German Shepherds Forum banner

Is Your GSD A Groaner?

18K views 92 replies 86 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
Who up here has a GSD (or any dog) who groans? I just noticed that two of ours do it every time they move. It seems for common in Sheperds than other breeds.

#88 ·
Ohhhh yes, Ralphie is VERY vocal! His groaning sounds like a cow moo, so we refer to him as our "cog" and if he's sleeping and we're talking too loudly, he will let out a loud, long moo. :D He also squeaks. Well, it's whining, but it sounds like a squeaky wheel that needs WD-40.

#89 ·
Rigby is a groaner. He used to do it only once in a while when he was getting comfortable, and I took it as a sign of content, but lately he's been doing it all. the. time. Every time he lies down or repositions and stretches... I think it's actually related to abdominal pain/discomfort. He's had some nasty GI issues that we're still try to get under control. I've been wondering if he were on pain meds if the groaning would go away. :(

That being said, although he rarely barks he *is* a pretty vocal dog. He LOVES singing along with the radio, although he only joins in with 10 or 15 different songs (his "favorites" I guess-- he never fails to join in with them!). He also sighs dramatically when bored, huffs when frustrated, snorts when excited, and whines when confused. Sometimes he'll be lying on his back sleeping, one of his favorite songs will come on the radio, he'll join in (still on his back) and then go back to sleep! :laugh:

#92 ·
Mine too. He also plops on the floor like a bag of stuff. When I first got him and he hit the floor with his bones making a sound I thought he died.

I had cats so I'm used to them being gracious and if you pick them up and then put them down they actually stand on their feet. This guy just plops and then lays there in the position I put him down.

I love him)))))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.