Do You Carry Protection Against Dog Attack? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you Carry Protection Against Attack?
Pepper Spray 37 31.62%
Citronella Spray or Other Spray (Please Name Other) 6 5.13%
Taser 1 0.85%
Stun Gun 1 0.85%
Baton or Stick 24 20.51%
Other 64 54.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #41 (permalink)

Im going to buy a taser. The trainer for my GSD used to be a cop and he says that a taser is probably the best thing to carry on you when you go out. He sells some that can be used as a flashlight, it makes a loud noise (to scare of dogs, wild animals, attackers, etc.) and if the noise doesn't work, you can taser your attacker (dog, person, etc.) and it will knock them out for a while. Im going to buy mine this week. Once my family went for a walk and a pit bull came across their path and growled at them and wanted to attack them. They were so scared, but luckily the pit eventually walked away because my family just stood there. A taser would be great to have in situations like that.
mocamacho92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocamacho92 View Post
. . . he says that a taser is probably the best thing to carry on you when you go out. He sells some. . .
Huh.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I think a gun is a poor choice for defense against dogs.
I agree with this completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Huh.
And this made me chuckle. You are thinking the same thing I am... Well of course he says its best, after all he can sell you one right here lol.

I do think a taser gun is the best way to go personally. But it has to be the right one. The kind that shoots out AND you can just press up against them if you miss. It will knock a dog right out and end the assault period.
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Actually, I bring my wife because I can run faster than she can.

You are in soooo much trouble if she reads this!

I use pepper spray, the regular kind. Have never had an issue with blowback, and have used it half a dozen times effectively. I like the Sabre Red brand.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #45 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used to until my pepper spray bottle broke and i have not bought any more... so i will as soon as i end up back at a police/military surplus store for more spray.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
well I hit pepper spray, but after reading it could backfire, I think I may change to the citronella..someone else suggested to me wasp spray since we've had some bear sightings around here lately.

I've had more encounters with 'dogs' than wildlife or weird people. So I got some pepper spray but haven't needed it yet ..

I hope I never have to use anything, Masi is one that wouldn't hesitate to 'give back' what she'd get from another dog, but I really don't want her in that position nor do I want myself in that position.

If the hubby tags along, he has a pistol he carries.
I keep wasp spray at home to use on wasps and humans if necessary. I heard that they have to be treated in the ER if they get it in their eyes or they will go blind. I just can't get too worked up about a blind mugger or robber. But I would not want to use it on a dog. For some reason, I think that someone irresponsible enough to let their dog run around attacking people, might not be too fussed about getting the dog to the vet quick to flush the eyes. I guess I feel more concerned about blinding dog then blinding a criminal.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I carry "The Look"

So far it has been enough to any dog attacking me or my dogs.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I keep wasp spray at home to use on wasps and humans if necessary. I heard that they have to be treated in the ER if they get it in their eyes or they will go blind. I just can't get too worked up about a blind mugger or robber. But I would not want to use it on a dog. For some reason, I think that someone irresponsible enough to let their dog run around attacking people, might not be too fussed about getting the dog to the vet quick to flush the eyes. I guess I feel more concerned about blinding dog then blinding a criminal.
But it's okay if they are shot, instead? I thought you said you were not one to get worked up about this sort of thing because the owner should have control of their dog in the first place. Expect the worst if your dog is not contained, etc.

I'd rather my dog be blinded than dead.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

So far, kicking the opposing dog and swearing loudly,insultingly and abusively at the owner has worked well. I do have a baton(night stick) from my Marine MP days but in the Democratic Republic of Massatwoships it isn't easy to get an FID for that. Being a guy, I don't expect any problems from personal attackers, probably not a wise expectation.

Last edited by PaddyD; 03-20-2012 at 09:14 PM.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
But it's okay if they are shot, instead? I thought you said you were not one to get worked up about this sort of thing because the owner should have control of their dog in the first place. Expect the worst if your dog is not contained, etc.

I'd rather my dog be blinded than dead.
Sometimes, I suppose people might take a weird pleasure in getting threads locked.

Let me try to remember, yeah the thread where the cop shot the territorial, aggressive, loose dog in front of the brat, and the idiot owner was blaming everyone but himself for his dog being shot, like the cop, and the security guard that called the cops on his dog. A dog can recover completely from being shot, but if an idiot owner does not take his dog to the vet to flush the wasp spray, the dog can be blind forever. It is up to us to protect our dogs, not to allow them to run around biting cops in the ankles. No, I am not going to jump on the idiot owner's bandwagon against the cops because he was too stupid to manage his known territorial dog, not once, but multiple times.

What I might carry, what I might do to a dog, may be different than what I might expect other people to do; therefore, I keep my dogs safely on my property or on leash and under control. It is called management. It is part of dog-ownership.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.