Do You Carry Protection Against Dog Attack? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you Carry Protection Against Attack?
Pepper Spray 37 31.62%
Citronella Spray or Other Spray (Please Name Other) 6 5.13%
Taser 1 0.85%
Stun Gun 1 0.85%
Baton or Stick 24 20.51%
Other 64 54.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Umbrellas are good esp. if you can find one like i saw in one old James Bond movie withy a razor sharp tip on it!
HAHA
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

baton/ASP make sure you check your local laws. Many places require a weapon permit to carry one, especially if you get the collapsible ASP.

For me, depends on where I am walking. Sometimes, nothing and will grab a big branch from the ground if necessary.

Sometimes, I have the ASP.

Sometimes, I have the Glock.
If DH is with me, there is automatically a gun and a knife.
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

After reading of one members resent attack I will be adding mace to my supply. I am gonna need a belt with retractable "chains"(?) I forget what they are called... more like a police belt lol all for a nice quiet walk.
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Heh! Heh!

But how about if it is just you and your dog?

Bet he/she can outrun you if it comes to that!
It's not her job to run, it's mine.

PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

I carry a handgun although that's not specifically for dog attacks or anything, it's for general self defense.

That said I would use my feet/legs to the best of my ability to avoid needing to do *that.* I need to get ahold of some pepper spray though to have on hand so that I have something to use in between "feet" and "gun."
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Your own pit bull! Just kidding!

How about a 3' club! Or a police baton! Assuming that one is able and willing to whack an attacking dog on the top of their furry head!
Oh, believe me, I would hit to kill without compunction if any dog attacked me or my loved one unprovoked. With as many dogs that are put down every year in this country for lack of a home, I am not going to worry about an aggressive dog attacking us.

Like I said, I've been attacked before - gash on upper left thigh, cuts and scrapes on other three limbs, and the da_n dog was jumping for my face. I could have killed him right then and there with absolutely NO GUILT WHATSOEVER if I'd had the right weapon. Two people were able to get the dog off of me.

Fact is, I would not purposely spare any critter or human that attacked me or a loved one. Call me cold hearted, but life is too short to wait for the next attack on me or someone else.

Last edited by Jo_in_TX; 03-20-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Jo_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
baton/ASP make sure you check your local laws. Many places require a weapon permit to carry one, especially if you get the collapsible ASP.

For me, depends on where I am walking. Sometimes, nothing and will grab a big branch from the ground if necessary.

Sometimes, I have the ASP.

Sometimes, I have the Glock.
If DH is with me, there is automatically a gun and a knife.
This. Exactly this.

21 inch collapsable asp every single time me and my girl go walking since our neighbors dog attacked her.

I've since chased him off twice with the asp. I didn't even have to hit him with it. The first time it happened I was completely defenseless. I kicked him as hard as I could in the ribs and it didn't phase him.

Kicking a big angry dog like that is worthless. I think people underestimate how much pain a big, angry dog can handle. I'm 220 lbs, know how to throw a kick, and it did absolutely nothing to deter the attack. If you are out walking and think that kicking a dog when it's locked onto yours will stop it, youre not being realistic. You might get lucky and it leave, or it might attack you.

Sometimes i carry my glock .45.

Knife too, but that's a given.

In Kentucky, and most likely the majority of states you could carry the asp with or without the permit, just make sure it's in view. Contrary to what people would like you to believe, you are allowed to carry a deadly weapon (in most states), like an asp or baton. The moment it is placed out of view, though, you are breaking a law. Check your states laws. Handgunlaw.us is a great resource.
Ponder85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

i carry a good solid stick, usually oak w/a fitted grip and leather wrist handle, and a 3.5' blade strapped to my ankle w/finger grips, the blade has a gutting hook on the end of it. if me or mine are attacked they won't make it out alive. i don't like guns because it's too easy to panic and make a dead end of someone at a moments notice. w/a 18" long stick 3" around, it's a good solid bone cracking warning that will send anyone off and if they don't, i definitely know how to use my knife.

i haven't had to worry about ppl in a long time tho w/these dogs. it's funny how ppl respond to sheps as compared to collies.

dw
Dragonwyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No, nearly all of those are illegal to carry here anyway. I've never had a problem with an off-leash dog before, in fact I've only ever seen one dog off leash when it wasn't supposed to be in my whole life and its owner was with it.

If a dog did attack us, I would let Chrono handle it and I would boot the crap out of the other dog. If it was the type of dog to bite and hold, I would choke it out with the leash.

I never worry about dog attacks. Our animal control is excellent.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
No, nearly all of those are illegal to carry here anyway.
What are you legally allowed to protect yourself with???

Its funny, the places in the states with the strictest gun laws are the ones with the highest crime rates. Is it that way for yall in Canada?
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.