Do You Think Professional Trainers Should Offer Their Services To Rescues For Free? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do You Think Trainers Should Offer Rescues/Shelters Their Services For Free?
Yes 6 7.79%
No 51 66.23%
It Depends On The Issue 15 19.48%
Yes,But It Should Be Discounted 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderator
 
bocron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Milton, Georgia
Posts: 1,996
Default

Totally depends on the trainer and the rescue. We used to help out with a few local rescues but got frustrated with them. We kept getting snide comments about our own dogs not being neutered and had one lady tell us to not tell anyone we had ever bred one of the females we brought with us as a demo dog. (a SchH3 KkL1 female with exemplary temperament, she was bred in Belgium before we got her). They spend full time totally bashing breeders (we are not breeders, but we obviously buy from them). So in that instance I saw no reason to be magnanimous and discontinued the relationships at that point. I used to get regular calls from rescues also asking us to offer free or discounted daycare/boarding to fosters as well. I basically laughed in their face at that point.
We do free training still, but not for any rescues around here. We like to give back to our community, but not at the expense of being treated like that!
__________________
Annette Holbrook

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 24,187
Default

Free training for the community? Can you please move to Ashtabula County, Ohio?
__________________
Arwen, CD RN CGC
Whitney, RN CGC
Tori, RN CGC

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
mycobraracr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
Totally depends on the trainer and the rescue. We used to help out with a few local rescues but got frustrated with them. We kept getting snide comments about our own dogs not being neutered and had one lady tell us to not tell anyone we had ever bred one of the females we brought with us as a demo dog. (a SchH3 KkL1 female with exemplary temperament, she was bred in Belgium before we got her). They spend full time totally bashing breeders (we are not breeders, but we obviously buy from them). So in that instance I saw no reason to be magnanimous and discontinued the relationships at that point. I used to get regular calls from rescues also asking us to offer free or discounted daycare/boarding to fosters as well. I basically laughed in their face at that point.
We do free training still, but not for any rescues around here. We like to give back to our community, but not at the expense of being treated like that!
My trainer has had the same experience . She spent hours on a couple dogs. They had nice "pet" obedience and she even got them CGC's. The dogs just sat around for another five years and never got adopted. It was a complete waste of her time.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Free training for the community? Can you please move to Ashtabula County, Ohio?
How about moving to Placer County, CA?

Maybe our experience was in the minority (I don't think so) - but I DO think a Rescue should offer training at a reduced rate esPECially if they know - & admit - that the dog they're placing is a difficult.

The Rescue we went thru was the biggest pile of elephant dung I could imagine. Too bad we didn't know that at the time. They only told the truth about our dog once - & that is, that she's a GSD. Everything else was lie: She did NOT "walk well" on a leash. She was NOT housebroken. She did NOT get along with cats (This was a big one for us, because we have 4 housecats. In fact, they turned us down for a Belgian because he 'wasn't good with cats'. Yeah, right. This Belgian is now working SAR & lives w/ 2 cats...)

Problem is - after having her less than a week, they never came back to the house. Wouldn't return our calls. We came to the conclusion they'd PTS if they got her back - she was that crazy of a dog then. But she'd already stolen our hearts - skinny little scarred dog with abrasions old & new.

2 years later, we have a dog that's coming along nicely - in SPITE of our errors. From 70 to 88 lbs. BYB for sure. Thousands spent on trainers, a behaviorist (OMG - that was a joke...) & the vet (mostly ruling out any & all ailments known to affect GSD...) Not a whole lot of people would've done that - could very well have wound up at the shelter or worse...

So yes, I think the Rescue should offer something more than a handshake. (Altho the one with whom we dealt can KMA)
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Sunflowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 6,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
...

So yes, I think the Rescue should offer something more than a handshake. (Altho the one with whom we dealt can KMA)
The question was, " Do You Think Professional Trainers Should Offer Their Services To Rescues For Free?"

And the rescues I dealt with were all volunteer based. They already are offering more than a handshake. Fostering, gas for transport, all these things do cost money.
__________________
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-2012
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,081
Default

No I don't believe it should be expected that they donate their time, but if they choose to do so either free or discounted then that's wonderful and I would hope they would be recognized
__________________
Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
The question was, " Do You Think Professional Trainers Should Offer Their Services To Rescues For Free?"

And the rescues I dealt with were all volunteer based. They already are offering more than a handshake. Fostering, gas for transport, all these things do cost money.
Professional Trainer - just because they can hang out a shingle that says they're "professional" doesn't mean they are. I know - we found 2 of them.

Not for free - but reduced rates?

Volunteer-based or not - are we the only ones who dealt with a lousy Rescue? Hardly. Volunteerism is a not a license to lie. And yes, all costs money. But they also get reduced rates at vet's. There is no way they lost any money when we adopted Ziva.

It's OK - I'm quite used to being in the minority when it comes to personal views on something!
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SukiGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South FL
Posts: 235
Default

I said it depends because....

A dog that might be particularly hard to place due to behavior issues should be able to have a fighting chance. If a trainer with experience and a heart would spend time with those particular dogs, they might have a better chance at a happy home life with someone who is willing to continue the work after he/she gets adopted. If you can show someone that a dog has potential, despite some issues, I think it gives the dog a better chance and a potential adopter some piece of mind that a dog has been evaluated and cleared for adoption.

If we're talking about a trainer offering their services to a shelter to run classes for free - I don't know if FREE is necessarily fair to the trainer. It takes a lot of work and patience to work with dogs and their owners. They should be compensated to the best of the shelter's abilities. We paid for basic obedience classes for Suki, but we met a private trainer later on who worked with us for FREE, despite us trying to offer her money for her time. She just really loved our dog, and us, and wanted us to succeed. I couldn't thank her enough for all of her guidance and support especially during the hard times with our girl. I wish more trainers were as humble as she is.
__________________
Suki 11.28.11
SukiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukiGirl View Post
I said it depends because....

A dog that might be particularly hard to place due to behavior issues should be able to have a fighting chance. If a trainer with experience and a heart would spend time with those particular dogs, they might have a better chance at a happy home life with someone who is willing to continue the work after he/she gets adopted. If you can show someone that a dog has potential, despite some issues, I think it gives the dog a better chance and a potential adopter some piece of mind that a dog has been evaluated and cleared for adoption.
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I wouldn't want basic obedience training. But I'm talking about basic behavioral issues. Issues the Rescue is darn aware of, if they've had the dog more than 24 hours. Offer help to the adopter - don't give them nothing after cashing the check. This rescue organization is darn lucky my hubby fell in love with this dog. And I'm lucky he didn't divorce me when it came to spending lots of money on recc trainers & the like. Or, is it just easier & more economical for the rescue to just PTS? I don't know - we'll never know, for they wouldn't get back to us. Not all Rescue groups are Lollipop factories - some are quite devious.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SukiGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South FL
Posts: 235
Default

I would hope that a shelter would be more willing to pay for a behaviorist to work with the dogs before adoption rather than put them down! Unfortunately, not all shelter are 'no kill' - and most are probably hoping that a dog will get adopted and be out of their hair before they have to make that call. What I was trying to say is that experienced trainers should want to be an advocate for the pups who will be more work and harder to train and help them find a loving home. If a shelter didn't have to pay for the service of a trainer for those PARTICULAR dogs, they might be less likely to put them down or place them in homes knowing they are bound to fail.
__________________
Suki 11.28.11
SukiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com