Do You Think Homeless People Should Be Allowed To Have Dogs? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should Homeless People Be Allowed To Have Dogs?
Yes-As Long As Their Needs Are Met 85 81.73%
No 10 9.62%
It Depends 10 9.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had a dog when I had to live in a van. No way, no how was I going to give her up--in fact, she was part of the reason I was homeless. I couldn't find a rental that I could afford that would allow me to have a dog, and I wasn't giving her up.

I can't imagine if someone had told me I wasn't "allowed" to have a dog because I was homeless. She was my best friend, sometimes my only friend, and provided some security for a homeless young woman. I honestly believe that she kept a lot of would-be trouble away from me during that time.

And her needs were definitely met--before mine were, in fact. To be honest, she probably loved our year long "camping" adventure--she went everywhere with me, even to my college classes. Got plenty of exercise walking everywhere, playing ball and frisbee. Lots of social interaction, too.

I'm not gonna lie--it was hard at times. Bad weather sucked. Extreme heat, where the van was like a sauna. Rain, when the van leaked. I didn't mind the dry cold, we had each other and plenty of (hopefully dry) blankets at night.

If I hadn't had my dog while I was homeless, I don't know what would have happened to me.

Most of the dogs I see with homeless people are well cared for and well behaved. If I ever saw a homeless person with a sick-looking dog, I'd try to help.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
This issue was brought up on our local news.It was a small segment and they actually used the word 'allowed'. There's a new development on the lake with multi million dollar homes and there have been a few complaints from those residents to animal control about the 'nuisance situation'. There have been no problems with particular animals, it's more of an image thing. They like looking at some of these men/women walking down the main highway with their dogs when they come out of their gated community and expected AC to just up and take the dogs,even though they aren't bothering them.
Aren't they sweet. Amazing how they have everything and want to take away the one thing that means the most to another. It's a hard life to have to see the dregs of society when pulling out of a gate community in a Benz...my heart bleeds for them.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Aren't they sweet. Amazing how they have everything and want to take away the one thing that means the most to another. It's a hard life to have to see the dregs of society when pulling out of a gate community in a Benz...my heart bleeds for them.
Right.

The attitudes of the rich never cease to amaze me, even when I think I'm so jaded that nothing will surprise me...
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

just guessing, but I would think that a homeless person has a dog, thats probably all thats keeping him/her from giving up completely, plus its unconditional love, were as all the humans bailed on the person, I dont think anyone has the right to say the homeless can or can not have a dog

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Right.

The attitudes of the rich never cease to amaze me, even when I think I'm so jaded that nothing will surprise me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
You know... for all we know, there could be members here who drive a Benz and live in a gated community, and who could find these types of comments quite offensive, especially if they started with nothing and worked their tails off for many years to get there.

Attitudes come from people of all shapes and sizes and from all income levels.

Just sayin'.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I doubt those members would begrudge a homeless person a dog so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
You know... for all we know, there could be members here who drive a Benz and live in a gated community, and who could find these types of comments quite offensive, especially if they started with nothing and worked their tails off for many years to get there.

Attitudes come from people of all shapes and sizes and from all income levels.

Just sayin'.
We're not talking about cars or gated communities, really, we're talking about people who think it's okay to take dogs away from homeless people. So I doubt we're talking about anyone here.

Heck, my dad has a Benz... in fact, I belive he has 3 or 4 of them. Mostly restored classics. But he's the last person who would look down on the poor, downtrodden, and luckless. In fact he's a bit of a bleeding heart.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Our local shelter supports the homeless' dogs in providing free food for the dogs and the local vets have a clinic for them once every so often. I think it is great.
I think having a dog will be comforting and encourages responsibility for another life.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
This issue was brought up on our local news.It was a small segment and they actually used the word 'allowed'. There's a new development on the lake with multi million dollar homes and there have been a few complaints from those residents to animal control about the 'nuisance situation'. There have been no problems with particular animals, it's more of an image thing. They like looking at some of these men/women walking down the main highway with their dogs when they come out of their gated community and expected AC to just up and take the dogs,even though they aren't bothering them.
So, where these people basically saying that the street is good enough living for a person but not good enough for a dog. Maybe when AC comes to rescue the dog, someone should come with them to rescue the human. Many homeless people aren't living on the street out of their own choice. Once you loose everything it is very hard to climb back up and even if you are a hard, reliable worker many people will not give you the chance to prove it. Many more homeless suffer from various mental illnesses and don't get to have access to facilities that could help them whether it's because the local facilities lack space or the person lacks health insurance.
angelas is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

The dog is probably already alone on the street as well and could be the only companion the homeless person has. Its a friend to him just the way they are to us in a home. I wouldnt deny somebody of that.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.