Do You Think Homeless People Should Be Allowed To Have Dogs? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should Homeless People Be Allowed To Have Dogs?
Yes-As Long As Their Needs Are Met 85 81.73%
No 10 9.62%
It Depends 10 9.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha86 View Post
No. No. No. Sorry but kids are like pets and should not be homeless. The worst thing about it that homeless people use their animals to get money for "food" but prob for boos or drugs. They abuse animals to draw attention like a cat in top of a dog, that's un natural. Homeless people don't have enough money to feed themselves let alone another living thing.
Speaking of stereotypes... Have you heard the one that says all animal-lover people has to be a good person?

Just to give you an idea...
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #52 (permalink)

i live in sacramento california and i see countless homeless people everyday with animals my opinion is that if they catch a stray and keep them as a companion on the streets why not better than being put down in over crowded shelters or starving alone or chance of getting hit by a car. but most homeless are homeless for a reason from drug abuse to violence, fraud what have you and those are the ones looking for a fix which ive witnessed these people doing by beating the dogs to obedience or just using them for a handout. so to say the least theres no way to control it and i dont know every homeless person in the world or their story for being homeless, but i still pray for all those dogs that they get to experience some of what normal housepets receive food a walk and a nice bellyrub(:
jbingy25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #53 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
The problem here is that some people aren't really discussing the well-being of the dogs, they are stereotyping a section of the population and judging them all in the same way. Granted, the question wasn't even about dogs to start with, but about homeless people and their rights, or what rights greater society arrogantly thinks they should grant the homeless.

I wonder if the question was asked differently, in a way that did not imply that greater society had the moral right to take away the free choice of people they did not approve of, if the answers would be different?
Are dogs owned by homeless people being neglected and their needs going un-met?
I agree with this.

Last edited by KatsMuse; 11-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #54 (permalink)
Elite Member

There are plenty of dogs with homes that don't get regular vet visits, and are neglected in some way. Of course the homeless should be afforded the companionship of a dog. It may be there only friend. And if they use it as a scam to get money for drugs....so what. As long as the dog is taken care of. There are plenty of druggies and alcoholics that are not homeless that have dogs.
There was a homeless man in my town who had a dog. His dog was better trained and behaved than any dog I have ever seen. They were so attached. This man adored his dog and the dog never left his side.
Who are we to say a dog is better of with a person that is not homeless?
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A lot of homeless people are also unstable in one or more ways, and are often arrested. If they are arrested what happens to the pooch? Does the city pound hold it for the homeless person? I think if the dog is not being a nuisance, and the dog does not seem neglected, and the homeless person is not arrested, why should anyone take their dog?

On the other hand, if a homeless person's dog bites someone, mauls someone's little kid, well who pays for that?

And, how do they comply with licensing of the dog without an address?

I don't know. It almost seems like kicking someone when they are down to take their dog. I am not sure it still is, but vagrancy used to be a crime. You could be arrested simply for not having any address, and no place to go. Get arrested, and there goes the dog. I don't think government pounds should be holding dogs for people while they are in the county clink
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #56 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
Do you think homeless individuals with dogs should have them taken away if the dogs are still being provided for? Most of the homeless individuals I have seen with dogs always put them first when it comes to food and usually the dogs are more well behaved than a lot of housedogs. I know there are some food banks and rescues who will provide dog food for the homeless and sometimes free vet care is also available.
YES, and there is help too, YES!!
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #57 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I was being side track trying to type this but there are homless people and homeless dogs and and why can't they have a better life together?! YES they can
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master Member

Simply yes..... My lady and I had this conversation before and you have to look at it the right way. She was upset because she seen a JRT out on the street's with a homeless person, but guess what, that dog was loved. There are thousands of dogs dieing in kill shelters every single day, would you rather have a good dog be PTS alone or live a life of love on the streets. Yes its tough but guess what, there are thousands of stray dogs out there doing just fine. A dog's #1 priority is just to be loved, no matter who it's coming from.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #59 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Crimes Send a message via Skype™ to Crimes

Yes!
Both could use the company and companionship IMO. They provide for each other in some cases.
Crimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #60 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
The problem here is that some people aren't really discussing the well-being of the dogs, they are stereotyping a section of the population and judging them all in the same way. Granted, the question wasn't even about dogs to start with, but about homeless people and their rights, or what rights greater society arrogantly thinks they should grant the homeless.

I wonder if the question was asked differently, in a way that did not imply that greater society had the moral right to take away the free choice of people they did not approve of, if the answers would be different?
Are dogs owned by homeless people being neglected and their needs going un-met?
Which needs to you mean? And what about the person's needs, are they being met. I would say, for the dog, that the need for the most basic things ARE being met. The homeless person usually manages to find a way to feed them, whether through begging, sharing what little they have or shelters that help with pet food for the homeless. They are safe. Safe in that they are not in a shelter, unwanted and waiting to die after a few days on a cold table alone and afraid. And they have love in abundance. In many, many cases that dog is all the person has and that person is all that dog has. They spend many more hours together than we spend with our dogs.

Sure they may not be getting regular vet care as in heart worm preventatives or yearly check ups. I know that a lot of places with at least give rabies shots to the dogs of the homeless and that is about it. It is still better than a cold shelter where they have no chance of adoption and they will just be euthanized for space in a couple of days. And you never know, some of these people may not be homeless forever. They may be able to get off the streets (esp the younger ones) and when they do their dogs will have a better life as well.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.