Puppies Or Adult Dogs? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you Prefer Puppies or Adult Dogs?
Puppies 15 26.32%
Adults 19 33.33%
Open to either 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Oh boy, all my adult adoptions (the Husky, the Dobe, the Aussie) would have been very offended if I would have even thought that. They all wanted and enjoyed a full body massage and cuddle. Sure, they were to big for my lap - but that didn't stop them from laying their big head in my lap and looking up at me with trust. Then flopping on the floor for their beloved tummy rubs. For me, there is absolutely no difference in the level of trust between them and my Sting who I had from a puppy.
How old were they? My Akita was 5 when we got him. I'm not saying he didn't relax and eventually trust us, he was just much more reserved and aloof than the dogs we had from a younger age. The dogs I raise from puppies are handled right from the start. We touch their toes, look in their ears, and their mouths, touch their tails anything we can think of that a vet my need to do. Right until the time he passed Kioshi would still try to pull his paws away from a nail clipping or duck his head to avoid an ear cleaning. He just wasn't as comfortable with being touched. Not saying he didn't like it and he eventually learned cuddles were ok it was just not as easy for him. Poor baby!
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

As most know, I am new to dogs. Training a puppy is difficult. I prefer an adult chill dog that is trained and well socialized so I can continue the good training. With puppies I think I am afraid of messing them up some how
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
. I've done oder rescues before and I know more and more trust will come with time, and I'll treasure every hug I get... but it will never be the easy flop on me roll onto the back in my lap for a full body massage and cuddle trust that comes with raising a dog from a puppy.
I haven't found that to be the case with the rescues I've worked with.
In fact my Golden, who may have been mistreated before we got her, was the most loving and trusting dog I've ever known. She was shy and scared of a lot of things when I first rescued her (including loud voices and raised hands) but once I helped her learn that nothing was going to hurt her she gained confidence very quickly and totally got over any fears to become a very outgoing and happy dog, who loved to sit on my lap and be picked up (even though she weighed 68 lbs LOL...) and would let anyone do anything to her, even wag her tail for the vet exam or when they poked her with a needle.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I will likely never get an adult dog again. I don't like them generally. They're harder to train, usually have more issues/quirks I don't want them to have, and it just takes so much longer to integrate them and train those issues away. I'd rather start with a blank slate.
My experience has been the exact opposite. I have owned both. Puppies purchased from breeders and brought in to my home at 8-11 weeks and adults adopted from shelters. I have also fostered many adult dogs coming straight from their surrendering homes, with a fairly even mix of dogs that have spent their entire lives as outside dogs and dogs that have been house pets.

I have found the adults to be easy to train, and have no more quirks or issues than the puppies. To me, in my home, the adults have been easier to acclimate. The adults adjust to my schedule, as opposed to the puppies that impose their schedules on me.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
How old were they? My Akita was 5 when we got him. I'm not saying he didn't relax and eventually trust us, he was just much more reserved and aloof than the dogs we had from a younger age.
This had more to do with the breed and less to do with his age. I owned and showed an Akita in the 80's, purchased as a puppy from her breeder, and she was always a reserved, aloof dog. As a 12 week old puppy and as a 6 year old adult. That is how they are.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Puppy!!! I love the puppy stage, and it goes by way too fast. I'd love to have a pup in the house at all times. Mine were so much fun, and very little trouble....I miss having a pup around.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
My experience has been the exact opposite. I have owned both. Puppies purchased from breeders and brought in to my home at 8-11 weeks and adults adopted from shelters. I have also fostered many adult dogs coming straight from their surrendering homes, with a fairly even mix of dogs that have spent their entire lives as outside dogs and dogs that have been house pets.

I have found the adults to be easy to train, and have no more quirks or issues than the puppies. To me, in my home, the adults have been easier to acclimate. The adults adjust to my schedule, as opposed to the puppies that impose their schedules on me.
Sheilah
So interesting how people meet different dogs or have different views on situations. Haha I would never think ANY of that about the adults dogs I've fostered or rescued. So weird.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
How old were they? My Akita was 5 when we got him. I'm not saying he didn't relax and eventually trust us, he was just much more reserved and aloof than the dogs we had from a younger age. The dogs I raise from puppies are handled right from the start. We touch their toes, look in their ears, and their mouths, touch their tails anything we can think of that a vet my need to do. Right until the time he passed Kioshi would still try to pull his paws away from a nail clipping or duck his head to avoid an ear cleaning. He just wasn't as comfortable with being touched. Not saying he didn't like it and he eventually learned cuddles were ok it was just not as easy for him. Poor baby!
The Husky was 2 , the Dobe 5, and the Aussie 4. interesting you mentioned the ear cleaning and nail clipping. A month after I got him, the Aussie came down with an ear infection. He hated having the drops put in. I rewarded him with roast beef each time he had the drops. I kept him on weekly ear cleanings after that to avoid any further infections. It wasn't his favorite thing, but for a high valued treat he tolerated it. For the nails, at first, the Husky would pull her paws away - again a very good treat did the trick. Also I would just touch her top paws only for the first few times - give a treat and each time- touch more, then advance to the nail clipping. She learned to accept it. No problems with the Dobe - though I rewarded her anyway. My Sting I trained from a puppy on with the weekly ear cleaning and the nails. Teaching him to accept the ear cleaning was just as hard as when I got my adult Aussie used to it. From the little I know of Akitas, as the other post mentioned, they are reserved.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.