How often does your companion(s) accompany you out the house? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Accompany me.
80-100% of the time, even if it's unnecessary 31 43.66%
50-80% 14 19.72%
30-50% 12 16.90%
0-30% 14 19.72%
NEVER, S/HE STAYS HOME! 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Avery goes with me every day to the shelter that is run by our dog trainer. They run the training programs, doggy daycare and kennels and the shelter. I spend the day volunteering while he goes to play. He always goes with me to take the husband to and from work. He's been to a few restaurants and pubs with us and has done quite well. I'd say he tags along about 90% of the time with weather taken in account. Germany is very (well behaved) pet friendly so the boy is attached to my hip. Oh not to mention he loves far rides as soon as he hears the keys jingle he's at the door waiting to go.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Mamma to Mellie (Black Cat) and Avery (GSD)
jourdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

I chose 0-30%. I rarely go anywhere that my dogs can go too. If I go to a festival, I will take Ditto for a few hours, but not the whole time because it is too long. I don't take the other dogs to public places because they aren't 100% reliable when it comes to strangers.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #23 (permalink)

I picked 30-50%. Discoe goes with me to lots of places: friends' houses occasionally, we go for walks anywhere we can but mostly around our own neighborhood, if I'm going to a drive-thru restaurant or to make a quick food pickup and she goes with me when I have to go up to work to pick up dog food, supplies or my check stub about once a week. I'm also good friends with my breeder, so we'll go to her house and she can play with her siblings, and we might even occasionally pack everyone up and go somewhere.

That said, she doesn't go EVERYWHERE with me. I don't take her places that she's not allowed inside and would have to wait for an extended period in the car. I will usually go out with friends once a week, and she stays home for that, too. My mom is always home, and does a lot of gardening, cooking or sitting on the porch in the warmer months, so both girls are glad to sit in the kitchen and sample whatever's on the menu for the day, or lounge around in the dirt while she pulls weeds or pass out on the porch while she reads or plays her DS.

RIP Reba von Treue Freundschaft, CGC, TDI
May 11, 2005 - May 23, 2013
Discoetheque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

My girl is being trained up for service work so she goes everywhere i do. She loves it! Don't think she would forgive me if I left her at home at this point.
WhiteSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

I chose 30%, mainly because when we all do decide to go out (Myself, husband and two boys) it's usually for an all day sort of thing. Getting all the running around and shopping done all at once, so we do not take Bella.
I am paranoid about leaving her in the car so only take her with when I run out alone when it's nice and cool and she can be comfortable. If we go to a park or the lake she always comes. (Especially is there is water she can swim in.
So depending on the situation the percentage varies
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to wildwolf60

Not nearly as much as I'd like..... Our schedule is so tight that we can't take ours too many places cause we're always going either to work or the store where they are not welcome. When I get a chance, I try to take them to dog friendly stores, but that's rare lately. Even when I go to Petsmart, I'm usually with my elderly mother, and there's no room for them, plus I have to take her to places where I will not leave dogs in the car, as we'd be gone too long.
wildwolf60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Other than the gym and occasionally the grocery store, I take my dog everywhere. I really don't like leaving the house without her.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I picked 0-30%.

I take one dog with me if:
1. they are welcome
2. there is no way I might have to leave them where it is unsafe for them to be
3. I am not going to have my mind focused on other things (like my little sister's MIL brought the dog to help them move -- NOT)
4. It won't be too long of a day, I love my dogs, but on a day off, I want to be able to relax, and I really do not want to be 100% conscious of what is going on with my dog 100% of the time.

I take them to training classes, the vet, the pet stores, one friend's home who has a dog that will run with mine, the bike trail, all over town at night for walks on occasion, and occasionally to a park (not a dog park, just a ford with a river, or a park with some woods and paths.

I was raised in a family where dogs stayed home. I do not like to take my dogs to people's homes who do not have dogs. They do not have pets, possibly because they do not like hair and smell or they have little kids and will be anxious, I respect that. I do not like to take my dogs to people's homes that do have dogs, because that just makes everyone crazy most of the time. Really, my dogs have to be invited specifically. And, I really don't want people bringing their dogs to my house either. My girls would be all nutso about some strange dog in the house.

Unless these are dog-acquaintances, the purpose of the visit is for people to visit. If the people are as nutty as I am about dogs, they might be ok with talking about Fluffy, looking at Fluffy, slipping Fluffy a treat, admonishing Fluffy, taking Fluffy out, and talking about Fluffy. If you do that with all your friends, relatives, and acquaintances, then you are going to strip yourself down to only doggy-friends. And while dog-fanatics can hold a conversation about things other than dogs on occasion, it is sometimes hard to figure out what things they would be good to talk about to because they are so busy admiring Fluffy that we don't aways get beyond the fluff.

I have different friends that I am willing to disclose different things too. If you listen and watch people you will find that some are not as open/safe/enduring about some topics as they are others. I have a few people that I feel relatively confident that I can talk about anything with, two of them are not dog people though, and I guard against wearing them out on the subject. As for pinochle parties, nope -- much too rowdy to bring the dogs to, and I wouldn't have any fun at all if my dog was there.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #29 (permalink)

I take Kanchhi everywhere. I'm single and work nights and it's pretty slow so I can get out to walk/water/feed her every couple hours. My co-workers demand I let them know when I'm going outside so they can play with her.

She's 5 1/2 months and has been doing this since I got her. She loves the truck. All I have to say is "truck" and she's jumping to get in. She loves riding and over the last 2 months has gotten brave about sticking her face out the window. It's fun to watch.

Occasionally when I need a break from her, I'll say "kennel" and she'll go into it, I close the door and I'm off for a few hours on the Harley. Granted she's pretty anxious like most dogs who figure you're NEVER coming back, but she chills after a few minutes.

Otherwise, we're thick as thieves and go everywhere together.
Kanchhi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't go many places, so that limits the number of trips my dogs can come with me a bit. I'm not going to bring them grocery shopping with me!

I chose 50 - 80%.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.