Do You Think Professional Trainers Should Offer Their Services To Rescues For Free? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do You Think Trainers Should Offer Rescues/Shelters Their Services For Free?
Yes 6 7.79%
No 51 66.23%
It Depends On The Issue 15 19.48%
Yes,But It Should Be Discounted 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #41 (permalink)

I would hope we can agree to disagree selzer. BTW - we weren't looking for a 'cheap dog'. We wanted a GSD & had no idea where to start, in terms of a 'reputable' breeder. Instead, we opted for a hard-to-place dog vs an easy pup. And I'd BET we spent more on this dog than we would've on a new pup from a breeder, even in this area. We weren't trying to get by cheaper. I kind of resent that inference.

Time for me to go - my opinion is definitely in the minority. That part doesn't bother me. Most of you are breeders, 'trainers', etc - I would EXPECT our opinions to differ. I am just a Joe-Blow citizen who wanted a GSD. And altho I still maintain some help would've been nice, the fact is, we have our crazy furry velcro GSD. And that's what we wanted.

"Dude" - I've never been called that before...& I thought I'd been called EVERYthing! hahahaha

Last edited by Olivers mama; 10-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Time for me to go - my opinion is definitely in the minority. That part doesn't bother me. Most of you are breeders, 'trainers', etc - I would EXPECT our opinions to differ. I am just a Joe-Blow citizen who wanted a GSD. And altho I still maintain some help would've been nice, the fact is, we have our crazy furry velcro GSD. And that's what we wanted.

"Dude" - I've never been called that before...& I thought I'd been called EVERYthing! hahahaha
No one is disagreeing with you! Just start your own thread if you want to talk about help you could've gotten. This isn't a thread about any of it and you're bringing your personal rescue issues into it. It has nothing to do with rescues at all.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
No one is disagreeing with you! Just start your own thread if you want to talk about help you could've gotten. This isn't a thread about any of it and you're bringing your personal rescue issues into it. It has nothing to do with rescues at all.
...other than what trainers should give to RESCUES?

This is, I'm sorry, the last place I would come looking for help in our situation. I am merely using my own personal experience to answer the poll question. I have my own experiences, everyone else has theirs. That's how we come to our own conclusions. Actually, I'm glad we're obviously in the minority. Because if more people experienced what we did, they'd never rescue again.

BTW - original question about trainers offering their expertise to rescues at zero or reduced cost....our local animal control high-kill shelter offers reduced-priced basic obedience classes for their adoptees. Help that costs next to nothing for K9 behavioral issues for dogs they adopt out.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
I would hope we can agree to disagree selzer. BTW - we weren't looking for a 'cheap dog'. We wanted a GSD & had no idea where to start, in terms of a 'reputable' breeder. Instead, we opted for a hard-to-place dog vs an easy pup. And I'd BET we spent more on this dog than we would've on a new pup from a breeder, even in this area. We weren't trying to get by cheaper. I kind of resent that inference.

You paid $900 for a dog from a rescue and the rescue SHOULD have helped you with your dog for that kind of bread. Yes, things are more expensive in CA, but that is a LOT of money.

I understand why a rescue will charge $200 or $250 for dogs when they pull them from the pound at $25 - $80, maybe help to transport them, pay of spay/neuter and shots, and at the end of the day, they may be $75 ahead of the game. But, the next dog might need some nasty surgery, and even with a rescue-discount, the rehab and cost for this dog might be $2k. So I understand why a rescue might charge more than a pound does when they home their dogs, and still not make a profit. If you charged only what expenditures each dog incurred, then you would have some dogs go quick and others spending their lives in a rescue situation. But $900 is excessive, and a rescue charging those fees should have paid staff/behaviorists, trainers, etc.

I think vets kind of have to do some reduced rate services to stay up in the community. But they can write it off as charitable giving and they have a bigger pool to pull from.

Trainers, who do this for a living, or to augment their living, have a LOT of overhead, they have to pay rent on the place they are doing the training, they have to make it worth while, and they should get paid for the time they spend, their materials, their knowledge, their providing helpers, etc. They need the money they are making. By charging everyone, they can keep the general rates low and still make it worthwhile. This way they help a LOT of people help their dogs.

No, I don't think any trainer should go and give you a freebie because you rescued a dog. I think it is great that you did. I think that at the end of the day, both you and the dog will have gained an awful lot, and if someone DID give you some free classes/help, I would think they were awesome for doing that. But I don't think anyone should feel compelled to do so.

You had $900 to give to the bogus rescue. Sorry, but obtaining the dog is only the beginning of the costs of owning a dog. You took on a dog that would be harder to place. That is awesome that you chose to do that. But that does not mean that someone should help you get to where you want to be with that dog for free, or even at a reduced rate.

I might wake up tomorrow and decide to start a Canadian Goose rescue. Should my vet offer to treat all the Canadian Geese I bring in for free? Should I ask a trainer to come out for free and train my dogs to leave my Canadian Geese alone? When we want to do something because we see a need for something, sometimes people want to help and will give money and time to help us. And sometimes people think what we are doing is nice, but don't feel like they should give up their time or money for our project.

The rescue should have done more for you for $900. Yes. I agree. An unconnected trainer, no. Sorry.

I never suggested that YOU were looking for a "cheap dog." But a LOT of people go to pounds, etc, for just that reason.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah

Last edited by selzer; 10-20-2012 at 07:51 PM.
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No.. they have bills to pay, too.

However, if they had free time once or twice a month to help train the staff to learn basic obedience training - that would be a donation in my eyes. A very kind, generous donation!

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I thought of a better analogy. We have horses in my county. Lots of them. Lots of horses, lots of land, no money. It is just the way it is. Some of the people who have horses, have no business having them, and they need to be rescued on occasion.

Now if I got it in my mind to rescue a couple of horses. Should my contractor build me a shed for them with a couple of stalls, should the tractor supply company donate stall mats, should the feed store donate straw and hay and grain and supplements? If I should manage all that on my own, and realize the horse have some issues. Should a professional trainer come and train my horses for me for free because I rescued them?

I don't think so.

Should a professional horse trainer go to the humane society or a horse rescue and donate their services? If they did, they would be very generous. But nobody should make out that just because they have the skills to work with the horses, they should go and do it. People are stretched pretty thin as it is trying to make enough money to keep their heads out of the water. People are very generous when they do see a need they can fill for the most part. But there should be no should about it.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #47 (permalink)

My trainer who after a few years opened a rescue includes some free training private classes with your rescue dog, and then you move up to the group classes which for the lifetime of your dog are free. Xtra private classes are more which I took. The adoption fee is 225 which with training is a great deal.She wants to make sure that the owner will have help with any issues that come up I don't know anyone else whos whole life is about helping dogs like this trainer is If you just go for training there she will give some off for rescues from other places.
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree that they shouldnt be expected to do it but I do think it would be an admirable donation of their time
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

'Should' is a very strongly word. If trainers are expected to offer their services to rescue organizations for free then you would have to expect that everyone in the world SHOULD offer their professional skills and services for free to the needy. And I'm pretty sure that expectation is non-existent.

Olivers mama, I'm sorry what you went through with that rescue and the hard times you had with your rescue dog, but I don't understand how saving money and having a free trainer instead of paying for one would have completely changed the situation.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Everyone has to make a living. Nothing in life is free. You also have to "give back" so if there is a life or death situation and maybe an evaluation or such would save a dogs life that would be wonderful. So I voted depends on the situation.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.