Do You Think Professional Trainers Should Offer Their Services To Rescues For Free? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do You Think Trainers Should Offer Rescues/Shelters Their Services For Free?
Yes 6 7.79%
No 51 66.23%
It Depends On The Issue 15 19.48%
Yes,But It Should Be Discounted 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"Should"????? I try not to tell other people what they "should" do.

It would be generous of a trainer to offer free services to a rescue. I think many work with rescues as a public service. "Should" no. It's great if they offer this but I don't think there is an obligation although maybe it is in their professional code of ethics that they do.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
You misunderstood the question entirely. This is not about the rescue giving adopters anything, it's about personal buisness trainers giving rescues training for free.
Well, leave it to me to "misundertand".

#1 - Explain to me what a "pro trainer" is.
#2 - Should these so-called "pro-trainers" offer their wondrous knowledge for free or @ a reduced rate to RESCUES?

I say "No" to a specific rescue organization. But - to the adopter of a screwed-up dog with behavioral issues? Yes - @ a discount rate - offer to help the ADOPTER of this type of dog. You can't put a lot $$ into a dog - while still in the 'Rescue's' possession. I get that. But, once the dog has been adopted, then Yes - help the adopter with a Problem Child. For every Problem Dog out there that is placed (with the 'Rescue' organization knowing FULL WELL this is a hard-to-place dog), I would bet the majority of these crazy dogs are PTS. Because the adopter got a bigger handful than they were prepared for. Rescue doesn't care - they got their $$, the dog is off their hands, & they never follow-up anyway.

But to the adopter - US - it DOES matter. Maybe all of you got a wonderful rescue dog. We didn't. Maybe all of you worked with a wonderful rescue group. We didn't - these idiots refused to call us back. Ziva could very well have wound up in a bone pile - they could give a crap. WE took the initiative - & lots of $$, lots of time - with a beat-up dog (emotionally & physically) & we've all benefitted. We would have certainly benefitted from some "professional" help during those first few months. Perhaps, instead of spending over 3K on rescue-endorsed worthless puke trainers, we could've benefitted from someone helping us learn how to work around Ziva's anxieties. And ours, as we were at a loss as to make this work.

For our $900 adoption fee, they sure as **** could've done SOMETHING to ensure their "placement" worked. Instead, they walked away. Could care less if the dog lived or died.

2 years later, Ziva is safe. Comfortable. 1000% better at obedience. A furry Velcro. And, when I'm feeling cruddy after a chemo treament - who is there? An 88-lb goofball & an old kitty. Fuzzy Valium.

Rescues do not sitteth @ the right side of God. Some are good. Some are bad. They have not-for-profit tax status. But, let's face it - at the top, does anyone make $$? You bet your buns they do. By no means do I begrudge them that. By no means do I put hubby & I on some pedastool. But WE saved this dog - no one else.

It sure would've been nice to have some help.

Last edited by Olivers mama; 10-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #33 (permalink)

Should they have to, no..It is a free country and as long as you are not interfering with the right of others they should not have to.. Should they volunteer their time. I would hope so.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Well, leave it to me to "misundertand".

#1 - Explain to me what a "pro trainer" is.
#2 - Should these so-called "pro-trainers" offer their wondrous knowledge for free or @ a reduced rate to RESCUES?

I say "No" to a specific rescue organization. But - to the adopter of a screwed-up dog with behavioral issues? Yes - @ a discount rate - offer to help the ADOPTER of this type of dog. You can't put a lot $$ into a dog - while still in the 'Rescue's' possession. I get that. But, once the dog has been adopted, then Yes - help the adopter with a Problem Child. For every Problem Dog out there that is placed (with the 'Rescue' organization knowing FULL WELL this is a hard-to-place dog), I would bet the majority of these crazy dogs are PTS. Because the adopter got a bigger handful than they were prepared for. Rescue doesn't care - they got their $$, the dog is off their hands, & they never follow-up anyway.

But to the adopter - US - it DOES matter. Maybe all of you got a wonderful rescue dog. We didn't. Maybe all of you worked with a wonderful rescue group. We didn't - these idiots refused to call us back. Ziva could very well have wound up in a bone pile - they could give a crap. WE took the initiative - & lots of $$, lots of time - with a beat-up dog (emotionally & physically) & we've all benefitted. We would have certainly benefitted from some "professional" help during those first few months. Perhaps, instead of spending over 3K on rescue-endorsed worthless puke trainers, we could've benefitted from someone helping us learn how to work around Ziva's anxieties. And ours, as we were at a loss as to make this work.

For our $900 adoption fee, they sure as **** could've done SOMETHING to ensure their "placement" worked. Instead, they walked away. Could care less if the dog lived or died.

2 years later, Ziva is safe. Comfortable. 1000% better at obedience. A furry Velcro. And, when I'm feeling cruddy after a chemo treament - who is there? An 88-lb goofball & an old kitty. Fuzzy Valium.

Rescues do not sitteth @ the right side of God. Some are good. Some are bad. They have not-for-profit tax status. But, let's face it - at the top, does anyone make $$? You bet your buns they do. By no means do I begrudge them that. By no means do I put hubby & I on some pedastool. But WE saved this dog - no one else.

Any trainer that is making a living training, is a professional trainer, imo.

Once again, no one is talking about whether or not they should offer reduced services to adopters. MOST DO! At least in my area. I get reduced training for my pit because I adopted him.

HOWEVER, the question was whether or not trainers should have to give free training to the rescue. No, they should never be forced to, or expected to. It had nothing to do with what RESCUES should give the adopters, which I would agree is a lot more than most do.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I really need to know the rescue. I do offer my training for free to one rescue that I know is sincere. In return they refer the adoptive owners to me so it works both ways. I will not offer my services for free just because some rescue assumes this.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I might be misunderstanding you and if I am I apologize, but it sounds like you believe people who rescue or adopt dogs from shelters are entitled to special treatment from trainers. A problem dog, regardless of where it came from can cost it's owners substantial amounts of money and heartache. I think that's the chance you take when you get a dog.

Quote:
But to the adopter - US - it DOES matter. Maybe all of you got a wonderful rescue dog. We didn't. Maybe all of you worked with a wonderful rescue group. We didn't
You're complaints are valid but the people to blame are the ones that run that particular rescue, not dog trainers in general.

Quote:
Yes, it would be nice to think that all rescues are there to help new owners through the tough times but honestly, it's no different than buying a dog from a breeder. Some are there to offer advice, some take dogs back, some disappear into the night never to be heard from again. None of this has anything to do with dog trainers and whether or not they have an obligation to help people who rescue dogs.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Any trainer that is making a living training, is a professional trainer, imo.

Once again, no one is talking about whether or not they should offer reduced services to adopters. MOST DO! At least in my area. I get reduced training for my pit because I adopted him.

HOWEVER, the question was whether or not trainers should have to give free training to the rescue. No, they should never be forced to, or expected to. It had nothing to do with what RESCUES should give the adopters, which I would agree is a lot more than most do.
But why? Why should someone offer reduced services to adopters?

People adopt for a number of reason, by adopt I mean purchase a dog from a rescue or pound. Some of them adopt because they want to offer a dog a second chance -- so out of the goodness of their hearts. Money is not the issue, so why would they need free or discounted services?

Some adopt because they cannot afford to purchase a dog from a breeder. They want a cheap dog. Goodness of the heart is not a factor. They have their pet, and now they need to pay for its expenses. If someone cannot pay for a dog's expenses, food, vet bills, training, housing, maybe they should get a cat or a guppie instead.

I can understand a trainer offering reduced rates to fosters. For one thing, this is a person who comes back and comes back. Having them in the class is not necessarily onerous, and can be helpful at times. They are actually doing something for the dogs beyond owning it as a pet. They are working toward getting that pet ready for its future home.

There are rescues and rescues and rescues. Some people call the dog they bought from a pet store a rescue, because they rescued it from an awful situation. Some people consider the dog they bought from a local BYB a rescue because it wasn't a reputable breeder.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone not connected to a specific rescue where the dog was purchased would give the final purchaser of the dog a break because of how they obtained their dog. Now if the going rate was $120 in the area, and someone charges $150 but will give you $30 off if you "adopted" your dog, basically to get you in the door, and keep you as a customer, well it's all a racket isn't it?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #38 (permalink)

My apologies to all. You're right. I'm wrong.

"Professional trainers" should not offer Rescues any help at a reduced rate. And, certainly no help for those who adopt problem dogs. Leave it to the uninformed, uneducated adopters to muddle their way through it. Some will, some won't - it's obviously the nature of the beast. There's no sense of "entitlement" here - this was a hypothetical question & I responded in the same manner.

Through no help of this particular rescue, and no help from their liason partnerships (other than lots of $$), we made it. Had I consulted this forum, we would probably never have adopted this dog. A physical & psychological mess, she would've been PTS.

2 years later, I, personally, am GLAD we went through what we did. But, would I wish this experience on anyone? Nope. And someone tryng to help a battered rescue is a WHOLE lot different than buying a 6-8 week old pup from a breeder. Been there, done that. Raising a pup is a whole lot easier.

If you personally have never adopted an adult battered dog, you're in no position to lecture me on what help I believe we could've used. Instead of ripping me a new one because I don't agree with the status quo, you should be saying 'Thanks' for saving a dog - a GSD - from the dead body heap.

I posed ths question to my hubby, to elicit a response from someone who went thru this experience from Start to Finish (he's nicer than I am). He feels it would have been 'nice', had someone offered help unlike what we experienced. That's all I'm saying - a little help would've been nice.

I mean - seriously - look a look at that beYOOOtiful puppy face in my avatar - Ziva holding her sock monkey. I'm HAPPY we perservered. I bet she would agree. With no help from the rescue or any of their alliances. You can kick us. Me? I'm happy with what we did. I bet Ziva would agree.

Last edited by Olivers mama; 10-20-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
My apologies to all. You're right. I'm wrong.

"Professional trainers" should not offer Rescues any help at a reduced rate. And, certainly no help for those who adopt problem dogs. Leave it to the uninformed, uneducated adopters to muddle their way through it. Some will, some won't - it's obviously the nature of the beast. There's no sense of "entitlement" here - this was a hypothetical question & I responded in the same manner.

Through no help of this particular rescue, and no help from their liason partnerships (other than lots of $$), we made it. Had I consulted this forum, we would probably never have adopted this dog. A physical & psychological mess, she would've been PTS.

2 years later, I, personally, am GLAD we went through what we did. But, would I wish this experience on anyone? Nope. And someone tryng to help a battered rescue is a WHOLE lot different than buying a 6-8 week old pup from a breeder. Been there, done that. Raising a pup is a whole lot easier.

If you personally have never adopted an adult battered dog, you're in no position to lecture me on what help I believe we could've used. Instead of ripping me a new one because I don't agree with the status quo, you should be saying 'Thanks' for saving a dog - a GSD - from the dead body heap.

I posed ths question to my hubby, to elicit a response from someone who went thru this experience from Start to Finish (he's nicer than I am). He feels it would have been 'nice', had someone offered help unlike what we experienced. That's all I'm saying - a little help would've been nice.

I mean - seriously - look a look at that beYOOOtiful puppy face in my avatar - Ziva holding her sock monkey. I'm HAPPY we perservered. I bet she would agree. With no help from the rescue or any of their alliances. You can kick us. Me? I'm happy with what we did. I bet Ziva would agree.
Dude, you're completely off topic! No one is insulting you or telling you that you had it easy or didn't deserve help. That just isn't the topic at hand!

I've worked at numerous shelters. I've rehabilited dogs that WERE going to be PTS at the shelter for fear aggression. I've helped rehabilitate dogs that were rehabilitatable AT the shelters and they've gotten homes. I don't know what you went through with your dog, but I can guarantee I've seen the same things at work. No one ever said that you shouldn't get help as an adopter or have been told of her issues, but that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
But why? Why should someone offer reduced services to adopters?
Racket's probably the best term. My trainer does this. I dunno why.. to support the idea of adopting dogs instead of from the BYB around here I suppose? She charges more for first time students than she does repeat students, too.. I suppose that would probably fit into your idea, too.. I don't know why any of them do, I just know they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.