Is one of the reasons you have dogs is because you don't have kids or feel lonely? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you own dogs because you don't have kids or feel lonely?
I have children 27 29.67%
I don't have children 8 8.79%
I am lonely thats I why I need dogs 5 5.49%
I have dogs for other reasons 51 56.04%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
I have had dogs throughout my life.....have never not had a dog.
As a child growing up we had dogs.
As a single person working I had a dog.
As a married mother of two young children......still have dogs.
They have always been there and will always be there......simple as that.
This!! I have two children and two dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #32 (permalink)

I've always had a dog. My wife and I 've been married 30 years and have children (grown now, but still in our lives) but the dog is a dog, not a child! I love animals and dogs in particular. I don't think I'd be happy living without one.
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #33 (permalink)

LOL, great timing on the post. Today was one of those days where'd I'd give my kingdom to be alone for just a few. I have 2 kids, plus a couple of volunteer kids (kids' friends who hang here all the time) 2 cats and 12 dogs, plus all the daycare/boarding and training dogs throughout the week. Our training business is on our property so the 2 people who work for us are in and out of the house depending on what we're working on.
My husband and I are both trainers, so the dogs are our passion and livelihood all rolled up in one. Our financial advisor told us recently that if we sold the property and lived wisely on our retirement fund (nothing fancy, just day to day) we could retire in a few years and we looked at each other and said, Nah, we'd end up starting a training club or something again anyway so might as well stay the course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have one grown child, but a large family with lots of kids. I've always had dogs. I've been blessed with the fact that I have the space for as many dogs as I want. For me, four is the limit. After that it becomes more of a chore than a blessing.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I had dogs and animals before I got married.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I had dogs and animals before I got married.
My husband grew up in a pet free home. He, like me, was raised on the land but they just never had any animals.....just grain.
Well he got a rude shock marrying me We have a menagerie now AND run sheep on our grain farm......he loves it and admits he missed out a bit growing up without the joy of animals.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

As a young girl, young woman and, yes, mature woman facing the time cut-off, I can honestly say that I have never had a strong urge to have children. I have, however, always been an animal lover... unlike the rest of my immediate family. For as long as I can remember, I have tried to personally help any living creature - big or small - to the point that I would have a hard time walking by a swimming pool without "rescuing" any insect that was struggling to survive... So, needless to say, it was a surprise to my family that I did not become a vet.

With that said, I do not, nor ever have, thought of my pets as being my children. And, I think my pets have always been the better for me feeling that way.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's great that you really love what you do. I know some people who have their own businesses,but still hate it. Little baffling,but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
My husband and I are both trainers, so the dogs are our passion and livelihood all rolled up in one. Our financial advisor told us recently that if we sold the property and lived wisely on our retirement fund (nothing fancy, just day to day) we could retire in a few years and we looked at each other and said, Nah, we'd end up starting a training club or something again anyway so might as well stay the course.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

i have a life that's filled with happiness, love, appreciation
and abundance.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #40 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I had at least one shepherd pretty much my entire adult life. I grew up with at least one dog all the time. I found out that life without a GSD just isn't the same. I'm not lonely, they are a part of me. Without one, I feel like something is missing. It isn't subtle, either. It's like missing your right hand. You notice it gone each and every day and it's painful. Having that back is feeling like I'm an entire person again. They fit my personality. They fit my life. With kids, without kids, doesn't matter. I'm finally at a point (unfortunately) when I have all the time in the world where I can finally reach some of my goals with them, and I have the dog to do it with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.