Do You Think Homeless People Should Be Allowed To Have Dogs? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should Homeless People Be Allowed To Have Dogs?
Yes-As Long As Their Needs Are Met 85 81.73%
No 10 9.62%
It Depends 10 9.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #61 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is a tough question!

I really don't know if there's a right or a wrong answer. What if a homeless person finds a stray that they befriend and they provide some much needed companionship for one another? I think both would be better off in that instance.

But then again, if they can't afford to feed it or care for it (a flea infestation for example), I'm just not sure.

I guess I'd have to give the benefit of the doubt to the person, and say that it's ok with me. There was one picture of a homeless man and his dog that was just heartbreakingly beautiful. Sorry if someone posted it already, I haven't read the entire thread.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_H914Tf5HS5...smananddog.jpg
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master Member

There's a homeless guy who sleeps on one of the big bridges in my home town. He's pretty famous because he has a rabbit that is always tucked up in his jacket.

At the start of the year some yobs snatched the rabbit from him and tossed it over the bridge. The homeless guy immediately jumped into the water and saved his rabbit while nearly drowning himself.

He and the bunny were eventually lifted from the water and when asked why he risked his life he replied "I had to save my best friend".

I don't think homeless people should be denied the love and companionship a pet can bring as long as they are able to provide for it.
catz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master Member

The dogs I see with homeless owners in my area are far better cared for than the dogs I see on my travels through the rural areas of Kentucky
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #64 (permalink)

Tough topic. I can't see why not, the dogs alternate option would probably be getting put down in a shelter. So i'm sure the dog would choose the being with a homeless handler as opposed to being put down in a shelter.

I saw the pics posted a page or 2 back in the thread...I've never seen a more content looking Lab snuggled up with his owner. Huge smile on it's sleeping face.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz View Post
There's a homeless guy who sleeps on one of the big bridges in my home town. He's pretty famous because he has a rabbit that is always tucked up in his jacket.

At the start of the year some yobs snatched the rabbit from him and tossed it over the bridge. The homeless guy immediately jumped into the water and saved his rabbit while nearly drowning himself.

He and the bunny were eventually lifted from the water and when asked why he risked his life he replied "I had to save my best friend".

I don't think homeless people should be denied the love and companionship a pet can bring as long as they are able to provide for it.
OMG! Why would people do that to him and that poor animal? I am glad both were saved in the end but that just once again shows that so many humans just don't deserve to be called human.

Poor man, I am soooo glad he and Thumper are alright.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #66 (permalink)

I was homeless for two and a half months from mid september to the day before thanksgiving. My wife, our two dogs, and my disabled butt were sleeping in my car during that period. I took the better care for them that I did myself (I was eating and drinking once a day/every other day so they, and my wife, would have plenty of food and water). I was REALLY depressed too and their company kept me from becoming suicidal again. As long as their needs are met, I am VERY pro homeless people owning dogs.
Re-homed: December 30, 2011

GSD: Zeus
Born: April 2, 2012
Adopted: June 15, 2012

Golden Retriever: Juno
Born: April 6, 2012
Adopted: June 16, 2012
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #67 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz View Post

OMG some people make me sick and angry.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #68 (permalink)

Dogs owned by homeless people spend all day with their owners and aren't chained to a post! There is nothing wrong with that!
fredh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #69 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes. I know its harder for them to feed their dog, but most of these dogs are from the street anyway. And I have seen so many homeless truly love their dogs. Being from the Los Angeles area there are many homeless with dogs. There are many shelters or food banks that you can donate your unused/full bags/cans of dog food or just donate that help homeless people receive food for themselves and their dogs.

Last edited by Msmaria; 12-30-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.