Would You Allow ALL DOG BREEDS? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would You Allow All Dog Breeds In Your Rentals
Yes 31 38.75%
No 17 21.25%
It depends 35 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Great topic, now my delema:
I am a landlord and to make a long story short...my tennant just called me because she recieved my letter to "immediately remove" the dog which she claims is a pit/black lab mix from my property. When she moved in they had a pug, that was all. Then a year or so later we saw they added a poodle, fine. Last year we learned they have this large turtle ok. When my husband went there earlier this summer he saw the pit and told her he had to go. Shortly there after I expressed my concerns about my liability and said he had to go. On sunday I had to go there and the pit was still there, how do I know, I heard him scratch the door and I asked. So she let him out and he was all waggy tail acting friendly. I was mad that she ignored my request to rehome the dog and told her I didn't care he had to go.
My reasoning aside from my homeowners & personal liability is the dog supposedly belongs to her young son (15yrs? he is working at mc donalds now) she also has 2 small little girls and an infant. She works 2 jobs. Need I really say more?
So I left off the conversation with her that she has 2 weeks to provide her own rental policy including the dog and she MUST contact my trainer for evaluation & schedule a CGC. I would only trust recommendations from my trainer. I looked online and my homeowners does work with AKC and CGC is noted.
So as I bang my head against the wall and try to wash the sucker sign off my forehead. When she said her girls cried after I left I should have just said "when I was renting and I had to get rid of my dog I cried to, thats why I bought my house".
P.S. I didn't vote...yet
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with most of the other posters. I would allow any and all breeds, but I would require a certificate of passing an obedience class, UTD on all shots, and a clause stating that, if there were any problems, the rental agreement would be terminated. They would also have to have their own rental insurance to cover anything that may happen. It's not the breeds' fault, it's the fault of the owner for not properly taking care of their dog.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As much as I love the Hooligans and the GSD breed, if I were renting a house or apartment, I'd have a NO PETS policy.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

I have one rental property and I dont ban pets, i just check references to ensure no property destruction occurred. Not fool proof but havent had destructive pets yet.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well did she contact the trainer or move? I think it was pretty nice of you to allow her to keep the dog as long as she contacted your trainer. I mean I am not a landlord,but have rented plenty of times and know how hard it is to not only rent,but to also rent from landlords who are constantly reminding you of the fact that you are in their house. Not saying that's what you do,but there are those types out there. From a personal stand point of knowing how hard it is to find a place that will accept pets, I want to say that I would allow all pets as long as the owners proved responsible.

On the business side of it, I am sure allowing all dogs would cause some problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
Great topic, now my delema:
So I left off the conversation with her that she has 2 weeks to provide her own rental policy including the dog and she MUST contact my trainer for evaluation & schedule a CGC. I would only trust recommendations from my trainer. I looked online and my homeowners does work with AKC and CGC is noted.
So as I bang my head against the wall and try to wash the sucker sign off my forehead. When she said her girls cried after I left I should have just said "when I was renting and I had to get rid of my dog I cried to, thats why I bought my house".
P.S. I didn't vote...yet
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master Member

Unfortunately, many times the choice is up to the landlord's homeowner's insurance policy, not the landlord/owner. Of course, if I (as the landlord/owner) didn't like the insurance policy I could change to another company, but here in MI there are several companies who either won't insure you at all if have certain breeds ( GSD, Rott, Pit Bull, etc), or they charge you 3-4x as much as the same policy without these dogs.
Laughin' Tori Lori, CD, RN, CGC
Marcella's Miss Ruby Dee, RN, CGC, TDI
EchoGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
If I rented out properties, I would base my decision on whether or not the dog was allowed on its behavior (as well as the owner). If the dog was well behaved, or the owner was actively working with a professional trainer to fix their behavior. I may also make exceptions for rescues who are going to get the training and socialization they need.

In my mind, I naturally would want to ban small dogs. There are PLENTY of places that allow them, and I do not like them. But if the dog is well-mannered then its size doesn't matter and I would respect the owner enough for having it trained to allow them to rent the home/apartment/whatever.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. The sweetest dog I have ever met are considered bully breeds so they are banned pretty much everywhere. My last apartment did a meet and greet with Zeus to make an exception since he was on the banned list and when they saw how gentle and sweet he was they allowed him in (that's back before I finished his training to be a service dog).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
And without a pet deposit (I find those so ridiculous). (:
I know right? at my last apartments, I had to pay 500 per dog for the deposit AND I had to play 50 extra a month on a rent per dog. All of this on top of the 800 I had to pay for the regular deposit as well as first and last months rent JUST TO MOVE IN. Total BS
Re-homed: December 30, 2011

GSD: Zeus
Born: April 2, 2012
Adopted: June 15, 2012

Golden Retriever: Juno
Born: April 6, 2012
Adopted: June 16, 2012
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.