told that it's very common for German Shepherds to be like that. I don't mind it, I think it's adorable <3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.