Do you "license" your dogs? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you "license" your dogs?
My county/locale does not require dog licenses. 26 15.03%
I have no idea if my county/locale requires dog licenses or not. 6 3.47%
My county/locale requires dog licenses and I do license my dogs. 108 62.43%
My county/locale requires dog licenses and I do not license my dogs. 33 19.08%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

According to the Ohio Revised code, the money goes to the dog/kennel fund. Out of this fund administration costs, and license tags are paid, reimbursement to farmers can be made for loss cause by dogs, the animal control officer and his expenses are paid, as well as board for stray animals. After a sufficient amount is set aside against losses of livestock for the next year, a donation can be made out of the fund to a society for the protection from cruelty of animals and children. I am paraphrasing of course.

If they hike it more than $2.00 in any year or number of years (not sure) they will have to send a certain amount out of every fee collected to the Veterinary research hospital to prevent canine diseases in Columbus.

If you want to know where the money goes, check out your state's revised code. It is public information.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

License is $20 for altered and $24 for unaltered. Oddly enough they do not require proof of rabies vaccination, which I think is incredibly short sighted.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Out here the annual dog license fee was €12.50 up until this January, when the price shot up to €20. Since we got Juno near the end of last year, we bought our license for her the day before the price went up.

I find the license a bit annoying and pointless since she's already chipped and has a tag. (How many different ways do you need to identify who owns a dog??)
I haven't got a clue what money for the license goes to. And since the drastic hike in price this year, my bet is that it's just another way to extract money from the general public.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I just licensed my dogs with the county today. It is $12 for SN, $26 for intact, prices double March 1 - Nov. 30. Licensing is required for dogs 4 months and older and is done annually. It's basically the county's proof of rabies (you must have a valid 1-3 year rabies cert). I haven't kept up with this and didn't want my GSDs targeted with BSL but BSL doesn't seem to be a problem here and two of my dogs got out on Sunday.
Same here.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Elite Member

It is law over here to register dogs and cats and the fine if you don't is hefty!!! Entire dogs are over $100 and desexed dogs are $15 so there is a pretty big incentive to desex your animals.
Also the state of Victoria has just passed new laws that ALL dogs and cats advertised for sale MUST be microchipped and the number provided in the ad or the newspaper etc are not allowed to include the ad and you must provide the number at registration or the animal cannot be registered until it has been microchipped.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

The cities in my county all require dog licenses, (although as far as I know, nobody ever checks), but I'm in an unincorporated part of the county I live in, so none of the city laws apply. I tried to research online once what the laws were regarding licenses and I wasn't able to find out what they are or where to go to get one, so I never pursued it.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
The cities in my county all require dog licenses, (although as far as I know, nobody ever checks),
I live out in the sticks......closest town along way away and the ranger comes all the way out here and visits all the farms checking registrations......we can't even get away with it out here!!!!
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master Member

Where I am there is a hefty fine - $100/dog - that is unlicensed, neutered or not.

To license an intact dog is $60/year, to license an altered dog not microchipped is $35/life and to license an altered dog with a microchip is free for life.

With that said, no one checks up on you. They only find out if you have a complaint and they come to your house, or if your dogs get picked up.

All of the dogs who come out of our local HS have been altered (or come with a certificate for a free spay/neuter) and they have all been microchipped, so I think they do it this way to make it easy on people who choose to adopt.
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master Member

I honestly have no clue whatsoever if I'm supposed to have him licensed. He has his rabies shot tag, I don't know if I paid for that then or not? His vet is in another county though so I wouldn't think so.

Nobody has ever come this far out in the sticks that either I or my parents can remember to check so I suspect as long as you aren't in a town where local ordinance requires it you don't need to have your dog licensed.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yup. It went up a couple of years ago. $12 for S/N and $24 for intact. At least now we can buy a three year license and can do it on line.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.