Would you eat your own dog if you were dying of hunger? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would you eat your own dog if you were dying of hunger?
Yes 18 11.04%
No 145 88.96%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Ummm...are you saying you'd eat your neighbors? I'm just askin' because we're neighbors.....
LOL No, I just meant that while you may be my friend you are also a guard or a part of a hunting party or what have you. Multipurpose.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #32 (permalink)
Elite Member

NO for me!

Kyleigh has such a high prey drive, that I'm pretty sure between the two of us we could catch something for us to eat!

I know all kinds of plants / food so unless I was in the desert with virtually nothing but sand, I'd be ok ... and so would the dog ... they are predators ... and I'm pretty sure her will to survive would be stronger than mine.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
LOL No, I just meant that while you may be my friend you are also a guard or a part of a hunting party or what have you. Multipurpose.
Whew..I was just askin' cuz I'm on the heavy side. I could feed a family for days.....
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #34 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My longest fast lasted a week (gave up on the 7th night). My grandparents fasted for religious reasons and I would fast along with them just to see how long I would last. The mental aspect is far worse than any physical pain one could feel. In fact, after day 3 or so, I hardly even felt anything - lightheaded, peaceful and almost euphoric at times. It was more that dull and gnawing feeling in my mind that haunted me more than any growling in my stomach. I appreciate a live dog that comes with so many positive emotional aspects crucial for survival over momentary physical sustenance. That's just me. The mental and emotional benefits I get from my dog is greater than a meal or two that could possibly sustain me for an additional few days. More than likely the sudden novel, high protein meat meal would make me sick (I am a vegetarian) and I would end up wasting most of the nutrients via vomiting or diarrhea. Even rationally speaking, what is the point? As Jane said, what happens after that? What do you do now? I would rather starve to death with my dog by my side, than live and face the unforgiving elements by myself.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Whew..I was just askin' cuz I'm on the heavy side. I could feed a family for days.....

Well now that you put it that way, whats your number? I might could work something out lol. Got to have dog food .
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

I think it's a bit funny that folks say "no" because of the companionship...but did not stop to think the dog will be eating you should you die first!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I think it's a bit funny that folks say "no" because of the companionship...but did not stop to think the dog will be eating you should you die first!
So what? I have the capacity for higher reasoning. My dog does not. So if he acts true to his nature, I would not fault him for it. I would just be glad my death could serve a purpose if that is the case!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
My longest fast lasted a week (gave up on the 7th night). My grandparents fasted for religious reasons and I would fast along with them just to see how long I would last. The mental aspect is far worse than any physical pain one could feel. In fact, after day 3 or so, I hardly even felt anything - lightheaded, peaceful and almost euphoric at times. It was more that dull and gnawing feeling in my mind that haunted me more than any growling in my stomach. I appreciate a live dog that comes with so many positive emotional aspects crucial for survival over momentary physical sustenance. That's just me. The mental and emotional benefits I get from my dog is greater than a meal or two that could possibly sustain me for an additional few days. More than likely the sudden novel, high protein meat meal would make me sick (I am a vegetarian) and I would end up wasting most of the nutrients via vomiting or diarrhea. Even rationally speaking, what is the point? As Jane said, what happens after that? What do you do now? I would rather starve to death with my dog by my side, than live and face the unforgiving elements by myself.
The point is that if you are lost in the mountains and a search party is searching for you, if you die on day 7 and they find you on day 8 you'd wish you ate your dog and survived that extra time. If you make it a week, and eat a few good meals, you could make it at least a few more days if not another week. It buys time.

Now as some are talking about "end of the world dooms day" scenario I suppose I'd still eat my dogs (well, our family would), but it would be a bit more disheartening to simply be buying time for nothing as opposed to buying time lost in the wilderness while a search party is trying to track you down.

I would personally rather not starve to death with my dog by my side. I'd rather live, have a dead half eaten dog, and go home to my children and husband.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #40 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't wish for anything. I told you what I would do, why are you trying to convince me otherwise haha

You would do one thing. I would do another.That is why we have the poll, no?
I am glad you have reasons for your decision, just as I have reasons for mine. I won't change my mind and you won't change yours. But I still respect your choice

This is all the time I will waste on this pretend scenario - back to real life now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.