Do You Carry Protection Against Dog Attack? - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you Carry Protection Against Attack?
Pepper Spray 37 31.62%
Citronella Spray or Other Spray (Please Name Other) 6 5.13%
Taser 1 0.85%
Stun Gun 1 0.85%
Baton or Stick 24 20.51%
Other 64 54.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I don't carry anything but a poop bag. My dog is my protection against bad people and I will drop the leash and allow him to protect himself if we are attacked by another dog (or I'll kick it).
Same here. Ill let him protect him self so ill drop the leash. If there is two ill take one and he can have the other lol
bryant88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #112 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Since we've moved, I've found it absolutely needed to carry something when walking Grim. There are a LOT of dogs here running loose. Most are pits or pit mixes. It would be a total hazard to Grim to not carry something in case one of those dogs decides to attack him.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #113 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ive never felt the need to carry anything, if anything happens I know my dog(s) will protect me, if a dog attacks me, then well I will have to kick it if I cant stop it otherwise
Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #114 (permalink)

I just carry a flashlight but I am thinking about a no bite collar. We had one and did not like how it scratched the other dogs in my household. So I would have to just put it on durring walks and trips out of the house. But A stick or Flashlight is a good idea We have been attacked by a pitmix that belonged Our very drunk idiot neighbor that is also on pain meds for backpain (which is fine without the Booze mixed with it). THe dog Bit my German Shepard Malamute Mix that had just had surgery.He went right for the stitches. I was pregnant, and I was kicking the dog to get the stupid thing off my dog. My dad was there totally not knowing what to do. THe drug enduced neighbor was so drunk he was no help at all. My dad is in his 70's. But in good shape but didnt know what to do really. I was still kicking the putbull that has ahold of my dogs neck and he was a pit so he wasent letting go. the neigbors friend finally came out and got him to release with some collar thing. Well we were lucky as **** that the dog was really old and his teeth were very dull and my malmute had this amazing fuzzy neck that saved him. the pitbull dog could not get a grip on the skin he just a mouth full of fuzz. HA. But it wasent good for the stitches because Buddy was pulling away. We has him stiched back up. Buddy was such an old dog, He did live another 3-4 more years and my son who I was pregnant with got to enjoy him. I had a Springer mix and a lab as well and then we got the White Shepherd. Now we have Kaiser the tan and Black and the springer and the lab still. My Pack : ) But yeah we dont go without a flashlight one of those big maglights and I am thinking about a no bite collar for all of them!

Last edited by Kaiser2000; 02-08-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Kaiser2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #115 (permalink)

Loose dogs have caused problems for me and my dogs several times over the years...

All of the times this has happened, my dogs have always backed me up. I carry pepper spray, and have not had to use it.

Although after this last incident (one of my dogs got a puncture that I missed, and it abscessed ), I am just going to mace any dog that runs up to us in any remotely aggressive way.

I carry pepper spray and a stick with my youngest GSD...she specifically looks to me for protection.
TankGrrl66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #116 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGrrl66 View Post
Loose dogs have caused problems for me and my dogs several times over the years...

All of the times this has happened, my dogs have always backed me up. I carry pepper spray, and have not had to use it.

Although after this last incident (one of my dogs got a puncture that I missed, and it abscessed ), I am just going to mace any dog that runs up to us in any remotely aggressive way.

I carry pepper spray and a stick with my youngest GSD...she specifically looks to me for protection.
Just curious, how old is your puppy that looks to you for protection?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #117 (permalink)

lol, in the uk you cant carry anything. No pepper spray, sticks, poles ect. I am not allowed to carry a metal stick with out a medical reason why. I used to just carry a swiss army knife with a 6inch blade among many other things. Got searched by the police. I would of got sent to the young offenders but i explained that i am an engineering student and i just came back from workk

I dont know what id do if a dog attacked us. I know most of the dogs in our area and ones to watch out for but still..its just me, hands and the thought of loosing kai/watching him be attacked. Ill do anything to stop that. Maybe use something from the floor, scare the dog with a bin (making loud noises and waving it around lol)
dylano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #118 (permalink)

I carry pepper spray. The last time I used it was to separate my last dog (English Setter) from a family of raccoons that got into my garage. I sprayed the raccoons, it was an interesting confrontation. I opened the garage door and my dog treed them in the front yard. We all suffered the effects of the spray, but no lasting injuries
autoluver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylano View Post
lol, in the uk you cant carry anything. No pepper spray, sticks, poles ect. I am not allowed to carry a metal stick with out a medical reason why. I used to just carry a swiss army knife with a 6inch blade among many other things. Got searched by the police. I would of got sent to the young offenders but i explained that i am an engineering student and i just came back from workk

I dont know what id do if a dog attacked us. I know most of the dogs in our area and ones to watch out for but still..its just me, hands and the thought of loosing kai/watching him be attacked. Ill do anything to stop that. Maybe use something from the floor, scare the dog with a bin (making loud noises and waving it around lol)
We're working our way towards that. I can't wait.
hotrod2448 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #120 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i carry bear spray when the bears are out. had to use it once so far.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.