Would You Allow ALL DOG BREEDS? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would You Allow All Dog Breeds In Your Rentals
Yes 31 38.75%
No 17 21.25%
It depends 35 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
umm, that might not be fair. i'll have to check with
the What's Fair Board.
Lol As a parent you should already have access 24/7

I simply meant that a dog should not be judged by his size only in my opinion, there are far more important factors to consider like temperament and training

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

I voted No but I should clarify it, My husband and I just talked about getting some rental property and we've decided that even though we have a zoo here at the house, and love them all, we would ban all animals at our rentals. No pets at all.
This comes from the problems we've seen friends have at their properties, with distruction of the rental property, I know all renters are not like that, but to just make it easy and not pick and choose, and since I do not believe in banning pets by breed, we would just ban pets. (I also know people without pets can be just as distructive)
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think its so much the breed, but the owner. I've always had dogs in apartments and I never interviewed with my dog with the landlord. I gave a reference, that always comes back good because I take care of my animals and living space. I've also never paid a pet deposit or extra to have a pet. If you have more then one unit, you should make sure that dogs coming in won't have a problem with dogs that are already there. I always introduce my dogs to the new dogs after about a week and that works well.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

what does being a parent have to do with renting an apartment
to someone with a Great Dane or a Chihuahua and treating
them the same? access 24/7 to what? what i ask you, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Lol As a parent you should already have access 24/7

I simply meant that a dog should not be judged by his size only in my opinion, there are far more important factors to consider like temperament and training
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
what does being a parent have to do with renting an apartment
to someone with a Great Dane or a Chihuahua and treating
them the same? access 24/7 to what? what i ask you, what?
I was just joking about the "it's only fair" comment and a parent had 24/7 access to the "what's fair" board because children are always asking that of adults. That part of the comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously, sorry for the confusion

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hmm, I would say it would depend, I would definitely consider any size and breed, but I'd want to make sure the dog is not going to be a big problem. I know what it's like to try and find an apartment that allows dogs.
It is extremely hard to find a place for me and Casey to live in the city around here, because of his breed and size. I lived in an apartment that was the only apartment in the whole city that allowed any breed/size of dog. I had no problems and the apartment never had any problems other than the odd complaint of dogs being noisy occasionally, but for the most part all the tenants seemed to respect each other and the dogs were all handled well. There were all different breeds from pitbulls to chihuahuas. The only reason I don't live there anymore is because the rent was sooo high, as it was right downtown.
I look regularly and very seldom do I find any apartment that allows big dogs that isn't in an area I would never want to live in. Though it all depends on the landlord, I've emailed a few over the months that have said they would allow him, but usually the price is just too high for me to afford right now. Though small dogs... NO problem! There are TONS of apartments that allow 'under 20 lbs'. It's very frustrating. The worst is when they say they allow dogs except 'aggressive breeds', and won't budge.

*RIP:* Shelby - GSD - 06/28/2008 - 12/18/2008
jade_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If my husband and I ever did do rentals we would more than likely have to have some type of standards as far as the dog's behavior goes at least. In a perfect world I would like to just say ' all dogs allowed,no matter what',but I have also seen what happens to people's properties when they don't ask more from the pet owners.

Example; My friend and her husband have some rental houses and they let a young lady move in with her two Chocolate Labs. The woman was an EMT and worked crazy hours so she kept the dogs a spare bedroom while she sometimes was at work for 24 hours. Anyway after the woman moved out my friend was horrified to see that there were not only pee/poop stains all over the hallway and back bedroom floor,but the dogs actually chewed a hole through the bedroom wall all the way into the next room! They had to be in that room for some time to do that amount of damage.

So yeah business wise I think if you are going to allow pets,you should at least see what the behavior is like. Dog lover wise, we would probably just like to say YES! your dog is allowed,no questions asked.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've been on the 'suffering' end of the rental-with-GSDs spectrum and it's just not fair to responsible owners. My current landlord allows my four dog max and didn't care what breeds, but I paid a $350 non-refundable pet fee to get it. His reason? "Every three or four renters I have one that just destroys the place and I have to re-do it, so the pet deposits pay for the overhaul".
That hurts me because my dogs haven't done a lick of damage to my house, so I just forked over $350 for someone ELSE's bad training/animal husbandry. Grumble mumble.

But if I was renting out a property, I would require contact with a previous landlord so I could get a handle on how they had treated their last property. If they'd trashed it, no go. If they were impeccable stewards then why the heck not?! Refundable pet deposit and call it a day.
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I put it depends, but I'd lean more toward no pets unless someone could provide proof (references and the like) that they would make a good tenet with pets. I would definitely say no cats.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

I voted that I would not ban any breed but I do have to clarify (since I would like to have a few properties by the time I retire):

1) No cats, rabbits or ferrets. Frankly, they stink, or their "accessories" do.
2) Preference would be given to large breed owners over small breeds or no dogs. Apartment hunting without pets is easy, with small dogs people have a chance, with large breeds - forget about it.
3) Renters must maintain CKC membership if they own a dog.
4) Minimum amount of liability insurance must carried on the dog.
angelas is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.