German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you own dogs because you don't have kids or feel lonely?

• I have children

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I don't have children

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I am lonely thats I why I need dogs

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I have dogs for other reasons

Votes: 51 56.0%

Is one of the reasons you have dogs is because you don't have kids or feel lonely?

6K views 53 replies 50 participants last post by  KB007 
#1 ·
A lot of times people get pets when they feel lonely. Just wanted to see if a lot of folks on this forum have children.

#29 ·
I have two kids (although one is in college and the other is a sophomore in High School. We have always had dogs. Now that are kids are just about grown and almost out of the house they joke with us that Bear had become our third child.
I think we have paid more attention to Bear than past dogs maybe anticipating being empty nesters, but he will always be a member of our family and not a child replacement.

#30 ·
I have five kids so not lonely! But when my youngest started kindergarten is when I wanted a puppy :) So yeah, a little bit of wanting a baby at home might have seeped in there! We did already have a (small) family dog but I wanted a new hobby, so I got a GSD specifically for dog sports... and the puppy phase helped ease my empty nest a little!

#32 ·
I've always had a dog. My wife and I 've been married 30 years and have children (grown now, but still in our lives) but the dog is a dog, not a child! I love animals and dogs in particular. I don't think I'd be happy living without one.

#33 ·
LOL, great timing on the post. Today was one of those days where'd I'd give my kingdom to be alone for just a few. I have 2 kids, plus a couple of volunteer kids (kids' friends who hang here all the time) 2 cats and 12 dogs, plus all the daycare/boarding and training dogs throughout the week. Our training business is on our property so the 2 people who work for us are in and out of the house depending on what we're working on.
My husband and I are both trainers, so the dogs are our passion and livelihood all rolled up in one. Our financial advisor told us recently that if we sold the property and lived wisely on our retirement fund (nothing fancy, just day to day) we could retire in a few years and we looked at each other and said, Nah, we'd end up starting a training club or something again anyway so might as well stay the course.

#38 ·
It's great that you really love what you do. I know some people who have their own businesses,but still hate it. Little baffling,but true.

My husband and I are both trainers, so the dogs are our passion and livelihood all rolled up in one. Our financial advisor told us recently that if we sold the property and lived wisely on our retirement fund (nothing fancy, just day to day) we could retire in a few years and we looked at each other and said, Nah, we'd end up starting a training club or something again anyway so might as well stay the course.

#34 ·
I have one grown child, but a large family with lots of kids. I've always had dogs. I've been blessed with the fact that I have the space for as many dogs as I want. For me, four is the limit. After that it becomes more of a chore than a blessing.

#36 ·
My husband grew up in a pet free home. He, like me, was raised on the land but they just never had any animals.....just grain.
Well he got a rude shock marrying me :D We have a menagerie now AND run sheep on our grain farm......he loves it and admits he missed out a bit growing up without the joy of animals.

#37 ·
As a young girl, young woman and, yes, mature woman facing the time cut-off, I can honestly say that I have never had a strong urge to have children. I have, however, always been an animal lover... unlike the rest of my immediate family. For as long as I can remember, I have tried to personally help any living creature - big or small - to the point that I would have a hard time walking by a swimming pool without "rescuing" any insect that was struggling to survive... So, needless to say, it was a surprise to my family that I did not become a vet.

With that said, I do not, nor ever have, thought of my pets as being my children. And, I think my pets have always been the better for me feeling that way.

#40 ·
I had at least one shepherd pretty much my entire adult life. I grew up with at least one dog all the time. I found out that life without a GSD just isn't the same. I'm not lonely, they are a part of me. Without one, I feel like something is missing. It isn't subtle, either. It's like missing your right hand. You notice it gone each and every day and it's painful. Having that back is feeling like I'm an entire person again. They fit my personality. They fit my life. With kids, without kids, doesn't matter. I'm finally at a point (unfortunately) when I have all the time in the world where I can finally reach some of my goals with them, and I have the dog to do it with.

#41 ·
I've never had dogs until now. I've always wanted one but just wasn't able to get it. Now that I have Schatzi and my new boy Cudi I can't see my life without dogs in it. I have no kids and I live alone. But that was never a reason to get one. I just enjoy making a fool of myself in front of my dogs and not having someone judge me. Majority of my friends have kids or are in serious relationships while I'm just all over the place with my dogs. I can say my life is filled with happiness thanks to Schatzi and Cudi.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#42 ·
I'm another one that there is multiple correct answers so I am not sure how to vote.

I don't have kids and I don't plan on ever having kids. I didn't get my dog because I was lonely but at this point I think if I didn't have a dog in the house I would be lonely. I have a couple of friends that I try to meet up with once a week but other than that I am usually home by myself. It is nice having Bru in the house to keep me company. At the very least I can claim I am talking to her so I don't seem like the crazy person that talks to herself.

#43 ·
I have a daughter and a bunch of other pets but I have a dog because I can't imagine living without one. I've had pets my entire life from horses, ponies, chickens, ducks, rabbits, cats, dogs, iguanas, to raccoons not counting fish, hamsters, guinea pigs etc. My life would not be complete without at least one dog, preferably two.

#44 ·
Dogs for other reasons. We fostered and then adopted a teenage boy. We've had dogs since before we were married. If I didnt have Lucky I would be lonely. Living w/ and working w/ teens I really appreciate the fact that dogs dont talk. have a drivers license ,get a report card and in general are not human. We thought we would have children but that didnt work out. The dogs were not gotten as a surrrogate for a child ,not intially but as time went on perhaps it moved this way. I have to say on certain days Lucky is the favored male in my life. :rolleyes:

#45 ·
Yes, I had dogs to fill a void in my life. There were times throughout my life I lied to myself and said I hated kids, dogs were it for me. I have a child, she is my whole life, I have 2 dogs, right now shedding and muddy paws are the other pat of my life. My dogs were there when relationships didn't work out (well Sandi, Oz has only been through one break-up), they were the fur I cried into, the support that kept me moving. Now they are dogs, they can get dirty, they can make messes, they can lay outside all day if they want, they can be dogs. I will admit, at one time, mine were an emotional crutch.
Having said that, I did grow up with dogs, I have always had or wanted them and probably always will. I love the relationships I have and have had with my animals, I want DD to experience the same, I think they enrich your life, they make a house a home, but it took a lot of healing and personal development to get to the place I am now.

#47 ·
My husband and I don't have children, but that is not why we have dogs. I have wanted a dog all my life, but was not allowed to have one when I was a kid, and then I met my husband in college and we waited until we were settled and okay financially before we finally got dogs not quite four years ago. I had to wait a long time (I was 33 when I got my first dog lol), but a childhood dream has finally been fulfilled.

#50 ·
I've had dogs on and off throughout my life, but never had a relationship with a dog until my son moved out of our home and on with his life. Empty nest was very difficult for me. That's when I got my first "real" dog and it does help very much.

So I answered I have dogs because I am lonely. But that doesn't really fit. I have dogs so I can continue to be a "mom" in some respect, I need that nurturing activity in my life. I'm really not lonely at all. I'm single and I'm happy, but I do need my dog(s).

#51 ·
I don't want children. I do want dogs. They're not placeholders until I have kids or because I don't have them. They are my preference. I live alone with my dogs, but I don't have them because I am lonely. I'm not lonely. I am happy living alone with my dogs.

#52 ·
I have had dogs most of my life; as a child, single person, married and raising 4 kids and now with grown kids and a grandchild. Dogs were never a substitute for children, spouse or friends. I just love dogs and a having a relationship with them makes my life more complete. :)

#53 ·
I just like dogs. No loneliness or place holders, I've just wanted a dog since I was a kid.

#54 ·
I answered because I am lonely - but that is not entirely true. When I got both of my dogs I was in a LTR, but have now been single for a few years. However, even though I do get lonely at times now I CANNOT even imagine how I would feel if not for these two. I do not know what the future holds in terms of SO or kids...but do know that there will ALWAYS be a GSD in my life!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.