Puppies Or Adult Dogs? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you Prefer Puppies or Adult Dogs?
Puppies 15 26.32%
Adults 19 33.33%
Open to either 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like both. I like training a puppy the way I prefer, but getting a adult dog has it's benefits to of already being housebroken and partially if not fully trained

It would depend on my situation, if I was to get a third dog right now it would be a adult

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I will likely never get an adult dog again. I don't like them generally. They're harder to train, usually have more issues/quirks I don't want them to have, and it just takes so much longer to integrate them and train those issues away. I'd rather start with a blank slate.
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For myself, definitely adults, ages 2 and up, with 4-5 being the best age to "adopt." I perfer mature dogs that are ready to learn - no teething, and no adolscence. Sting was my first puppy. He was an easy pup, and it was an educational and interesting experience to have had. My other dogs (Husky, Aussie, Dobe) were all adults. My Husky was 2 , Aussie 4, and Dobe 5 when I adopted them. The Husky was housetrained, but that was it - didn't even know the sit command. She learned quickly and retained what she learned, didn't forget like very young dogs can. Sure, there may be some problems to work on with the adults, but the to me it is very rewarding to help the dog achieve his full potential. And for the bonding, it was just as strong with the adult dogs I had, as with my GSD who I've had from a puppy.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Right now I prefer puppies but that's mostly because of my Pomeranian. We tried to adopt from a few shelters but since your dog has to immediately accept the dog you're looking at, we were never able to adopt from a shelter. Which I get, they have to keep the best interest of the dog in mind but it was frustrating.

My Pom needs a week or two to adjust to a new dog and then he's fine, he seems to deal with puppies better. One lady at the shelter said my Pom would never accept a new dog including a puppy... Well my Pom and our Golden(who we got Nov last year) are best buddies soooo...
Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My current dogs: Mac and Bruiser were both 8 weeks old when they came to live with me. Slider was 9 months old and Faith 15 months.

My vote goes to the older guys ... they were house trained, had enough obedience to be pleasant to be around, walked on a lead without pulling, and someone else did all the hard work!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've actually had the best luck with totally un- obedience trained (but house trained and house-mannered) rescued strays, versus adults that were from homes/supposed to be trained, etc... I've never had a young pup though yet, only older/rescue puppies.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Our next dog will be an adult or adolescent. My husband especially doesn't want to go through potty training again. The youngest I would go would be 6 or 7 months but I would prefer a little older.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I will likely never get an adult dog again. I don't like them generally. They're harder to train, usually have more issues/quirks I don't want them to have, and it just takes so much longer to integrate them and train those issues away. I'd rather start with a blank slate.

Too funny. I have the exact opposite feeling. I much prefer adult dogs, find them easier to train (longer attention span), they fit in to my routine easier and I although I do take dogs with issues, I don't find that they take long to work out at all. Plus, I love the challenge.

I like puppies but love adult dogs and their flexibility. Have my first senior (foster) and I adore him. Aside from the medical issues, he's so low maintenance. My younger shepherds have the drive to do work and I get to snuggle with the older ones when I have down time.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I prefer an older puppy 5-6 months, still young enough to socialize but old enough to potty train quickly. Tasha at 7 is potty trained and a darling but doesn't have that easy "I love you" trust that comes so quickly with the young ones. I've done oder rescues before and I know more and more trust will come with time, and I'll treasure every hug I get... but it will never be the easy flop on me roll onto the back in my lap for a full body massage and cuddle trust that comes with raising a dog from a puppy.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I prefer an older puppy 5-6 months, still young enough to socialize but old enough to potty train quickly. Tasha at 7 is potty trained and a darling but doesn't have that easy "I love you" trust that comes so quickly with the young ones. I've done oder rescues before and I know more and more trust will come with time, and I'll treasure every hug I get... but it will never be the easy flop on me roll onto the back in my lap for a full body massage and cuddle trust that comes with raising a dog from a puppy.
Oh boy, all my adult adoptions (the Husky, the Dobe, the Aussie) would have been very offended if I would have even thought that. They all wanted and enjoyed a full body massage and cuddle. Sure, they were to big for my lap - but that didn't stop them from laying their big head in my lap and looking up at me with trust. Then flopping on the floor for their beloved tummy rubs. For me, there is absolutely no difference in the level of trust between them and my Sting who I had from a puppy.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.