Would you eat your own dog if you were dying of hunger? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would you eat your own dog if you were dying of hunger?
Yes 18 11.04%
No 145 88.96%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #51 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
Default

and the winner is!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeGSD View Post
No need to eat Kaylee she is a excellent grub, bug, mole hunter. Excellent source of protein when you cant find game animals. Plus there are plenty of things we can hunt in our area such as deer, rabbit, muskrat, possum, etc...

>>>> I would eat another human first and share it with my dog!<<<<
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 9,250
Default

mmm Shepherd pie, Pup roast, Jerked dog .
Joking aside there are cultures , both modern and ancient , where dog is on the menu daily .
You don't think this did not happen in post war europe.
meanwhile the dog is eyeing your soft little self - haha , without any moral dilema . Cats, don't even wait till your a goner , lay down long enough and they start nibbling your nose.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #53 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,306
Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Default

MOST people aren't going to die in a week or two. Your average adult could easily last a month without food (So long as you have WATER, food is actually not overly important in a time of crisis) and in the Amazon there has to be SOMETHING to eat. If you're that useless at creating tools or traps then you don't need to be wandering off alone in the first place.

I personally never would put myself in an area that I could get lost that isn't filled with food sources. IE. I'd never hike the desert. :P If I got lost I'd probably be in a forest of some sort and I know plenty of ways to kill animals even without a factory made weapon. So I doubt I'd kill the dog...I won't say there is no situation that I never would but it'd be a pretty hard one to come across because I could get something like a squirrel to hold me over for a couple days...Even small things like frogs would buy you some time.

Should also add most dogs can also hunt for themselves. Put in a situation alone they will hunt for small sources of food such a mice, squirrels, rabbits, ect. I have no doubt my dogs, even little Zoey, would have any trouble finding their own food. Though if I had to pick one who'd eat ME first, I'd put my money on Zoey. LOL!

Last edited by ChancetheGSD; 11-10-2012 at 01:58 AM.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
KayleeGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DE
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
and the winner is!!!

lol
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Rerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancetheGSD View Post
MOST people aren't going to die in a week or two. Your average adult could easily last a month without food (So long as you have WATER, food is actually not overly important in a time of crisis) and in the Amazon there has to be SOMETHING to eat. If you're that useless at creating tools or traps then you don't need to be wandering off alone in the first place.

I personally never would put myself in an area that I could get lost that isn't filled with food sources. IE. I'd never hike the desert. :P If I got lost I'd probably be in a forest of some sort and I know plenty of ways to kill animals even without a factory made weapon. So I doubt I'd kill the dog...I won't say there is no situation that I never would but it'd be a pretty hard one to come across because I could get something like a squirrel to hold me over for a couple days...Even small things like frogs would buy you some time.

Should also add most dogs can also hunt for themselves. Put in a situation alone they will hunt for small sources of food such a mice, squirrels, rabbits, ect. I have no doubt my dogs, even little Zoey, would have any trouble finding their own food. Though if I had to pick one who'd eat ME first, I'd put my money on Zoey. LOL!
This is simply not accurate. Most humans can not last a month without food, and even if you did somehow by some miracle survive that long, you would die of dehydration or exposure because you'd be so out of sorts you wouldn't be able to stay hydrated properly or seek shelter.

I actually watched a really interesting documentary on the first man to walk the entire length of the amazon river (though he wasn't always river side) and he said he, too, had assumed that given what he'd read, the amazon would be teaming with food sources so they many times were underpacked between supply stops. They were in really bad shape for quite some time and they had a crap ton of equip they were carrying. The amazon unfortunately holds a lot more dangers than it does things that can help you. I'd rather not be lost in the amazon if we get a choice where we get lost.

As far as people being useless at traps and tools - it's not always about how useful you are, it's about what you have when you get lost. Not everything can be made or created out of nothing.

Last edited by Rerun; 11-10-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master Member
 
julie87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 740
Default

Guys if you are disturbed by this question then im sorry you feel that way I didn't mean to cause trauma to anyone this is just something came to my mind after watching that show. This guy was sick with malaria and for him to trap animals was taking hours. He had no time to sit and wait for food, he needed medical help. He walked for 3 weeks and he lost his supplies while he was rafting after his canoe crashed into a rock. I asked this question because in my mind I just couldn't believe he would rather be alone in Amazon without his best friend. It's not a question wether you are prepared or not, I ment "dying of huger" it doesn't mean your dog hunts for you it means you are dying and your only option is the dog there are no IFs just like the guy in the show. Notice how we can be so judgemental of people but then we do the same thing . Never say never is what comes to mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #57 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
Default

i doubt if you die on day 7 and they find you on
day 8 you're going to wish you ate your dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
The point is that if you are lost in the mountains and a search party is searching for you,

>>>> if you die on day 7 and they find you on day 8 you'd wish you ate your dog and survived that extra time.<<<<

If you make it a week, and eat a few good meals, you could make it at least a few more days if not another week. It buys time.

Now as some are talking about "end of the world dooms day" scenario I suppose I'd still eat my dogs (well, our family would), but it would be a bit more disheartening to simply be buying time for nothing as opposed to buying time lost in the wilderness while a search party is trying to track you down.

I would personally rather not starve to death with my dog by my side. I'd rather live, have a dead half eaten dog, and go home to my children and husband.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #58 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
Default

dying of huger is a million times worst than dying of hunger
so you'll do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Guys if you are disturbed by this question then im sorry you feel that way I didn't mean to cause trauma to anyone this is just something came to my mind after watching that show. This guy was sick with malaria and for him to trap animals was taking hours. He had no time to sit and wait for food, he needed medical help. He walked for 3 weeks and he lost his supplies while he was rafting after his canoe crashed into a rock. I asked this question because in my mind I just couldn't believe he would rather be alone in Amazon without his best friend.

>>>> It's not a question wether you are prepared or not, I ment "dying of huger" <<<<

it doesn't mean your dog hunts for you it means you are dying and your only option is the dog there are no IFs just like the guy in the show. Notice how we can be so judgemental of people but then we do the same thing . Never say never is what comes to mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Most humans can not last a month without food, and even if you did somehow by some miracle survive that long, you would die of dehydration or exposure because you'd be so out of sorts you wouldn't be able to stay hydrated properly or seek shelter.
It's 3s.
3 min. without oxygen, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food.
Which reminds me, I saw a show the other day where a guy got trapped on an elevator for a 3 day weekend, couldn't reach anyone, and almost died that way!! It could happen! 3 days...no food or water!

In a real life situation, I've actually thought about this - say that no food was able to be delivered anywhere, everything was shut down, no way to get anywhere. So for a period of weeks, perhaps even months, you were without supplies, etc.
The dog food has ran out, and your own food is getting low.
What would you do?
I know we all love our dogs and they are a part of the family.
But if it came down to feeding your dogs your own food stores, or starving and quite possibly starving your kids (for those of us who are parents), would you make the decision to put the dog(s) down so that more of the humans could survive?
Not talking about eating them...but at the very least saving them from the agony of starvation?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #60 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Rerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,991
Default

Yes, I would kill the dog. In your scenario, I'd still eat them/feed them to the family, not just put them out of their misery and let the meat go to waste. I'm sure many would say they wouldn't. And if that's true, well, survival of the fittest and the circle of life. They'll die since they fed the dog the last bits of food they had left, then their dog will eat them and survive, later be adopted by me, and if the same situation repeats itself in the dogs lifespan, I'll kill the dog and eat it and thank god that the last owner didn't, so I could survive by doing so. Circle of life.

In all honesty, it's a cold harsh world out there. Most of us luckily don't have to live in that world. But I'm not going to let my children starve to death when I've got hundreds of pounds of perfectly healthy meat walking around the house/backyard that is easy pickings. I think most of those who think their dog is going to be capable of hunting, catching, and killing enough prey to keep them alive are kidding themselves. I want to live in that world. But I don't, I live in the real world where most dogs would die of starvation themselves because they wouldn't be able to adequately hunt and form packs to hunt larger game to stay alive.

Last edited by Rerun; 11-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum