Do You Think Professional Trainers Should Offer Their Services To Rescues For Free? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do You Think Trainers Should Offer Rescues/Shelters Their Services For Free?
Yes 6 7.79%
No 51 66.23%
It Depends On The Issue 15 19.48%
Yes,But It Should Be Discounted 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #71 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When you start to go down the slippery slope of who should do _________ for free, or give a break, you have to decide where to draw the line. My trainer, I bet she could find a reason to discount every single dog and owner she works with.

One couple were senior citizens and have adopted a high energy pup they were lied to about at the pound.

Some of us are unemployed.

A great many have rescues.

Some have dogs that have serious issues.

One lady just had a baby.

Several have had some nasty medical conditions.

And others are fighting with their dogs' serious health problems.

Yes trainers love dogs, and they pretty much have to be able to like people too, because I would probably be in jail for clobbering the people if I was out there training them to train their dogs.

These people deserve to make what money they do. They work hard, and are not making a killing off of training dogs. They have excellent credentials as well. And A LOT of dogs are currently great family pets/companions that would have probably been given up to a shelter or rescue if their owners had not put them through the training.

Trainers are probably responsible for a lot of dogs that don't land in shelters.

I think they are making a great contribution toward dogs in general without suggesting they should do it for free or for a serious cut in their fee.

If a trainer gets known for giving free lessons to rescues (or any other reason someone may want or need a break), they will be over-run with clients who don't want to pay. Trainers do give people breaks all the time, not because they should, but because they see a need that they can fill and are willing to do so out of the goodness of their hearts. Most aren't going to shout about it, and with good cause, but sometimes it does come out, and then people start feeling that they should give training for free or reduced rates.

Frankly, I think trainers do enough to get out there week after week teaching clueless dog owners how to manage their dogs, for a couple of crumby bucks. I mean figure it out, if you have a class for 6 weeks for $85, and you have 8 people in the class, that is roughly $100 for an hour's class.

$100/hour sounds ok, but then you have to factor in the overhead. Is that for one person, or is it a couple? Oh it's a couple, knock it down to $50/hour. Are they opening their home for this or do they have to rent premises? What did they have to provide to do this over the long term? What do they have to prepare for each session? Do they have to travel to get there, and bring dogs and equipment, etc. Do they need insurance? Do they have to pay to be qualified as an evaluator, judge, certifications, keeping certifications current? What types of information do they have to pay to copy and provide to people? How much time do they spend researching specific issues? How many classes can they support with paying entrants to cover the overall costs of what all they are putting into it? If you have to pay $500/month to rent a facillity, but you only have 30 people signing up for classes, $33 of your $85 is going to go for the building. It just isn't looking very lucrative anymore is it?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #72 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The people that I was training with, used to rent a room, in a self-serve dog wash/grooming salon/ doggy daycare. Before class these people would travel to the place, and clean the room, removing the cats and putting them back in the cat room, cleaning messes and hairballs left by the critters being in there during the day without the people taking care to clean it after them, bring in their own equipment, set up, and then run two classes, then talk to the people as they are leaving, then clean and vaccume the room again, and load up all their equipment into their van again. Not everyone sees the stuff behind the scenes. All they see is their couple of dollars their spending on their dog and wondering whether the dog is worth it.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #73 (permalink)

My fault this got off-topic. Sorry.

Should trainers give anything free to Rescues? No.

No one "should" have to give away anything.

Not part of the original question, but where I re-directed it - Should Trainers "give" anything to adopters or should Rescues "offer" help with hard-to-place dogs? No.

I retract what I've said about people adopting rescues. What they get is what they get. Some dogs will survive, others won't.

For those of you that offer your time & expertise to rescues & subsequently, to the adopters - I THANK you!

Perhaps the next rescue-related question should be made open only to those actively involved in rescues - either by working with them, or by adopting a rescue. If you've never adopted a rescue, it is much more difficult than ordering a puppy from a breeder & working with a clean slate.

I was wrong to intervene here & I apologize.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.